HAL Cruisetour 16V

Sugar&Buddy

Read the brochure/website for tour 16V, it will tell you what you do. We usually arrived into town in the evening (5-6 pm) so usually only the shows were available for our cruisetour. Then in Denali we did have an open morning, so I was able to book The Husky Homestead Tour. Some tours in Fairbanks include the Riverboat ride or a visit to the Gold Dredge.

You have to do your homework to know what is included in your tour, and what would be an extra curricular tour.

You will have time in the towns to do tours, they will be listed on the HAL website and they will say whether they are available for tour 16V. If time isn't available, they don't let you book it.

Even though this cruisetour is 6 days, it doesn't offer everything. The listed "tours" are included, boat tour and gold dredge in Fairbanks, and Denali Park tour. Anything else you will be purchasing. There is some free time, you have until about 4pm your day of leaving Denali park, make good use of it. Also strongly make plans in Seward on your own, it offers some fantastic touring opportunities, don't be in any rush to get on your ship. Take advantage of what is available. There is a lot of time in transit, be sure to factor all that into optional plans. Budget 50% more than you do at home for meals.

Sugar&Honey, I've just checked out CruiseTour 16V and it looks to me you'll be on the Statendam. The way I see it you'll have time to take advantage of opportunites in Anchorage the day you arrive, so I would sure suggest the earliest avail flight arrival. The next day you'll be taking the train to Denali which leaves Anchorage around 8:15 and arrives in Denali at 3:45pm. By the time you get settled; you'll have from around 5:30 on to do things on your own. Thursday you'll have a morning Tundra Wildnerness Tour; so you'll have late afternoon/evening on your own. Then the next morning you'll have the morning and early afternoon on your own; departing around 4pm for the train to Fairbanks. You don't arrive till 8:15 so no real time on your own that evening. then on Saturday it looks as if the Gold Dredge No 8 is included and is listed from 9am to 1pm; then the Riverboat Discovery from 1pm till 5:45pm with some evenig hours on your own. Then on Sunday, this cruise tour includes a flight to Anchorage which in my opinion is a real plus of this cruise tour. You will be met at the airport by HAL's Motorcoach which will take you to Seward. We did an independent land tour before our Southbound HAL cruise this last August and I do have to say, many people on the ship said they booked the Kenai Fjords boat tour thru the ship and LOVED it. Make sure you book at least the 6 hour tour. By the way, almost everyone (I don't think the one couple would have been satisfied with anything:rolleyes:did I say that?) I talked to on the ship gave positive feedback from their cruisetours thru HAL. Since I'm not exactly sure what time you arrive in Seward I it's probably best to book thru the cruiseline.

Hope this helps sort things out for you.

Sugar&Honey, I've just checked out CruiseTour 16V and it looks to me you'll be on the Statendam. The way I see it you'll have time to take advantage of opportunites in Anchorage the day you arrive, so I would sure suggest the earliest avail flight arrival. The next day you'll be taking the train to Denali which leaves Anchorage around 8:15 and arrives in Denali at 3:45pm. By the time you get settled; you'll have from around 5:30 on to do things on your own. Thursday you'll have a morning Tundra Wildnerness Tour; so you'll have late afternoon/evening on your own. Then the next morning you'll have the morning and early afternoon on your own; departing around 4pm for the train to Fairbanks. You don't arrive till 8:15 so no real time on your own that evening. then on Saturday it looks as if the Gold Dredge No 8 is included and is listed from 9am to 1pm; then the Riverboat Discovery from 1pm till 5:45pm with some evenig hours on your own. Then on Sunday, this cruise tour includes a flight to Anchorage which in my opinion is a real plus of this cruise tour. You will be met at the airport by HAL's Motorcoach which will take you to Seward. We did an independent land tour before our Southbound HAL cruise this last August and I do have to say, many people on the ship said they booked the Kenai Fjords boat tour thru the ship and LOVED it. Make sure you book at least the 6 hour tour. By the way, almost everyone (I don't think the one couple would have been satisfied with anything:rolleyes:did I say that?) I talked to on the ship gave positive feedback from their cruisetours thru HAL. Since I'm not exactly sure what time you arrive in Seward I it's probably best to book thru the cruiseline.

