Do you remember Royal Caribbean of 20 years ago?

I remember the golden age of cruising though I only did 2 RCCL ships then. The passenger talent shows were held at night and were such a big deal, the dinners had vegetables in trays where you chose what you wanted and they came around with 4 or 5 salad dressing and put them on your hearts of lettuce salad. I also remember the champagne waterfall on Princess back in 1999 but it was gone in 2000 when I sailed with them. I also remember the broadway shows, the cramped cabins, and the relaxing atmosphere of the ship where at night the only 2 things to do really were gambling or dancing whereas now you have so many options but what used to make cruising so special has disappeared. The only reason I still cruise is because I enjoy my hotel moving at night while allowing me to see new places and also to meet other interesting people which is far more difficult at a land based resort. The megaships are nice but how I wish the standards were the same as they were 15 years ago. Cavier at dinner, delicious entrees, waiters who treated you specially, and a captain who shook your hand at the captain's cocktail party. Celebrity still does this but only if you go the past passenger party (I think it might have been for select and elite guests only.)

Sincerely,

JC

Celebrity Constellation December 27, 2003
Celebrity Galaxy June 30, 2003
NCL Dawn Dec 21, 2002
Celebrity Millenium 7/18/01
Grand Princess 2000
Royal Princess 1999

Other Cruises:
Carnival: Holiday, Jubilee (2 times), Celebration, Fantasy, Ectasy
Celebrity: Meridian
Dolphin Cruises: Island Breeze
Holland America: Westerdam
NCL: Dreamward (Pre-stretch), Norway, Southward, Norwegian Majesty(when owned by Majesty Cruise lines)
RCCL: Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas
Several others can't remember
Carnival Destiny Spring Break Cruise 2/29/04
Cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;02;29;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

This thread really has us thinking back over all our past cruises.

Do you remember when ships accepted cash money for everything? No shock at the end of the cruise when your sign & sail bill does not fit under the door.

Ladies did not wear slacks into the dining room and men would not be seen at dinner without a jacket & tie. You also sat at your assigned table for breakfast & dinner.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Voyager of the Seas from Bayonne, NJ

Yes, the generosity of the ship line has gone. I still have the Western Night cow boy hats and neckerchiefs as well as other theme night free-bees.
Departing from home base streamers were dispensed and thrown to the waving crowd below. Do you remember the "Ship Shape Exercise on a decks outside ?
Today, Cruise directors/staff are from a different school.

Re: costumes - - I remember a lady with her three teen daughters. They represented the "three coins and the fountain". On another cruise we had to guess what the individuals represented. There was a husband and wife team; he had locks hanging around his neck while she wore a big bagel. I guess you figured out what they represented.
It is not the size of the ship that matters, but the atmosphere.
Memories are nice and you all brought some more back.
Our next sailing is on the Jewel of the Seas.

My cruising experiences only go back to 1988, but I can remember being greeted by a line of "white gloved" officers and crew members as you embarked then someone walked you to your cabin. Last time, and probably because we were one of the first on, only one person welcomed us aboard.

Kathy

The Song of America was my wife and I's first cruise on her 22 voyage. It may sound funny but we remembered the little packets of shampoo and conditioner that had a coconut scent. Even after the cruise I always thought of it when I smelled coconut shampoo. Ramjet

my first cruise was on the sun viking in 1978, i was 14. i got my first french kiss on that cruise (not the drink). i have been cruising ever since. i would like to thank my parents and my hubby for spoiling me through the years.

hkmom

legend hawaii here we come
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2003;4;7;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

thanksgiving carnival pride
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2003;11;23;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

til we see our stingrays again on the rhapsody
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;4;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

We still use the address book we won in a trivia game in 1987 on the Song of Norway along with a set of coasters. That was our first cruise ever and we sailed to the western Caribbean. We liked it so well that when they moved the Song of Norway to the southern route out of San Juan in 1988, we were on her again.
How many remember up - over and down or down- under and up on the SON and the outside stairs to get to the very small Viking Crown Lounge?
We saw her as the Sundream docked in San Juan last year. She still looks good for an old lady.

