port vs starboard

vickie1219

I am booked on Island Princess Vancouver to Whittier...Mid May. I am now booked into a mini suite on the Dolphin deck..Starboard side...just found out it is an uncovered balcony...now I am thinking of changing to a covered balcony, but the only ones left are on the Port side....what are the opinions on which side of the ship is best?

help

Vickie

Most of the trip will be an "inside passage" meaning there is a land mass to either side of the ship, but none really close. We had a port cabin for a similar itinerary and mostly saw uninhabited land, while the starboard side saw an occasional village's lights. For our cruise there was more wildlife reported on the starboard, although we did see some killer whales in the distance one night. Once in port, the port side seemed to have better views. So the side of the ship may not really matter.

One other thing - in Glacier Bay in August it rained. With a covered balcony (Aloha deck) we were able to sit and enjoy the views while only the very brave (and wet) were out on their balconies for any length of time.

I used to say must be on port side, but after being on starboard side a few times also, I have found it really makes no difference to me. We have even docked on starboard side before too. You will get the sunrise going one way and the sunset going the other way or vice versa, so it really doesn't matter to me anymore.

I am booked on Island Princess Vancouver to Whittier...Mid May. I am now booked into a mini suite on the Dolphin deck..Starboard side...just found out it is an uncovered balcony...now I am thinking of changing to a covered balcony, but the only ones left are on the Port side....what are the opinions on which side of the ship is best?

help

Vickie

Vickie I have done both Port and Starboard side of the ship to Alaska and I would take the covered one on the Portside if it is still available. When you enter glacier Bay the talks by the National park Service will be told as you enter and most of the views will be on the Portside. Now granted the ship does turn around at the end and what you missed on the starboard you will see leaving the bay but there will be no commentary at that time. Of courser the best views of glacier Bay is up on the open decks. Hope this helps some.

Marilyn

We were on the Port side in June with a covered balcony and it was great! I would definitely prefer covered.... we looked down on everyone but no one looking down on us and if it was misting, we stayed dry! It's a fabulous trip!!!!:D

For other itineraries, I'd say go with starboard, but when you're talking about Alaska, the covered balcony really does come in handy.

Normally for a Northbound one-way Alaskan Voyage of the Glaciers cruise, I'd chose the starboard side with a covered balcony, so I understand you wanting that too. Your next best option would be the port side in a covered balcony.

Also, Marilyn is right about it being preferable to be on the port side as you enter Glacier Bay.

Enjoy! :)

Thanks everyone for your advise....I changed my cabin. I figured the best way to make sure that itdoes not rain on my trip was to have a covered balcony :D I am now in C226 Hope that really is covered!

Marilyn, when the talks are given in Glacier bay...are they broadcast into the rooms? or do you have to be near the Rangers to hear it.

Archived