Friends want us to join them on the Solstice, convince me, an RCI fan

abridalmaven

I have cruised in NCL hated it, and the majority of our cruises are on RCI. We love BIG ships with lots to do. We do not waste all day courting skin cancer by the pool, but want things to do. Food is somehat important but we eat to live not live to eat and I am mildly claustrophobic and like big open spaces. Our friends who also cruise want to try this ship. We have been on all the sizes of RCI and like Radiance and above and we have the Oasis booked for 2010.

So I would like input from those who have cruised both lines why I should try the Solstice.

So I would like input from those who have cruised both lines why I should try the Solstice.

I've cruised on both lines and enjoyed both, but prefer Celebrity over RCI (actually, my 1st choice now is Azamara, but I won't go into that since you like big ships.)

I think the best reason for going on Solstice is because your friends asked you.:)

But if you need even more convincing, these articles might help:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=381&kw=51777&eng=CCSEM&content=

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=694

We've sailed both, and I prefer Celebrity. For us, the biggest difference is that X is a bit more subdued. We're not into things like "sexiest legs" contests or silly pool games, and there aren't any of those on X. There are still activities, but they're a bit less frat-house style.

I am not a foodie and am always happy with the meals on RCCI, but the desserts are better on X :D. We've found that the service is a step-above as well. We have found that our stateroom attendants aren't as likely to hang around and chat with us, and instead just do their job very well. We also LOVE not hearing the constant announcements (there are announcements at noon only on X).

You may want to check out some of the Celebrity Todays posted at cruisedailies.com to get an idea of the programmes and activities.

Hope this helps!

I have cruised in NCL hated it, and the majority of our cruises are on RCI. We love BIG ships with lots to do. We do not waste all day courting skin cancer by the pool, but want things to do. Food is somehat important but we eat to live not live to eat and I am mildly claustrophobic and like big open spaces. Our friends who also cruise want to try this ship. We have been on all the sizes of RCI and like Radiance and above and we have the Oasis booked for 2010.

Hi, Barb. I like the Aqua Class idea on the Solstice. But you wouldn't want to do that unless your friends were also Aqua Class since there is the special dining venue for that class.

Otherwise, you would have to take up putt-putt and other lawn activities instead of the flow-rider....;):D

I agree... first it would be the best to cruise with friends. That is a big factor for me when cruising. I am going on HAL next month ONLY because it is my friend's birthday and she REALLY wanted me to be there. I am also a big fan of RCCL. I think it is a great mix for many. I tried my first Celebrity cruise this last summer on the Century. We had a really great time. While more sedate than RCCL ships (by far) I do think the Solstice is going to offer much more to do. We liked the food much better with Celebrity and loved the NO announcement policy. I don't know how you cruise, but we always cruise in a balcony cabin. I thought Celebrity had the best, standard balcony I have seen. I love having a full size table to enjoy breakfast (or whatever) on the balcony. The Solstice is going to have awesome balcony furniture as well. This is something that I can't understand why RCCL (and others) fail so badly. They obviously have this down with Celebrity, but their Royal ships have very bad balcony furniture.

We are taking our older kids on the Solstice in May. We are sailing the Med. so I don't think there will be anything to complain about. We have sailed the Med. twice on the Brilliance of the Seas and so far, that is my favorite ship. We shall see how the Solstice stacks up. We are not sun worshippers either so I prefer pool time in an indoor space and I love that the Solstice has an indoor pool. This is another thing that I think is SOOOO stupid with Royal and their bigger ships. I love the Solarium on the Radiance class. Why their bigger ships don't have this option is beyond me. When you have bad weather, it just makes their ships WAY to crowded for my taste. The pool really displaces a lot of people and when they aren't there, they are all crammed in the promenade area.

I think the most important factor is, if you enjoy spending a cruising vacation with your friend, how could it possibly be bad?? I think the Solstice is going to be incredibly nice... I think it is beautiful, and the cabins look amazing (even the refurb Royal ships aren't attractive) and also, we LOVED the outdoor bar area. Not the pool bar, but a nice sit down bar at the stern. We loved the Sunset Bar best of all on the Century and really thought RCCL should have something like this.

I think it's going to be super cool to sail on a new ship. I never have before... I have followed it for months and months and that adds to the excitement.

I am not a fan of NCL or Carnival. BUT... even with that I have never had a bad cruise ANYtime! After 2 weeks on the Century, my husband and I said that we really did prefer Royal... but only for a few things. After seeing all the pictures and following the progress of the Solstice, I am not sure I will still feel that way after sailing on her. I can't wait to find out!:D

Hi, A Bridal Maven! We are Diamond level RCI, but I took a chance and booked Solstice. Also, like you, I am a huge fan of RCI's biggest ships. We will book Oasis when we are on Independence in December.