Hope this helps sort things out for you.

Thank you for all the details. It really helps me plan more efficiently.

Are you saying there is time to do Kenai Fjords tour day of embarkment in Seward? I tried to get time of arrival in Seward from HAL and they would not give me a time. If we could do Kenai Fjords before boarding that would be great because we had planned on arriving in Anchorage 2 days early to do Kenai Fjords before land tour began. If we can do that tour in on day of embarkment we could do something else the two days in Anchorage.

Thank you for all the details. It really helps me plan more efficiently.

Are you saying there is time to do Kenai Fjords tour day of embarkment in Seward? I tried to get time of arrival in Seward from HAL and they would not give me a time. If we could do Kenai Fjords before boarding that would be great because we had planned on arriving in Anchorage 2 days early to do Kenai Fjords before land tour began. If we can do that tour in on day of embarkment we could do something else the two days in Anchorage.

According to the shore excursion page for this cruise, you do have time. Here is the link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseTourDetailsShoreEx.action?durationCode=&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=ANC&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=R939&subProductCode=A03&tourId=T9A16V&dateCode=7_2009

Here is the description:

Anchorage to Seward - Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise

Duration: 9 hours (3 hour narrated tour to Seward/ 6 hour cruise)

Price *: $$$

activity1.gifim_shorex_meal-bl.gif

Depart Anchorage for a 3-hour drive on Alaska's only National Scenic Byway. Then cruise spectacular Kenai Fjords National Park, the "Denali" of marine wildlife. This 6-hour wildlife and glacier cruise takes you through Resurrection Bay to the face of a tidewater glacier. Visit the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge to see horned and tufted puffins. Look for humpback whales, orcas, otters and Stellar sea lions.

However, if you have time, you may still want to head to Seward early to take advantage of other things they have to offer: Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, Harding Icefields, Godwin's Dog Sled rides on a glacier (less cancelled than the ones out of Juneau and Skagway), Dog Cart Rides, etc.

Or, you could go early to take a glacier cruise out of Whittier. This is my regret. I thought about it, but decided we might be glaciered out. We were visiting Glacier Bay, College Fjords, taking the Adventure Bound cruise through Tracy Arm Fjord and taking the Kenai Fjords tour. I just though we might be on overload. For us, we couldn't get enough. So, you might at least want to look into the tours out of Whittier. It has been posted that the ones going through Esther Passage are the most spectacular.

According to the shore excursion page for this cruise, you do have time. Here is the link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseTourDetailsShoreEx.action?durationCode=&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=ANC&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=R939&subProductCode=A03&tourId=T9A16V&dateCode=7_2009

Here is the description:

Depart Anchorage for a 3-hour drive on Alaska's only National Scenic Byway. Then cruise spectacular Kenai Fjords National Park, the "Denali" of marine wildlife. This 6-hour wildlife and glacier cruise takes you through Resurrection Bay to the face of a tidewater glacier. Visit the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge to see horned and tufted puffins. Look for humpback whales, orcas, otters and Stellar sea lions.

However, if you have time, you may still want to head to Seward early to take advantage of other things they have to offer: Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, Harding Icefields, Godwin's Dog Sled rides on a glacier (less cancelled than the ones out of Juneau and Skagway), Dog Cart Rides, etc.

Or, you could go early to take a glacier cruise out of Whittier. This is my regret. I thought about it, but decided we might be glaciered out. We were visiting Glacier Bay, College Fjords, taking the Adventure Bound cruise through Tracy Arm Fjord and taking the Kenai Fjords tour. I just though we might be on overload. For us, we couldn't get enough. So, you might at least want to look into the tours out of Whittier. It has been posted that the ones going through Esther Passage are the most spectacular.

I apologize, however, the link you provided is on the Ryndam. Our tour begins 07/21/09 on the Statendam. I believe HAL said on Day 6 we fly to Anchorage from Fairbanks (approx. 1hr) then take coach to Seward (3 hrs). I will ask HAL again what time we will arrive in Seward to see how much time to book private tour.

