Gem aft AF suites

welove2cruise232

Can anyone give me info or pictures on the aft AF cabins on the Gem? According to NCL's website, 11150 is 231 SF, the others are 219??? Seems odd since this cabin is the last one in the "row" of AF minis...

TIA!

Hey Peggy!

Looks like a great room, but you had better start saving your $$ for that upsell they're going to offer you. :D

Hope you and Joe have a great time!

Jackie

Are those Balcony shots from 11150? I was expecting the balcony to be a little bigger than that (enough for a lounge chair). That doesn't look much bigger than a normal balcony (I'm not complaining, just commenting). Thanks,

All the Aft AFs except the 2 handicapped cabins have balconies almost exactly the same size as all the other AFs. About 15 sf larger then a standard balcony but not as big as the two BAs on deck ten aft.

Are those Balcony shots from 11150? I was expecting the balcony to be a little bigger than that (enough for a lounge chair). That doesn't look much bigger than a normal balcony (I'm not complaining, just commenting). Thanks,

My photos are from cabin 11150 balcony.

On another board site there was a post that 11154 was larger than 11156? Does anyone have knowledge of this? Booked in 11154 on the Pearl in March.

Interesting, it would be nice if that's the case since I'm in 11154 on the Pearl in about 3 weeks.:D

The balcony is a bit smaller than I expected though, it's odd how the BAs have a bigger balcony than the AFs. Ahh well.

Hey Peggy!

Looks like a great room, but you had better start saving your $$ for that upsell they're going to offer you. :D

Hope you and Joe have a great time!

Jackie

Hi Jackie!!! The only upsell I would take over this aft AF would be to an owner's suite or a courtyard villa -- and it would have to be a REALLY good deal! After sailing in an aft cabin on the Noordam (TWICE) it would be VERY hard to give up!!!

We WILL have a great time! Hey, I finally get to go on a cruise for MY birthday!!:D

How's your hubby? Tell him we said hello! Hope he's still picking that guitar!

Hi Jackie!!! The only upsell I would take over this aft AF would be to an owner's suite or a courtyard villa -- and it would have to be a REALLY good deal! After sailing in an aft cabin on the Noordam (TWICE) it would be VERY hard to give up!!!

We WILL have a great time! Hey, I finally get to go on a cruise for MY birthday!!:D

How's your hubby? Tell him we said hello! Hope he's still picking that guitar!

Hi Peggy!

We booked an AE on the Gem last April and I just couldn't turn down the 3rd offer they made us for the OS. I did turn down the first 2 though. They offered the OS, DOS, or Courtyard Villa. You know what I went for!!! :D

Glad you liked the aft cabins and the Noordam.

How did you like the Dream?

Jackie

We had a GREAT time on the Dream, despite several quirks of the "last" cruise. We were sailing with a group of 17 that all knew each other -- it was great to see everyone again, some of whom we hadn't seen in five years! Our cruise critic get-together had at least 40 people! We really liked the Dream (can't beat those small ships) and the crew and Captain were the best -- on par with the Majesty!

We had high winds and rain going down, couldn't dock in St. George's, so we were in Hamilton for the duration -- which we loved! It was a very nice change -- certainly better than dockyard! Don't get me wrong, we love St. George's, but this gave us an opportunity to spend time on "that" end of the island. We are looking forward to HAL's ship sailing to BDA and docking in St. George's and Hamilton. We had the opportunity to see the "Beating Retreat" ceremony on Wednesday night (no Harbor Nights festival this late in the season) on Front Street -- this only happens once or twice per month, and this was the first time we'd been on the rock to see it!

I felt bad for the bartenders -- they had a lot of damage (read liquor bottles broken!) on the previous cruise and were running out of stuff! If you happened to order something that they were missing an ingredient for, they'd have to call the other bars on the ship looking for that ingredient, then run to the other bar to get it! The wine lovers were very happy, however -- they were paying house wine prices for premium wine!:p

Jose was on board!!! Yes, Jose, Jose, from the Dawn! He did the martini clinics, and they were a blast! After this cruise (I think they had him on board to deal with the deprovisioning and liquor with the customs officials) he was going back to the Dawn. He made some great pre-dinner martinis for our group!

The food in the italian restaurant wasn't as good as we had in July, but was still very good everywhere else on the ship -- as was the service!

We had a code alpha at 4 a.m. on Saturday -- that was unsettling to hear, especially when we had a "funny smell" in our cabin -- smelled like burning plastic. The smell got worse, so we eventually decided to get dressed and go out and investigate (with passports and jewelry in hand!!:eek:). It was a fire in a storage locker on deck 3 -- you could smell it through the ship! I was surprised there weren't more people up and about wondering what was going on (the smell was pretty bad in our cabin on deck 8) but I think the half price drinks the night before had everyone out! ;) They had all the doors open on the promenade deck to get rid of the odor, and eventually it got better, but we didn't get much sleep after that!

It's sad to see these little ships leave the fleet, because there is a charm with the small ships that you just don't get with the mega ships. We're still hoping we have ONE MORE opportunity to sail on the Majesty before she leaves the fleet.

Karin was still on board as concierge -- she is the BEST! She was going to the Sun after this cruise. I can't even begin to tell you how GREAT she was to us on this cruise! Do you remember David Ward (cruise consultant)? He was on board too -- what a great guy he is!

Edited to say: geez, I guess I should have made this post my mini-review!

Happy to hear you and Joe had such a great time!!! I sure wish we got to cruise on the Dream since we also love the smaller ships. Love the bigger ones also, but there sure is a different charm about them and it's nice to see the same faces over and over.

I remember mentioning to Terry when we were on the Sovereign of the Seas many moons ago that you rarely saw the same people except at dinner, and that doesn't happen on NCL's bigger ships.

I'm sure you did enjoy the stay in Hamilton for something different. We've only docked in St. George, but we did go to Hamilton for a day. I had been there years ago on land vacations, but this was Terry's first time in Bermuda, so his first in Hamilton.

I don't think I remember Jose, but it sounds like he was a lot of fun with the martini clinics. The bartender can make or break those, but they all end up with us having fun... :D

You were lucky that it was a small fire and kept under control. That sure can be scary!!! :eek: Glad everything was okay.

Glad you got to see Karin again. We thought she was great too, and such a sweetheart. No, I don't remember David Ward.

I'm getting very itchy for a cruise these days!!!

Cruise on, Peggy!!!! :cool:

Jackie

the largest aft balcony on gem is on deck 10, we had 10168 and are friends had next door, each had two lounge chairs and two chqairs with two tables....

All the Aft AFs except the 2 handicapped cabins have balconies almost exactly the same size as all the other AFs. About 15 sf larger then a standard balcony but not as big as the two BAs on deck ten aft.

yes that is a fact, I also would bet that gem, jewel, jade all have the same ba aft cabin on deck 10

it was great for 10-26-08 med cruise

Archived