Concerned about mosquitos and kids!

PEMCO007

Hi we are off on the Explorer on 21 Dec and doing Eastern Caribbean, tbh I did not really think too much about mosquitos as our experience in past has only been an issue at dusk and evening, however after browsing through these boards it appears they could be out in full force in the day. My dd is not 2 so I believe DEET is unsuitable for her , so will kid repellant be sufficient or not? and what about in St Marteen i believe there has been an out break of Dengue. I have spoke to our pharmacy however they were not much use and now i am a bit concerned.

Rachael x:(

There was a discussion on this topic a few weeks ago and here is the link. DEET is fine for your 2 year old, as you will read here. It should be noted that while there are many products available that do not contain DEET (ie Cactus Juice, Skin so Soft, etc.), DEET is the only thing thoroughly researched to protect you and your family from mosquito-borne diseases. So, use the "natural" products with caution.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=866165

We've never had trouble w/mosquitos while cruising, so have never even brought any type of bug spray with us.

The only thing we've ever encountered is No-See-Ums/sand flies, in Roatan. Unfortunately with those bugs, you don't realize you've been bitten until much later. And, their bites are very, very itchy!

CeleBrat

Archived