Seasick on the Pride?

EI83

The Pride is a newer larger ship which shouldn't rock much. We're 1st timers & wondering if this should be a concern? Sounds like from CC, ginger is best to help for seasickness if it does happen. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Don't stress over the motion. It may not even bother you. They have sea sickness pills available at the purser's desk for free. Just go there and pick some up and take it if you feel you need to or even to be on the safe side. Enjoy your cruise!

I honestly don't know if the size makes that much difference. I think it's much more dependent on the seas and the speed at which you're cruising. But that's totally an uneducated guess. I mean, any ship is just a speck on the water, isn't it?

I did notice a LOT more side-to-side motion on Miracle, but I'd never sailed on a deck higher than Empress on a Fantasy-class ship. The Spirit-class ships are longer and narrower, so that could explain some of that.

There are a gazillion seasick threads on the boards, and you can also just Google "seasick remedies" and get a gazillion hits.

I've had motion sickness problems my entire life and had them on most of my first 5 cruises. Before Miracle last December, I bought ginger capsules and started them the day before we sailed. Took 1 am & pm, and also split a Bonine and took 1/2 am and pm, as it makes me a bit drowsy.

I had absolutely NO problems on Miracle (and we had 9-10' swells our last sea day). Same regimen on Glory in May, and I couldn't even tell we were moving. We'll see if I have the same success on Fascination in a month. I certainly hope so because if you've ever suffered from motion sickness, you know how unpleasant it is. To be able to sail and not feel the motion at all was a wonder and a delight!

On the Pride, you will get some motion, even though it is a larger ship, you will still be sailing against the current during part of your cruise,

Especially if you hit a storm on the way back.

So true . . . I've cruised the Mexican Riviera ten times, I think. Returning is against a slight current can produce a little motion, especially when running across the mouth of the Sea of Cortez from Mazatlan to Los Cabos. The water at the mouth can't decide whether its Sea of Cortez or Pacific Ocean. :rolleyes:

But, as a general rule, there is little motion on this cruise. I grew up on the water, so I'm innured to any motion illness, so I can't be a true evaluator of the movement. THe PRIDE is a beautiful ship and has the latest equipment (stabilizers)to minimize the roll of the ocean. As others have suggested the Purser can provide medication, which should be taken at the first "feeling" of motion disorientation.

There are also many other things that help, the patch, a special bracelet, etc.(including ginger)

Enjoy your cruise and tell us about it when you return. :)

The Pride is a newer larger ship which shouldn't rock much. We're 1st timers & wondering if this should be a concern? Sounds like from CC, ginger is best to help for seasickness if it does happen. Any thoughts? Thanks.

It doesn't matter how big the ship might be, if the seas are rough enough, even a huge oil tanker will rock and roll.

It's true, however, that larger ships seem to be less effected by sea conditions than smaller ones. However, being on a larger ship will not be a guarantee that you won't feel any motion is the seas kick up.

I don't suffer mal-de-mer at all but others who sometimes cruise with me do. They use Bonine....which is free on the ship and available from room service, Purser's Desk and other places.

I've heard some say ginger works for them...guess it would be worth tryiing....

I'm convinced the ginger absolutely has made the difference for me. Before that, even on sailings that I wasn't feeling really bad, I still had that faint hint that the naseau could strike at any time. It's a horrible feeling.

Now, perhaps taking the ginger had more of a placebo affect than a true medicinal one, but many people have tried it and gotten good results.

Still, if I haven't sailed on a Fantasy-class ship since I've changed my regimen, so we'll see how it goes next month. And, of course, it just depends on the seas. However, after not really having any problems on my 2nd Fantasy cruise, we did the exact same cruise 7 months later on Elation. Although the seas seemed very calm, I was sick on that one. Made no sense to me, but it happened.

Anyway, taking the Ginger certainly can't hurt.

Don't ask me why, but I'm told by many that keeping some food in your stomach all the time is a good thing. Many get really excited, and go long periods of time without eating and sometimes get an upset stomach that way. I know, I know . . . makes no sense, but I'm only the messenger. :D

Hi,

Would you please tell me just what form you buy the ginger in? Are there actual ginger pills, or are you referring to the spice itself? If so, how do you mix it to take it?

Thanks,

Gale

I'm convinced the ginger absolutely has made the difference for me. Before that, even on sailings that I wasn't feeling really bad, I still had that faint hint that the naseau could strike at any time. It's a horrible feeling.

Now, perhaps taking the ginger had more of a placebo affect than a true medicinal one, but many people have tried it and gotten good results.

Still, if I haven't sailed on a Fantasy-class ship since I've changed my regimen, so we'll see how it goes next month. And, of course, it just depends on the seas. However, after not really having any problems on my 2nd Fantasy cruise, we did the exact same cruise 7 months later on Elation. Although the seas seemed very calm, I was sick on that one. Made no sense to me, but it happened.

Anyway, taking the Ginger certainly can't hurt.

Hi,

Would you please tell me just what form you buy the ginger in? Are there actual ginger pills, or are you referring to the spice itself? If so, how do you mix it to take it?

Thanks,

Gale

You can get ginger pills in the vitamin section of walmart, very cheap

Archived