Prescription Glasses

jostvandyke

I have a question...my 7 yr old DD just got new glasses for being near sighted and they're a good bit stronger than what she had. We will be snorkeling in Belize in February and I was wondering about prescription glasses and snorkel masks. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to a mask with prescription glass. I'm trying not to spend too much since she's still growing and I just paid over $300 for new glasses. Thanks in advance.

my dh needs prescription glasses also--- in cozumel they had them to rent at the park-- they were actually really good--- sept we went to mexico and i ordered some of of snorkel mart.com-- they weren't bad - like 70 something-- but they worked great.......... also my mom can fit her glasses under her snorkel... try some snorkels on and make sure that won't work... hope it helps...........

Depending on how bad her eyes are, you have several options.

Remember that everything is 25% larger underwater, so many of us (me included) that need glasses above, don't need anything below.

There are many masks now that have lenses that can be swapped out for prescription lenses. If you need just a small amount of magnification, there is a product called DiveOptx, but I have not used them myself.

http://www.optx2020.com/Diveoptx.cfm

Most of the larger online retailers carry stock of the masks with corrective lenses, but here's an example of prescription lenses for the Tusa Liberator mask, and the DiveOptx magnifiers as well. I don't have any idea where these folks fall on the price scale.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba/scuba-gear/scuba-mask/dive-mask-accessories/

Unfortunately, I don't know if or what might be available for a child size mask.

I think you will find that many divers just use soft contacts, but for a 7-year old, that might be a bit too advanced.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

Thanks for the info lovetexas and Wendy. I checked on snorkelmart.com and the prices really weren't that bad for a mask with prescription lenses. She does have a small face so I might be able to get away with her using it for a couple years. Worst case, she'll spend next summer in the pool with it. I looked at the stick on lenses but I'm not sure about them. They are cheaper but the difference is not huge. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm always up for more suggestions.

Another option is to get disposable soft contacts. That is what I use, and they work very well. Putting glasses under the maks won't work, it will leak like crazy. In most cases your eye doctor can give you a trial set of contacts that you can use and see how it goes. The soft dailies are easy to use, comfortable and being disposable you don't have to mess with cleaners etc.

Very few dive operators in the caribbean have perscription masks, so you might want to e-mail them before you go to check.

My partner and I are both very nearsighted with significant astigmatism. We had a great time snorkeling by fitting old pairs of prescription glasses with the temples removed inside of our regular snorkel masks we had purchased. The frames wedged in securely and never moved while we snorkeled.

My partner and I are both very nearsighted with significant astigmatism. We had a great time snorkeling by fitting old pairs of prescription glasses with the temples removed inside of our regular snorkel masks we had purchased. The frames wedged in securely and never moved while we snorkeled.

I have pretty bad astigmatism too, so thanks for this advice!

I had prescription goggles made from a dealer I found at a local sports show with my prescription being what it is I thought I could not afford them the goggles cost me $40 and to have the lenses made and installed total price was around $150...

I'm nearsighted with an astigmatism, too. After taking an intro dive course using the instructor's RX mask, I bought one for myself (that was 3 prescription changes ago).

I personally think that any snorkeling trip would be worthless without this mask--it just returned from the Galapagos with me--and it will now go to the Caribbean in a few weeks. It was honestly the best $70-80 I ever spent.

I'd say that if it's in the budget, go for it. Your otion can tell you what diopters to order.

I haven't ordered from this company, but the link is to a mask for a smaller face:

http://www.unrealfind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=msk66&Category_Code=

Order your prescription masks early enough to make the cruise. DW didn't and wound up getting disposable contacts instead. We leave 12/7 for Hawaii and she'll see, (no pun intended :D) how well they work.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a diver -- however, my hubby is and up until a year ago or so wore glasses to see anything, anywhere. His eye doctor was a diver and suggested a mask that had lenses sort of stuck-on to the mask. The idea was that you could buy the mask once and just have the lenses in the stuck-on glasses changed as needed. I know this sounds truly strange, my description is sadly lacking. But an optical shop may know what I'm trying to describe.

Archived