Anyone ever taken a private tour with snorkeling?

bigal3967

My DW and I are going to be on the Navigator of the Seas in Grand Caymen in Jan for our 20th year anniversary and was thinking of taking a private tour that would last 2-4 hours with some snorkeling. Has anyone ever done anything like this and have any idea on how much it would cost?

Thanks,

Big Al

Just back off the destiny we did stingray sailing tour (stingray exp and snorking at the reef) great proffesional owner operator chip does a great job only takes out small groups most on the island take out 50-100 per boat he takes out no more than 20-25 you can find his site pput the two names stingray and sailig toghther and add.com

We booked the "Outrage Eco Tour" through Island Marketing. John Michael, the captain, has a Boston Whaler with twin Honda engines - there's a 3-hour and a 5-hour tour. There's a maximum of 10, no "mixed" groups so it's just you and your guests. We had our family of five and took the 3-hour tour; went to Stingray City, then snorkeled on the reef, then went to Starfish Beach. Since it's just you, John Michael can customize the tour to whatever you want. The website is http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/CaymanOutrageEcoTour.htm

Yes. We did a Captain Marvins tour. There were six of us and it was 1/2 of what the Celebity tour charged. The boat only had 10 people on board. We snorkled in three areas then they dropped us off at Seven Mile Beach. We walked the beach, then took a local bus back into town. It was a great day. As we were leaving Stingray city, we saw the ship tour. About 150 people all pushing to get into the water. We were so glad that we did the private tour.

We used Moby Dicks which was a combination of stingrays and snorkeling. There were only 15-20 people on our boat and we had a great time. I would recommend them to anyone, sorry cant remember the cost but I know it was a lot cheaper then the ships tour and a lot less crowded. We had plenty of time to shop and eat before heading back to the ship

We used Captain Marvins a few years ago. We were a party of 6. DW, SIL, and our two children had never snorkeled. The operator was fantastic. He made sure that the novices were comfortable and helped them on all three of our stops. Cannot say enough. Now, we only had a total of 8 or 10 on the boat. Perhaps it was a slow day. One difference with Captain Marvins is that they drive you to their dock which is MUCH closer to Stingray City. THe ship tours appear to leave from the dock area and take a lot more time 'getting out' This is perhaps why we had 3 good stops vs the one horribly overcrowded stop that the ships tour did (we heard many complaints about the ship tour later on board.

We booked our tour ahead of time through Shoretrips, who subcontracted it out to Nature Waterway Sports. When you walk out from the ship, there will be a gaggle of people approaching you to sell you their stingray/snorkeling tours. Most were $40/pp, although I did overhear some people haggling with their rep, who agreed to $30/pp. I saw signs for Captain Marvins and Moby Dicks as well. We all seemed to be lumped into the same bus with people who walked up and bought on the spot, so I don't think it's really necessary to book ahead unless you have a particular tour you want (like Rum Point or sailing). Our tour was good and informative. I'd recommend this route if you don't want to go through booking ahead of time.

• 3 months later...
We booked the "Outrage Eco Tour" through Island Marketing. John Michael, the captain, has a Boston Whaler with twin Honda engines - there's a 3-hour and a 5-hour tour. There's a maximum of 10, no "mixed" groups so it's just you and your guests. We had our family of five and took the 3-hour tour; went to Stingray City, then snorkeled on the reef, then went to Starfish Beach. Since it's just you, John Michael can customize the tour to whatever you want. The website is http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/CaymanOutrageEcoTour.htm

We did this tour also. He was great with us and the kids. Well worth the money he will customize it any way you want.

Archived