Lunch off the ship?

SanNic44

If you're looking for a very nice lunch off the ship in Oranjestaad, Aruba, I can recommend Chez Matilde. It is located behind the Renaissance Mall, which is a main shopping area only a few minutes walk from the cruise docks. I posted a video of the interior and our lunch on my blog.

The place is a little formal but not pretentious, just very good service. Lunch specials of any soup with any sandwich or any soup with any salad are US $14.50, which is fair for the high quality.

Just an option I wanted to mention to those cruisers stopping in Aruba.

Bon dia!

We just got back from our cruise where we spent a day in Aruba.

We found the prices of food to be quite expensive. We stopped in at a Duncan Doughnut and also Senior Frogs.

We loved Palm Beach it is beautiful and has everything you need right there. Take the bus it is very inexpensive. $1.30 per person from the port to the beach. Be very careful where you walk, we saw a drug house right in the area of the port and all of the shops.

SanNic44

Do you have any recommendations for local food? In Korsow, the Truki Pan places don't open until near midnight but are there similar places in Oranjestad which may be open earlier? How about any places with good sate patata cu pinda saus?

Our ship will be in port until 10 pm during our December cruise and we are looking for an alternative place for lunch. We will be visiting Curacao as well but I have to fill up on my kroket, bitteballen, pastechi and sate whenever I get the chance.

SanNic44-

Does Coca Cola give you free soda every time you mention them in your blog? :-D

You mentioned several good eateries on your website. Do you have any places in town that you like? I have been to Aruba on 3 different occasions starting in the early 1980s so I do not plan to rent a car this time.

Dushi,

The local eateries that I know (and like best) are outside of Oranjestaad and require a car to take you there. In particular Casa Vieja for Colombian food. The other items you mention are not my favorites so I can't give a good recommendation. However, I will ask around and see if anyone can tell me some places that are worth it.

As for Coca-Cola, no, I don't get a free soda every time I mention them. My grandfather worked for Coca-Cola many years. When he fell ill, Coca-Cola took very good care of him, and for this and some other things I am very grateful to that company. I also enjoy their products.:D

Thanks for checking out the blog.

Bon dia from Aruba.

Archived