I am also claustrophobic, like you. That is why I won't sail Carnival again, but that is another story.

Anyway, I will gladly try to answer any questions you might have about Solstice after our Cruise to Nowhere in ten days. Because you and I both appreciate the same amenities in ships, I hope I can help you out.

Hi, A Bridal Maven! We are Diamond level RCI, but I took a chance and booked Solstice. Also, like you, I am a huge fan of RCI's biggest ships. We will book Oasis when we are on Independence in December.

I am also claustrophobic, like you. That is why I won't sail Carnival again, but that is another story.

Anyway, I will gladly try to answer any questions you might have about Solstice after our Cruise to Nowhere in ten days. Because you and I both appreciate the same amenities in ships, I hope I can help you out.

HS,Thanks that would be great.:D

As for cruising with friends, we rarely cruise any other way. But these friends we have not cruised with yet so we do not know their cruise style yet. I am not a hyper person, I like putt-putt, but too laid back is hard on me, I get bored easily. This ship looks like it has more to do than other Celebrity ships, so that is why it is a consideration.

I have never had bad meal on RCI ( NCL is another story) and am not real fussy about food, I like good food but when I am with others I am more invloved in the conversation than the meal. And since I live in NY we never have to travel for extraordinary culinary delights. I like balconeys, but do not need them, will take one if the price is right.

TW, Aqua Class I am sure is not a possiblity at this point. Not with another cruised booked a few months later. When are you going?

Well this is all just speculation at this point, unless I sell a few houses by then, it may not even happen.

Thank you all for your help.

TW, Aqua Class I am sure is not a possiblity at this point. Not with another cruised booked a few months later. When are you going?

That is kind of open ended at the moment. We were booked for Jan. Then cancelled because older DD and SIL wanted us to go to Disney with them in Jan. Then they decided to make the trip in the Fall. So we rebooked for Jan. Then MIL ended up back in hospital in respiratory failure. She is still in hospital although they were able to extubate her. And since this is not going to get better, we decided we wouldn't plan anything that we couldn't change at the last minute should we decide we wanted to. So we cancelled again. (Poor booking reps!:eek::o)

We will see what the future holds with MIL then look at cruising plans again.

Well...seeing how we know each other's cruise style (hee-hee) I think you should give Sosltice a try! As you know, Lee and I are huge RCCL fans and while our initial experience on Constellation was less than stellar, our cruise on Century was brilliant. I know you are careful about what you eat, you would love the AquaSpa cafe. The decor on Sosltice looks outstanding. The atmosphere will be a little more adult focused. I think this ship will be very comparable to the Radiance-class ships.

Are you guys Diamond yet? Your status is transferable to the Celebrity program.

I think this ship will suit your style!

Mike

Well...seeing how we know each other's cruise style (hee-hee) I think you should give Sosltice a try! As you know, Lee and I are huge RCCL fans and while our initial experience on Constellation was less than stellar, our cruise on Century was brilliant. I know you are careful about what you eat, you would love the AquaSpa cafe. The decor on Sosltice looks outstanding. The atmosphere will be a little more adult focused. I think this ship will be very comparable to the Radiance-class ships.

Are you guys Diamond yet? Your status is transferable to the Celebrity program.

I think this ship will suit your style!

Mike

Thanks Mike, we will definately consider it. Yes we made Diamond in March, so it is nice to know we can transfer the status. and since we are already booked on the Oasis, Phil will have his Flowrider to look forward to. say Hi to Lee!

Thanks Mike, we will definately consider it. Yes we made Diamond in March, so it is nice to know we can transfer the status. say Hi to Lee!

Hey Barb,

Diamond on RCCL will make you Elite on Celebrity. We got some nice perks while on Century: party invitations, bridge tour, backstage tour.

I mentioned to Lee that you had asked this question, he felt you and Phil would enjoy Solstice too!

I can't believe that I have to wait until February for our cruise on Solstice. How is a man to cope?

Mike

Hey Barb,

Diamond on RCCL will make you Elite on Celebrity. We got some nice perks while on Century: party invitations, bridge tour, backstage tour.

I mentioned to Lee that you had asked this question, he felt you and Phil would enjoy Solstice too!

I can't believe that I have to wait until February for our cruise on Solstice. How is a man to cope?

Mike

Mike... I agree... I have to wait until May and it seems so far away... All I have is you kind people posting fun things about my ship:)

Oh by the way... You gave me lots of great info for the Century awhile back. It was awesome! What a VERY nice smaller ship. We loved it!

Archived