Dawn E Carib Samana ship's excursions

flashdog_1

Sorry to post on the main board, but no one has responded on the Dominican Republic board for a week. I've read all the reviews, but few mentioned these excursions, so bear with me, please.

I am already in communication w/Casa Dorada for Playa Rincon, so no need to laud them. I already know! Thanks

I'm wondering about how bumpy the ride on the Safari to El Valle is. How long would you say the ride was? I know it's off road! Was there time to eat at the beach?

Also wondering about Discover Samana that takes you to Las Terrenas for an hour. Do they drop you in town, or at the beach? Again, would want to get something to eat, preferably on the beach.

I've watched some videos of the area on Youtube.com but they unfortunately do not identify which beach etc. in them.

Any experiences, pro or con you can give me will help. Thanks so much.

I don't have any suggestions yet, but will be going on the Dec. 6 Dawn cruise and am also trying to decide what to do in Samana. The Dawn begins the Eastern Carib. itinerary this weekend, so I am looking forward to hearing reviews. We may get more info in a couple of weeks.

We have done both excursions. I actually enjoyed the Safari adventure much better. They brought you on open air jeeps. I can't remember how many people fit on one I do think there were 3 jeeps..I enjoy seeing other cultures and learning about their country. Learning about farming and trying their foods was wonderful, this also brought you to a lovely beach and a real nice waterfall. I will say we were on the 1st eastern cruise that went to samana..the weather for the trip wasn't the greatest but I thoroughly enjoyed the excursion. I would consider doing this one again. This year we did Discover Samana..it was a bus ride. yes they did stop at a few different places..the whale museum can't say too much about that..the church..would have liked more time there...and the town to shop..well they do drop you off there is a beach there you venture out on your own..by the time we arrived alot of the shops were closed. I was very dissappointed. I spoke to others who had done this excursion and really liked it..I think we just had a lousy guide..I would not do this one again.. especially in a hot bus...We are going back next year and I am trying to get info on cayo beach escape vs the beach resort...anyone?

We have done both excursions. I actually enjoyed the Safari adventure much better. They brought you on open air jeeps. I can't remember how many people fit on one I do think there were 3 jeeps..I enjoy seeing other cultures and learning about their country. Learning about farming and trying their foods was wonderful, this also brought you to a lovely beach and a real nice waterfall. I will say we were on the 1st eastern cruise that went to samana..the weather for the trip wasn't the greatest but I thoroughly enjoyed the excursion. I would consider doing this one again. This year we did Discover Samana..it was a bus ride. yes they did stop at a few different places..the whale museum can't say too much about that..the church..would have liked more time there...and the town to shop..well they do drop you off there is a beach there you venture out on your own..by the time we arrived alot of the shops were closed. I was very dissappointed. I spoke to others who had done this excursion and really liked it..I think we just had a lousy guide..I would not do this one again.. especially in a hot bus...We are going back next year and I am trying to get info on cayo beach escape vs the beach resort...anyone?

Thanks so much for answering about the specific excursions. The photo showing the vehicle for the Safari Adventure (in the video they have on the NCL website) shows a sort of military/troup transport on the back of a jeep/truck? holding maybe 10 people? Don't know if that's what you meant, or if there were 4 passenger jeeps they used when you went.

So, how bad is the off road experience, bump wise? I'm thinking we could pack a cushion each! Do you remember how long a drive it was?

Was there time to eat at the beach they took you to on the Safari Adventure? Thanks

Hi flashdog_1..yes the jeep carried approx 8 or 10 people.. they had about three we all followed one an other..remember we were the 1st group to ever do this excursion..the weather was not good we arrived late in Samana. we were able to try the local fruits at the farmers land..as nice as the beach was we weren't there very long..again due to weather..I do not know if they now have a place to eat although the amount of time for this tour I would think not..I know we did not. The ride wasn't all that bumpy but there roads are all dirt, with so there are quite a bit of bumps.. also some hills...we actually got stuck going back up one of the hills..of course we made it but it was a bit hairy..I must say the waterfall was lovely..

I really do not remember how long the ride was as I was interested in the countryside. Not sure you need a cushion though..

Whatever you choose I am sure you'll enjoy..

I just read your post on the on the samana board. I didn't know you had concerns. I need to mention to you when you go to the waterfall you are walking on small like pods..You do do a bit of walking through dirt road paths..they do have a little climbing..at least this is how it was a few years ago. Also, when we went to the beach I do not remember seeing a place to get a drink. Again, it may have been because it was all new to them...Just thought you should know..again, we enjoyed it..

