Alaska Arctic Adventure

wisc9757

We are second time cruisers (Jan of 08 Princess San Juan to Acapulco via Panama Canal –great, great trip except for Acapulco Hyatt and Continental Airlines). We are booked on the Princess Artic Explorer in August of 09. Have a copy of the review posted by Jollywarrior, August 26th, 2008. Doing tour first to Anchorage to Denali (Princess Wilderness Lodge) to Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay then Cruise Whittier to Vancouver and bus back to Seattle.

Any comments from cruisers who have made this trip would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody doing the Panama Canal trip with stops in Curacao, Aruba, Cartagena, Puntarenas, San Juan del Sol, Huatulco, and Acapulco. ask away.

Back to the Alaska experience, anybody got comments (good or bad) about the Princess Wilderness Lodge? What about food prices on the land portion of our cruisetour, they are not included in the Princess price correct? Any comments about shore excursion in Skagway, Juneau, or Ketchikan?

Wisc9757

what Princess Wilderness Lodge??? Rereading- I think you are referrning to the Denali Princess?? It's ok, right in the middle of glitter gulch, a very busy tourist area with lots of walkable shops and dining. Budget 50% more for meals than you do at home, then you have a cushion for some splurges.

You need to do your homework with shore excursions. There are 100's of excellent tours to pick from. Look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, then repost. There is no point in me recommending my favorites, if not your thing or out of your budget. :)

Budget Queen is right - post where your interests lie, and then people will be able to steer you in the right direction.

But until then, let me tell you about OUR favorite excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan. Juneau has wonderful whale watching - we went with Harv and Marv's - wow!!! Small boats (6 people max) and they give such great, personalized service. Operators born and raised in Alaska, very, very knowledgeable, and so much fun! You can tell they love their jobs! Saw lots of humpbacks, eagles, and a sea lion or two. Highly recommend them!

In Ketchikan, the first time we went (2006), we took a float plane with Michelle of Island Wings. Again - wow! Expensive, but so worth it! The second time in Ketchikan (2008), we booked sea kayaking thru HAL - what an adventure! Not as strenuous as I had imagined and such a great time! Really enjoyed it!

Do your homework, read, read, read these boards!, hit your local library or bookstore and grab some books (Fodors and Frommers are our favorites) to study up on your upcoming trip.

Alaska is magnificent - we're headed back again in 2010 - this time starting with 7 days in Seward/Homer area, then a southbound cruise to Vancouver. Can't wait - but its over a year away:o so I'll have to live vicariously through all of you. Enjoy your trip!

Alaska is magnificent - we're headed back again in 2010 - this time starting with 7 days in Seward/Homer area, then a southbound cruise to Vancouver. Can't wait - but its over a year away:o so I'll have to live vicariously through all of you. Enjoy your trip!

So true; Alaska is magnificent isn't it? We're also looking forward to 2010; and will just have to dream away till then. This year after spending a great time in Hoonah; then explored the Kenai Peninsula for 7 nights before our Southbound cruise. We loved the Kenai Peninsula!

So true; Alaska is magnificent isn't it? We're also looking forward to 2010; and will just have to dream away till then. This year after spending a great time in Hoonah; then explored the Kenai Peninsula for 7 nights before our Southbound cruise. We loved the Kenai Peninsula!

SEPyle

I am in the proces of planning an 8 night stay, for 2 couples in the Kenai Peninsula area next July. What were your fav's to do in this area. We are planning:

Girdwood-(2 nights)-glacier jet tour and hiking in the area

Homer-(3nights)1 day bear viewing with Bald Mountain Air, possible day to Seldovia or Kachemak Bay State Park

Seward-(3nights) 9hr. Kenai Fjords Tour, kayaking and hike to Harding Ice Field

SB cruise on Sapphire Princess

Any info would be appreciated

Archived