specifics on 'special meal' options

nilsbyy

I noticed there were options for both lacto-ovo vegetarian and vegetarian, but I also noticed in the FAQ that they said they can't accomodate vegan diets. What distinction are they making between non-lacto-ovo vegetarian and vegan? Are the vegetarian meals dairy/egg-free? If anyone has experience with this, please let me know! I don't eat bird/mammal, eggs, or dairy because of an unusual set of food intolerances, but I do eat fish and seafood. Am I going to starve to death on my week-long cruise?

Hi,

I'm not able to help you with specifics but would highly recommend you contact RCL direct with your question as your requirements are quite specific:

Email : foodallergies@rccl.com

I'm fairly sure that the vegetarian options will include eggs in say pasta dishes and maybe cream in the sauces.

I appreciate that you are intolerant as opposed to allergic and certainly sympathise. I'm sure you won't starve but they will be able to support you if you let them know what your needs are.

I am a vegetarian, but not vegan. The vegtarian meals can be vegan, but do not need to be. I have ordered the Indian vegetarian meals in the past, which I assume have been vegan because of the description (chickpeas masala, for example) but I do not know for sure. They may even flag which of their meals are vegan.

I don't eat fish, but there appears to be plenty of it, and not all steamed and swimming in sauce. You can't starve on a cruise!

el henry

If you are dairy and egg intolerant, I recommend you send an email to Special Needs at least 45 days before your cruise advising them of your dietary restrictions. The email you should use is foodallergies@rccl.com and include the guests' names, reservation ID number, ship's name and voyage date.

Then at dinner the first night make sure your waiter and headwaiter are aware of your food allergy issues and what you can and cannot have. What they will most likely do is discuss with you each night the next night's menu so that you can choose what you need. It may be as simple as leaving a sauce off a fish dish etc.

If you eat in the Windjammer buffet, make sure to ask what has gone into dishes, usually best to find a supervisor or a manager. As I'm sure you aware eggs and dairy can be found in a lot of things, so don't assume that something doesn't have it.

If you use soy milk, make sure to make that request in your email as well. I didn't ask last time (assumed they would have it) and it wasn't readily available.

I am a vegetarian, but not vegan. The vegtarian meals can be vegan, but do not need to be. I have ordered the Indian vegetarian meals in the past, which I assume have been vegan because of the description (chickpeas masala, for example) but I do not know for sure. They may even flag which of their meals are vegan.

Actually some Indian meals contain things like yogurt which would not work for the OP.

Actually some Indian meals contain things like yogurt which would not work for the OP.

Quite right, although in my case they usually brought dal in a separate dish. But that doesn't mean it wasn't in the meal as well.

In this instance, not only would I contact RCCL in advance, I would as you said more importantly alert the maitre d'. My last cruise was the only time I ever tipped them more than recommended, as they were quite attentive to my dietary requests.

el henry

Archived