I just read your post on the on the samana board. I didn't know you had concerns. I need to mention to you when you go to the waterfall you are walking on small like pods..You do do a bit of walking through dirt road paths..they do have a little climbing..at least this is how it was a few years ago. Also, when we went to the beach I do not remember seeing a place to get a drink. Again, it may have been because it was all new to them...Just thought you should know..again, we enjoyed it..

It's a rather long excursion so I'm surprised there was no opportunity to buy a drink! Guess you have to bring your own water.

I can't get my DH to help me decide which excursion to take. I see that some people are doing two in one day, but so far at least, no afternoon times are showing up on my shore excursion page on NCL.com.

I don't know what you mean "small like pods." Could you be a bit more specific? Walking or climbing is not our problem. It's the bumpy roads I'm concerned about (jarring our necks).

Thanks for your help. We'll just have to hope that these first E Carib cruisers will go on all the excursions and make a report here!

My husband did that tour last year on Dawn. The Dom Rep is ok, quite dirty overall. We were on a tour bus with air for a few hours driving around. They made a potty stop (which no plumbing, yellow water from barrels on the roof), then stopped for pics at the beach, and the town was very small and most of the shops closed. Did get cheap coffee there. The whale museum is a joke at the end, in & out, next...and there was no stops to eat so we were starving when we got back to the ship. Everyone that went on our cruise really enjoyed the island beach tour that took you to the island off of Samana. Hope that helps. :) Regina

Phyllis I wish I could be more specific for you..We took this excursion a few years ago..I have done so many more since..They probably did stop at a store or offer a drink. I just don't remember. I will see if I have any pictures I can send to you..

Phyllis I wish I could be more specific for you..We took this excursion a few years ago..I have done so many more since..They probably did stop at a store or offer a drink. I just don't remember. I will see if I have any pictures I can send to you..

I know everyone would appreciate the photos if you can post them here, but if not, send them to me at p gauker at bell south dot net. Thanks!

My husband did that tour last year on Dawn. The Dom Rep is ok, quite dirty overall. We were on a tour bus with air for a few hours driving around. They made a potty stop (which no plumbing, yellow water from barrels on the roof), then stopped for pics at the beach, and the town was very small and most of the shops closed. Did get cheap coffee there. The whale museum is a joke at the end, in & out, next...and there was no stops to eat so we were starving when we got back to the ship. Everyone that went on our cruise really enjoyed the island beach tour that took you to the island off of Samana. Hope that helps. :) Regina

Hi-- Did you get the coffee in the town of Samana? If so, where?

I know you didn't ask about this one, but we really LOVED Cayo Laventado when we were in Samana several years ago. We are going back next year and will sign up for this excursion as soon as we are able to. We loved the beautiful beach, the beauiful views from the beach and the nice facility they have.

In the main town area of Samana where they stopped on the tour, there was a little market store. Inside, we got about 5-6 bags of coffee and a bottle of dom republic rum (not sure how that tastes, haven't opened bottle) and paid $9 for all of it. It is coffee made from santo domingo, dr and was really good...kinda rich like starbucks. Made for good xmas presents for family when we got back home.

We vistied Samana in March, 2008 off the Dawn. We took the 4x4 self-drive Jeep safari, and enjoyed it. We first went through a small stream, then to a place where we learned about the politics, farming, crops, "MamaWanna", some local music and then off to the waterfall . About a 15 minute easy hike to the falls and then back. Back in the jeeps, went to a beach (don't know which one) and had some beer, surf and sun for about 1 hour then back in the jeeps going back to town. The roads turned to dirt roads shortly after we started out from the port, and remained dirt roads, under construction, the whole way.

Here is a link to my photo album from that excursion.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerintn/SamanaDominicanRepublic

In the main town area of Samana where they stopped on the tour, there was a little market store. Inside, we got about 5-6 bags of coffee and a bottle of dom republic rum (not sure how that tastes, haven't opened bottle) and paid $9 for all of it. It is coffee made from santo domingo, dr and was really good...kinda rich like starbucks. Made for good xmas presents for family when we got back home.

Thats what we are looking for. We bought Santo Domingo last year in La Romana and it was really good. We live in Seattle and are Starbucks fans. When you get off the tender, I'm guessing you walked left to get into the town. Do you remember how far the store is from the tender dock?

Archived