Notifying our credit card company we'll be out of the country???

farjar

I always let my CC company and my bank know where I will be while we are on a trip so that I have no fear of having my cc or debit card denied. It's worth the call. They called me when I charged here at home and 5 min later someone was trying to charge $5000 on my card in France. You never know. Make the call and you're covered. Just my opinion, Kaboochi

I refuse to do so. Any card that cut me off overseas would quickly find itself unused in my desk drawer. :D

The ones that cut you off automatically do it to protect themselves, not to protect you.

Wow! As far as I know, that's just about every credit card in existence. They may not do it for small purchases, but if you ever tried to purchase something that cost more than a couple of hundred dollars (maybe less), there's a good chance that almost any credit card would decline the charge.

Of course they do it to protect themselves. The law says that for a Credit card (not a debit card), you are liable only for the first $50 of fraudulent charges, and nothing, after you have notified the company that the card has been lost or stolen. Credit card fraud is a huge, huge problem. In today's tight economy, I'll bet that the cc companies are getting even more vigilent in their scrutiny.

Why do you have such a problem about calling them? It only takes a couple of minutes and it could save you a lot of hassle and embarrassment in a foreign country.

Maybe you never make any cc purchases while travelling, but someday, you might find yourself having to arrange an emergency flight home from a cruise or pay for a hospital stay. That is not the time to stand on principle and refuse to cooperate with the cc company.

Paul

Does anyone notify their credit card company that they will be using their cards out of the country? I was just wondering if the credit card company might get suspicious of sudden foreign charges appearing on our bill. I would hate for them to flag or cancel our card while we're sailing and they weren't able to contact us to verify the charges were legitimate. You're thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

Yes, you absolutely should notify your credit card company. They will stop the charges if they think it might be fraud. It is happening more now than it used to with all the identity theft. Just call them and give them the dates you will be gone and the general area you are going to so that they are aware.

Aleece

Wow! As far as I know, that's just about every credit card in existence. They may not do it for small purchases, but if you ever tried to purchase something that cost more than a couple of hundred dollars (maybe less), there's a good chance that almost any credit card would decline the charge.

Paul

It just depends on your spending patterns. I have used my cards all over Europe, Asia and the Caribbean and never called my CC company and never been declined. If I called my company every time I went out of the country, I would be calling them every few weeks.

If you just travel once a year out of the country, it might set off a red flag with your CC company.

It would probably be wise for you to notify them, just for the reasons you mentioned.

I "forgot" to do that on my last cruise.....bought a ring.....and by the next morning I had a message on my cell phone trying to verify if the charges were okay (I had no phone service). My card is through our local credit union, so when they could not get me they called my office and my friend in Human Resources verified that I was indeed out the country.

I could have saved everyone a lot of trouble if I had just notified the credit card company. :o

If your card is with National City, don't bother notifying them, they will ignore it, at least they did mine.

I notified my credit card issuers when I left last January on a cruise - they asked that I also let them know when I returned! I can just do it online, so it only takes a minute.

Where I had a problem was with my brokerage. I never thought to notify them, then I exercised some options online while onboard. When I got home, they had processed the transaction, but wouldn't release the funds because the URL didn't match the one that I had my security on. It took a long phone call and a fax to convince them that I was actually the one who placed the order.

Does anyone notify their credit card company that they will be using their cards out of the country? I was just wondering if the credit card company might get suspicious of sudden foreign charges appearing on our bill. I would hate for them to flag or cancel our card while we're sailing and they weren't able to contact us to verify the charges were legitimate. You're thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

We have never notified our CC - never had a problem.

Nope, I make big and small purchases overseas, and have only had one card ever decline a charge for suspected fraud. That bank now has several credit cards sitting in my desk drawer, except for the occasional $1 gas charge to keep the accounts active.

Why do you have such a problem about calling them? It only takes a couple of minutes and it could save you a lot of hassle and embarrassment in a foreign country.

First of all, I don't get embarrassed by credit card declines. It sometimes happens, so who cares? Second, I refuse to ask permission from a corporation to use their product. If you don't trust me, don't issue me the card.

Maybe you never make any cc purchases while travelling, but someday, you might find yourself having to arrange an emergency flight home from a cruise or pay for a hospital stay. That is not the time to stand on principle and refuse to cooperate with the cc company.

No, I don't "cooperate" with companies. They cooperate with me if they want me as a customer. I do carry backup credit cards in case one of my trusted ones pulls some stunt on me, but so far I've only had to resort to one once.

I'm truly amazed at the bad service that some people are willing to put up with.