Here is the description:

I have reviewed Cruisetour 16V. Do not want to book additional HAL excursions after the included tours, i.e. TWT and railroad all day from Anchorage to Denali. Are tour companies available in the park to make last minute decision?

Same question in Fairbanks. Will we easily find something to do after Riverboat Cruise and Gold Dredge if we are so inclined?

I apologize, however, the link you provided is on the Ryndam. Our tour begins 07/21/09 on the Statendam. I believe HAL said on Day 6 we fly to Anchorage from Fairbanks (approx. 1hr) then take coach to Seward (3 hrs). I will ask HAL again what time we will arrive in Seward to see how much time to book private tour.

The same option is available for the Statendam. Here is the link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseTourDetailsShoreEx.action?durationCode=3&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=ANC&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=S946&subProductCode=A03&tourId=T9A16V&dateCode=7_2009

Sometimes the cruise ships have their own contract with the vendors to accommodate their passengers at times that work best for the cruise departure. If the only way you can do this trip is through the cruiseline, I would do it with them. We booked things both independently and through the cruiseship, depending on what worked best for us. Although you often save a little doing it independently, we did not find the cost savings significant.

I have reviewed Cruisetour 16V. Do not want to book additional HAL excursions after the included tours, i.e. TWT and railroad all day from Anchorage to Denali. Are tour companies available in the park to make last minute decision?

Same question in Fairbanks. Will we easily find something to do after Riverboat Cruise and Gold Dredge if we are so inclined?

In Fairbanks, you are extremely limited without a car. It is necessary in my opinion to make the most of touring here. With cruisetour people, many times, there isn't enough time overall for much beyond the included boat and dredge tour.

No, tour companies aren't "available in the park". There are some outside, rafting is a major tour consideration. HAL will also have a selection. Again you are limited without a car, for some independents. There will be a shuttle bus to the visitor center, which has programs and exhibits.

Even though this cruisetour is 6 days, it doesn't offer everything. The listed "tours" are included, boat tour and gold dredge in Fairbanks, and Denali Park tour. Anything else you will be purchasing. There is some free time, you have until about 4pm your day of leaving Denali park, make good use of it. Also strongly make plans in Seward on your own, it offers some fantastic touring opportunities, don't be in any rush to get on your ship. Take advantage of what is available. There is a lot of time in transit, be sure to factor all that into optional plans. Budget 50% more than you do at home for meals.

Would rather not book shore excursions through HAL. Can you recommend tour companies to search for tours the day we depart Denali for Fairbanks (approx. 3-4pm)?

I have not been able to get time of arrival in Seward. I have asked two different consultants at HAL and neither know what time we arrive. We are flying from Fairbanks to Anchorage then coach to Seward. Should we just get off coach and go into town and find something?

What to you mean by factoring transit time into optional plans?

Off the subject again -- are there stores around Denali to buy wine and snacks? Should we bring sandwiches/snacks on these long train and bus rides?

Would rather not book shore excursions through HAL. Can you recommend tour companies to search for tours the day we depart Denali for Fairbanks (approx. 3-4pm)?

I have not been able to get time of arrival in Seward. I have asked two different consultants at HAL and neither know what time we arrive. We are flying from Fairbanks to Anchorage then coach to Seward. Should we just get off coach and go into town and find something?

What to you mean by factoring transit time into optional plans?

Off the subject again -- are there stores around Denali to buy wine and snacks? Should we bring sandwiches/snacks on these long train and bus rides?

http://denalichamber.com/plugins/yellowpages/yellowpages.php has some tour listings. However, you might want to decide WHAT you want to do first, then find a vendor. Use the cruiseline tour list as a guide. Denali also has activities to consider, http://www.nps.gov/dena but the programs would be listed in the visitor center.

You will not know what time your Seward arrival until shortly before you leave, and have your flight information. It is a 3 hour bus ride to Seward. This is my "factor" time facts, since many do not realize the distances and time in transit touring Alaska. I suggest you do your homework for Seward, determine what you want to do prior. Then just do it. :) http://www.seward.com

Yes there is a convenience store in Glitter Gulch, I don't know about the wine availability??

IF you do not want to purchase your food on the train, then definately bring your own. More important, be sure to have some food on the TWT, the "snack" is skimpy.

Archived