Peanut Allergy

louden

I would appreciate any information about traveling with peanut allergies. Our grandson is allergic and we would love to introduce he and his family to cruising but this condition is potentially fatal as you know. Any info/advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

We have a daughter with a peanut allergy. Our TA takes care of notifying the cruise line ahead of time about her situation. We have found both Princess and Celebrity to be helpful if given advance warning of the allergy. I would suggest you book early so that you can get traditional dining. Having the same wait staff each night will be very helpful. I believe you can get them to provide you with information on the next day's menu so you can ascertain ahead of time whether there are any peanut issues. Bottom line, though, either you or the parents have to maintain constant vigilance -- ask about anything that is the least bit questionable (e.g., sauces, fillings).

How old is your grandson? With a younger child, it is easier to supervise and control what he eats. If he's older, is he responsible enough to be careful when visiting the buffet? Also, has he ever had a severe reaction (e.g., requiring the administration of an Epipen or hospitalization)? That would make me reluctant to try it.

--Junglejane

Dear JungleJane;

Thank you so much for the quick response and information. From your experience it sounds as if this might not be the holiday for him. We were doubtful to start with but were hoping it could work. Wishing you many more wonderful cruises.

I also am allergic to peanuts. On the Crown Princess, in the buffet, please be very careful not to get some kind of boysenberry or loganberry crepes at breakfast. I had no idea that they used peanut butter as a thickening agent for a fruit topping!

Needless to say, it was a bad morning.

That was the only item I have ever had any trouble with on any cruise as most often everything is labeled clearly.

Do you have an Epi pen to take with you?

ddpe

I just want to add something after reading you second post.

Please do not limit his experiences in life because of this allergy. That is the wrong thing to do. I even travel to Asia where I have zero communication ability and where peanuts are used frequently in ways we normally don't use them - apple and peanut? I have learned to just touch items I am unsure about to my lip or tongue and then see if I feel the reaction.

I am not suggesting that, but I think the suggestion above of doing traditional dining and sticking with simple foods allows him to experience more in life. He also needs to learn how to handle this in real life. He will not be a child forever.

I didn't mean to scare the OP away from cruising with their peanut allergic grandson. My DD has been on six cruises and we have a 7th booked. She is 12 and we realize that she has to learn to be responsible for herself as she becomes more and more independent.

In many ways cruising is superior to other vacations where you might go out to different restaurants for every meal. You have the advantage of dealing with the same staff every day, and as I mentioned before we have found that both Celebrity and Princess try to be accomodating. I was just trying to make the point that you can't dish all the responsibility off on the cruise line to make sure your kid or grandkid doesn't eat the wrong thing. The parents have to be responsible and eventually the kid himself has to learn to be responsible. It's not that different from a person with diabetes. You can't just sit at home forever. You have to learn to take charge and live in the world despite the challenges you have to face. Good luck to the OP and the OP's grandson!:)

--Junglejane

I do not have a severe allergy but I work in a school with many children who wear epi-pens. the epi-pens are meant to BUY time until we can get them (via an ambulance) to a hospital. They give you 15 min. of life. What are your options on a cruise ship? Is the medical center equipped to deal with a severe allergic reaction? that would be the question I would be asking. If they are, then enjoy the cruise (obviously being careful as outlined above) but if they aren't ----then don't get on the ship with your grandson.

though nothing as extreme as a nut allergy (I'm an ER RN and know it's consequences) I do have an allergy that has just started up, to red peppers. It causes huge hives on my face that are uncomfortable, ugly but not life threatening. I mentioned it on our cruise last month on the Tahitian and they took it very seriously indeed, to the unecessary action of not even serving me black pepper. The head waiter checked in every night and I was asked to choose something from the menu for the next night so that the chef could make sure there were no red peppers. I told them it wasn't life threatening but they were still very concerned. If they paid this much attention to a mild allergy I'm sure they will take nut allergies very seriously. And PLEASE - make sure your family member carries an epi pen,- it's not good if mom is carrying it and she's not there - and the child knows how to use it!!

Terry

Just my two cents here.

If it were my grandson, son or any child that has a life threatening allergy, I don't think I could put them in harms way at the knowledge of others.

Even though cruise ships do their very best with different medical diets, would you honestly trust them with an allergy so life threatening, with a medical center that is only open certain hours? And if there is an emergency, it does take a while to find a doctor and nurse to administer treatment.

Personally, if I can't read the label, it would not be given to my child with an allergy this severe. All it would take is one mistake to cause terrible consequences.

Remember, this is just my opinion, but it would not be worth the chance of something happening if it were my child.

Have your TA let the cruise line know; follow up with the Maitre'D once onboard.

I am allergic to nuts of all kinds, and have been treated very well onboard Princess (and Cunard, and Holland America for that matter) - they take allergies, especially potentially fatal ones, very seriously, and will make every effort to identify items with peanuts in them, or go out of their way to create alternate choices for you.

I assume your grandson has an Epipen? Absolutely essential in case of emergencies.

Hi, another peanut allergy person here...you probably already know this but be sure to call the airline way ahead of time and request a "no peanut flight". This will ensure no chance of peanut dust particles in the air. Also confirm your request the day prior to the flight.

Good luck with your trip!

As peanut and other nut allergies are fairly common, it would seem likely that items containing these would be very easily identifiable by the staff. Consider a cruise to be not different that any other vacation where you will not be preparing your own food and take sollace in the fact that the cruise line will do everything possible to keep the child safe.

From past experiences, