NYC Cruise to Nowhere

Woodfaerie

Is the cost of this cruise really worth it? I am looking into a surprise 30th birthday party for my DD November of 2009. What a fun experience it would be, especially since its the Dream, but holy cow!!!:eek: The price is outrageous! It will be over $400 pp for an inside. If it weren't for the darn airfare, I could find a 3-4 day journey for the same price in some other part of the country. Anyone care to share their experiences on this mini trip? I am really wondering what time we can embark on departure day. If we could embark early in the day, then at least we have, sort of, another full day. Thanks for sharing!

Is the cost of this cruise really worth it? I am looking into a surprise 30th birthday party for my DD November of 2009. What a fun experience it would be, especially since its the Dream, but holy cow!!!:eek: The price is outrageous! It will be over $400 pp for an inside. If it weren't for the darn airfare, I could find a 3-4 day journey for the same price in some other part of the country. Anyone care to share their experiences on this mini trip? I am really wondering what time we can embark on departure day. If we could embark early in the day, then at least we have, sort of, another full day. Thanks for sharing!

I myself have not done it, but have friends who have. They got it for under $200 per person and still found it way too expensive for what they got. They got dinner, crowds, a night of partying that they had to pay for (alcohol is not included in the cost). A lot of time was wasted just exploring the ship, waiting on lines, etc... They got on the ship around 1PM and got off around 8 or 9 the next morning. You still have to pay for drinks. For that kind of money, I would recommend staying in a hotel, going to show and a great dinner.

As a TA, I don't think it is worth it. Add in parking or getting to the port, plus your drinks etc. on the ship and you can stay overnight in a nice hotel, see a show and have a wonderful dinner for less than what that cruise costs.

The ship usually leaves about 4:00 pm and you are back at the dock at 7:30 or 8:30 Am. For 16 hours, you can do a lot more staying overnight in the city.

I should have mentioned this is a 2 day. $400 pp will be for, what I think could be about 44 hours squeezed on the ship. (embark at noon Friday, debark at 9 Sunday) DD is a lightweight so bar bill will be low and I am not a big drinker at all.

She wants something connected to NY for her big 30, but you and previous poster Crirun are probably right. Even with an expensive hotel (are there an affordable in the good sections?) and a decent night out to a club with dinner, it will be alot less than the 2 day cruise. Only problem is, I am paying for it and I AM A CRUISE ADDICT!

There is just so much to do and see in New York that if she wants New York connected, a cruise is not the way to go. I still think $400 per per person is way over the top for two nights.

On a better note, I heard the prices of hotels in New York have come down in price. This might be the right time to pay us a visit. :D

If you take the one-night cruise for what it is, it can be a lot of fun, especially with a group. You should be able to get a much better price though. We have gone on several of these and if you go with an open mind, and look at it as a night out, as opposed to a vacation, you can have a lot of fun.

It is not fair or reasonable to compare a show on a ship (with the possible exception of Disney, or the John Legend concert on last year's Amex cruise on the Gem), or a dinner on a ship (again, with some notable exceptions) to a top-notch land-based restaurant.

OK did the one nighter out NYC on the Spirit, loved the ship, but would NEVER spend that kind of money again, it is very hard to get reservations, all in all the extras, and you have have to share the ship with A LOT of people who came only to get drunk, this was my Dd 21st birthday and even she said, the drunks were over the top. It is very expensive and they had a crappy show. I am spending just a little more to go on a 7 day to BERMUDA.

Just in MY HUMBLE OPINION, I would not go again.

mew1

Thank you posters. Your feedback has been very valuable. I think we'll do a land celebration. If it was inexpensive, maybe I could justify putting up with certain things but this 2 day'er will cost a mint. How does the west coast get away with $70/1 day cruises to no where!

They dropped the price substantially for this year's two day once the cruise was within 3 months of sailing and it was much cheaper than staying in NYC so if you can wait you will get a much better deal.

I am booked on the 8 day on the 15th and waiting to see if I can add the two day to it once the price drops which it will.

Anyway you look at it, I'll have that weekend reserved off, whether it be by land or sea. That way, IF the prices drop significantly for the cruise, I will be in a position to book. Hard to say where the economy may be at that point. Maybe I'll get a good deal either way!

Archived