Nope, I make big and small purchases overseas, and have only had one card ever decline a charge for suspected fraud. That bank now has several credit cards sitting in my desk drawer, except for the occasional $1 gas charge to keep the accounts active.

I know we all do things for various reasons, but what is the benefit of keeping "several" credit cards, that you dont really want to use? Maybe Im missing something by just having 2 credit cards.

I'm truly amazed at the bad service that some people are willing to put up with.

Bad service:confused: Calling a customer to confirm a purchase out of the ordinary is bad service:confused: This is the norm when they see a red flag. They do not cut you off automatically..........

Sometimes advance notice doesn't help either!

We just returned last weekend from a cruise on the Fantasy. A couple traveling with us had this exact problem.

Prior to the cruise (and due to the economic problems our country is facing) their credit card company notified them that their credit limit was being reduced, supposedly because their balance didn't require the high credit limit. They called indicating that credit card was being used for expenses on an upcoming cruise and they needed their prior credit limit. The agent stated she would notate the account and that they shouldn't worry about a thing.

Check-in was not a problem for them. However, after using the credit card for a purchase in Cozumel (which was approved without question), they ended up being called to the Purser's desk because the account was then flagged. After speaking with the credit card company, everything was straightened out, but the whole ordeal was still an unnecessary inconvenience.

First of all, I don't get embarrassed by credit card declines. It sometimes happens, so who cares? Second, I refuse to ask permission from a corporation to use their product. If you don't trust me, don't issue me the card.

When they call to confirm a purchase the card company is asking you for permission to put the transaction thru.......not you asking them:p

You have it backwards:D

I know we all do things for various reasons, but what is the benefit of keeping "several" credit cards, that you dont really want to use? Maybe Im missing something by just having 2 credit cards.

The more available credit line you have the lower your debt to available credit ratio becomes. This is a major factor of your FICO score.

Bad service:confused: Calling a customer to confirm a purchase out of the ordinary is bad service:confused: This is the norm when they see a red flag. They do not cut you off automatically..........

It's bad service. Making it harder for me to use my credit line is bad service. I am not responsible if someone uses my card fraudulently, so how does it help me for them to call to confirm, especially when I can't be easily reached?

When they call to confirm a purchase the card company is asking you for permission to put the transaction thru.......not you asking them:p

You have it backwards:D

No, I gave them permission when I signed the application. They're covering their own butts at my expense. I don't stand for it.

I made a large purchase on an island one year. The CC company tried to contact me at home (I wasn't there) so a hold was put on the card. This in-turn, placed a hold on my S&S card and access to my room. Luckily, we had other CCs with us.

Now, I contact the CC company for my primary card. I also contact my alarm company to activate a temporary password for the cat sitter.

I do carry backup credit cards in case one of my trusted ones pulls some stunt on me, but so far I've only had to resort to one once.

=quote]

All in all, it's just easier to call ahead of time to notify them. Even if you have to wait 5 or so minutes on hold, it's better to do it at home than when you're on the ship paying $5/minute.

GTAlum, since you carry around several credit cards and backup cards, I would hope that you wouldn't have any problems confirming charges had you been out of the country and robbed. When it comes down to it, the credit card company doesn't know who has the card, they can only opt to set certain parameters for suspicious activity. Unfortunately, charges made out of the country can be one of them. Also, you are only one consumer, do you think they really care if you choose to throw their card in the drawer? If you don't carry a balance and pay your bill on time, they're not making any money off you anyways.

They are covering their butts as well as yours.

They don't cover my butt, because I don't owe when fraudulent charges are made.

If credit card companies went out of business, I'd just switch back to cash. It's no skin off my nose. :)

All in all, it's just easier to call ahead of time to notify them. Even if you have to wait 5 or so minutes on hold, it's better to do it at home than when you're on the ship paying $5/minute.

You're willing to call. I'm not. That's cool. :)

GTAlum, since you carry around several credit cards and backup cards, I would hope that you wouldn't have any problems confirming charges had you been out of the country and robbed. When it comes down to it, the credit card company doesn't know who has the card, they can only opt to set certain parameters for suspicious activity. Unfortunately, charges made out of the country can be one of them. Also, you are only one consumer, do you think they really care if you choose to throw their card in the drawer? If you don't carry a balance and pay your bill on time, they're not making any money off you anyways.

They make between 2% and 3% of everything I charge even though I don't carry a balance. That's not chump change, and all for just mailing me a statement every month (well that and some sort of cash rebate or points). Don't let their sob story fool you, they make a lot of money even if you use the cards responsibly and pay no interest.

Archived