Radiance to Alaska
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;14;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Jewel of the Seas
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;4;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

Oh, and don't forget the "special" potatoes (baked) for each night in the diningroom.. served by the busboy...
would you like a "french" potatoe...
would you like your "chinese" potatoe...
would you like your "italian" potatoe...
(american, I think there was carrib night too)
with the uniform changes each night...
we (sister and I) lucked out on our first time sailing on Song of America almost 20 yrs ago and sat at officers table.. boy.. the service (the waiter literally feeding us.. and was he ever a HUNK.. tall Jan from Scandinavia and previously on Royal Viking) ahh the memories..
but we still enjoy sailing today too.. some things not so good other things (size and pricing) better now.
Carolyn

travel2,
I was on the Serenade last October for the repo cruise from Philly to San Juan. The Captain did, as you stated, pop up virtually anywhere on the ship. He was highly visable and always had a smile and a kind word to say.

My cruising experience only goes back to 1995, so I can't reinforce any of the varied opinions. All I know is that I love cruising.

Brilliance, Panama Canal, in just  [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;11;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<marquee>I cruise, therefore I am................</marquee>

Nordic Empress `95
Granduer `97
EOS `00
VOS `01
AOS X2 `02
Serenade `03

cruiseman_tx. Yea, the Captain was a delight - all the women - young and old - fell in love with him. He was not camera shy and always posed with a smile. We were on the Maiden Voyage New York - Nova Scotia in August

I here ya. Too bad more of the ship's captains aren't like that.

Brilliance, Panama Canal, in just  [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;11;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<marquee>I cruise, therefore I am................</marquee>

Nordic Empress `95
Granduer `97
EOS `00
VOS `01
AOS X2 `02
Serenade `03

Experienced Capt. Nick also on Serenade while traveling w/elderly aunt.. He was a gem... esp. when he found out that my aunt spoke a little bit of greek... (both parents). Too bad he wasn't sailing w/us on Brilliance over New Years.
Carolyn

I hope the Captain on the new Jewel of the Seas - which we will board in June - will come from the same school. However, the Captains of the "old ships" did their things in their way.

A toast to them all.

Posted by mikey9573

"My wife and I are about to sail on our first cruise ever and the way half these posts read, sounds like we shouldn't bother!"

Mikey

You will notice that we're still going on cruises. Things have changed, I can get a 7 day cruise cheaper today (if I bargain hunt) than I did the first time. Go for it, it's still the best deal in a vacation.

I won the drawing on the final day on Song Of America, thought it might be a free cruise, alas only a nice pen and pencil set.

I was one of those people who never dressed up, but on cruises I enjoyed it.

Rich

3 Alaska

1 Hawaii

2 Panama Canal

15 Caribbean

Next, Mexico Dec 2004

rmillsap,

I really do understand the sentiment here....the unfortunate thing about message boards is that you can't hear my "tongue in cheek" tone of voice. We leave Sunday out of Galveston so its too late to call it off now!

BTW, I noticed your from Lakewood....I'm from Colorado Springs...practically neighbors!

Mike

My first RCI cruise was on Song of America in 1984. Remember that they used to keep a basket of fresh fruit in every cabin? I always thought that was a bit much; wasn't there enough to eat elsewhere on the ship? The cabin stewards had to keep replacing the bananas because they would go brown. We always imagined that they took the brown bananas to the bars to use in banana daiquiris. I sailed again on Song of America to Bermuda in 1998. I'm quite sure that wasn't long before RCI sold the ship.

One of my favorite memories is of a head waiter we first met on Song of Norway in 1986. He was from the Philippines, and what a character! He introduced himself as Errrrrrrr(much rolling of R's)nesto. Early in the cruise, he approached my dad, who was retired from the Navy, and asked "Were you in the Pacific during the war?" When my dad answered "Yes," Ernesto hugged him and cried, "Papa!" My dad, always quick to run with a joke, referred to him as his son for the rest of the cruise. Many years later, on another RCI cruise (I don't remember which one), we crossed paths with Ernesto again. Unfortunately, by that time, my dad had passed away.

October 24 - Panama Canal - Radiance of the Seas

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=24>

<param name="hour" value=20>

<param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

Archived