Do we need anti-malaria pills/yellow fever inoculation?

vossjemi

We will be visiting Costa Rica in jan/05. We will be doing a white water rafting excursion. The CDC's website seems to say that yellow fever shot is not necessary, but there is a risk of malaria in certain provinces. I do not know if the reventazon river where our white water rafting trip is located is in the area of risk. Does anyone know? Also, what is your plan on this issue? I plan to ask my doctor, but I wondered what other cruisers do.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/yb/countries/Costa_Rica.htm

The CDC recommends Malaria prophylaxis for people traveling anywhere outside Limon City. I am a physician and I have been to Costa Rica in 2002 for an extended trip throughout the country. I would suggest that if you are rafting or going to be anywhere in rivers, you should follow the CDC guidelines. For Costa Rica, that would be for Chloroquin, which is taken once a week, from the week before the trip to 4 weeks after the trip. Of course using insect repellant with DEET is important as well. I know a lot of people don't do this, but malaria in people from countries where there is no malaria can be very serious.

If your cruise goes to Panama and Belize, the recommendation is the same except for certain areas of Panama where another drug is recommended.

Thank you Lynn!!! I have an appt with my dr. around first of dec and planned to ask, but it certainly helps to have other insight before the appt. I was definitely thinking about the malaria pills, but it seems I probably won't need the yellow fever shot. Now, I wonder how much these pills cost and if insurance will cover them. Guess I need to call my ins co too.

I am going on the Panama canal cruise Dec. 10 on Princess, and today I just received immunizations for Yellow Fever, Hep A, and Typhoid fever. I also got a prescription for Malarone- for Malaria (has the lowest incidence of side effects) and Cipro-for travelers diarrhea. We are planning on being in the rainforest and cave tubing, so I wanted to be safe. Also, once you get these immunizations they are good for up to 10 years.

My insurance covered all of this, I just had to pay a $10 copay for all of the shots. I just called to get preauthorized.

I think that it is better to be safe, then to potentially wind up being sick . I am an RN, so I am always extra cautious.

Archived