Blue Grotto on Capri???

Anyone been to the Blue Grotto on Capri recently? Reading the Rick Steves' book it seems he's a bit tongue in cheek about the value for the money. We are planning to do Capri and Anacapri from Naples, unless the water is too rough - December 4, 2008. If so, we'll do Sorrento. Thanks.

I agree that the blue grotto is a complete waste of money. We were on a boat trip that left from Positano and stopped at both the green and blue grottos. What I most remember about the grotto is that we paid the boat man whatever it costs to take us in to the grotto (not cheap for 15 minutes) and when we were getting back on our tour boat the man that took us into the grotto made a really rude comment about our tip being too little. The truth is, I didn't think he even deserved a tip!! It's really sad that one rude person can leave such a lasting memory on a place.

I agree with the posters. My wife and I did this last October and are sorry we wasted the time when we could have been touring the island. The cost is high then you have to pay and tip another boat to take you through the grotto. Not a trip for people who are not fully mobile, it's not easy going from boat to boat in rocking seas, we almost lost an overweight lady. The water was not rough but the boat was constantly rocking for the hour we waited for the small boat and some on board were not doing well, thanks to bonine we were ok. I think the boat that circled the island would have been great but the wait was the big issue for us on this trip. I think the total cost was about $45pp.

Archived