MAPS & LINKS FOR BALTIC PORTS

• 2 weeks later...

stanj sent us this forecast for what we can expect for weather in mid May. He lives there so this is about the best information we can get. There's a lot of range though.

"May is the beginning of the long days and it will be bright enough to read a newspaper at midnight but not as light at 2-4 weeks later at the peak of White Nights. The longer day mean warmer temperatures but don't assume it. It might rain on any day but if it does it is normally short and a warm spring rain. Lows during the day can be 40 but most days it is mid 60s up to 70F

This winter has been milder than usual with few days much befow freezing. Last year was also milder than average but was still around 18-22F at this time while the year before was -30F on New Years Eve when we were all out in the streets after midnight for parties in Palace Square and long Nevsky pr. These changes might be a trend that saw more rain and cooler summer temps last summer than nornal. If so I might predict a warmer May and more rain and lower temps in July with more rain.

Prepare for light rain by wearing layers of light weight clothes and some rain protection. The hunidity of the mid summer will not be present in May.

Have a nice visit"

Stan

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.hel.fi/port/english/matkustajaliikenne/satamat/index.html

Hi John,

Don't know if you saw my other post on our thread, but we're arriving at the West Terminal. See the link provided. It should be #51 on your map. Here's a map http://www.hel.fi/port/helsinginsatama/kartathandbook/Satamat_Hki_LANSI.pdf

Monica :)

Hi Monica,

You're right about where the West Harbor is located. I matched it up to the wrong area. I think the flag now shows the correct location of the berth where the Constellation will dock.

I found a site that has some great virtual tours of many of the attractions in downtown Helsinki. It should be easy to get around on foot to see most of them. Look under Helsinki in "Maps & Photos" below.

John

There is a new web site for the Rostock area ports that shows the Constellation will dock in the town of Warnemunde on May 17th. There was a possibility that we would dock across the bay at Rostock. They have a new cruise ship terminal in Warnemunde that is scheduled to open May 1st.

This will be better for us because it is closer to the old port and other places of interest in Warnemunde. There is also information on the port web site about tour agencies in the area. Go to “Maps & Photos” in our signature below and then to “Warnemunde” and click on “Rostock Port.”

Those people on other itineraries can watch this site and find the location where their ship will dock when it is posted.

John

I saved most of your maps and text. It is surely very helpful. :D

We will be sailing on the Star Princess on 2 September (R/T CPH). ;)

The only port I know for sure is that we anchor an hour away from Stockholm, at Nynashamn (not amenable to 2 half-day tours). :eek:

I appreciate your updating us on the Ports. :cool:

Thanks for the maps. In Oslo the ferry to the Viking Ship Museum goes every 20 minutes and is very easy to find since it is almost right beside where the cruise ships dock. The Fram is also worth seeing.

Last year the Schwerin Castle was covered with scaffolding. I have emailed them to see if I can find out if it is down by now. We were disappointed that we really could not get a good look at it. But the garden was lovely and so was the beer. We went there on the train. Another possiblity is Lubbeck - a great medieval town. - also on the train route.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the Constellation will be in Copenhagen overnight on May 18th 2005, we can take the opportunity to visit this unique amusement park in the evening. It looks like we can get there and back on the train fairly easily.

We have added a page with information on how to do this. Signatures seem to be turned off right now so here's a link to our site. http://home.mchsi.com/~jbglenn3/

• 2 weeks later...

This web site confirms that the Constellation will dock at the Langelinie pier as shown on the Copenhagen page under "Maps & Photos" below.

com/Baltic/Denmark/Copenhagen/ship_to_city.html

We were told by a "local" that this would be the dock but it is nice to have it confirmed by the port.

John

Hi John,

I didn't bookmark the web site I gave you and the link you provided doesn't work. I found this one: http://www.bdp.dk/port.asp

Distances

Downtown/city centre 2 km/20 min. walk

Post office 2 km/20 min. walk

Bank/exchange bureau 100 m (at Tourist Information on pier)

Shopping facilities 2 km/20 min. walk, city centre and shops at pier. Jewelry, clothes, souvenirs, porcelain and glassware.

Monica ;)

I saw your note about Schwerin Castle. I'm not cruising the Baltic this year until August, but I had e-mailed the castle and was advised that the scaffolding will be up when we visit in August. I don't know how much of the castle will be obstructed.

Hope you have a great trip,

Donna

I have just added some information on the 7 different currencies we will encounter on our trip. Each port shows the current rate as of today. That will change of course but at least it gives us an idea of what they are now.

Most of the countries will not accept US Dollars that are in the slightest way marked or worn looking. All are reluctant to take dollars at all because of their rapid decline in the past couple of years. If they do they will probably give us a lousy exchange rate. ATM’s are reported to be readily available everywhere.

I also noted where there were free shuttles from the pier to the downtown areas last year and added pictures and info on the St Petersburg page.

Look at "Maps & Photos" below in ur signature or go to http://home.mchsi.com/~jbglenn33/

John

John, you asked me to let you know what I learned about the scaffolding at Schwerin castle. I never got a reply but another poster just said she got a reply from them and that the scaffolding will be in place there all summer. Here is her thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=157947&goto=newpost

It was disppointing to see it like that. Here is a web site for Lubeck in case you decide to go there. http://www.unesco-welterbe.de/en/index.html

Thanks Cadreamer,

We still plan on going to Schwerin Castle even with the scaffolding, I'm sure there is lots to see around the lake. We will Probably try to get to Wisner and Lubeck also. We'll be driving so we'll have to see how long it takes to get there.

John

• 2 weeks later...

John:

Just a note to let you know how much your maps and postings are appreciated and how much you have added to our trip. Whenever a planning question came up, you were the reference we checked.

Many, many thanks for your efforts

Looking forward to meeting you

Deb and Robert

Archived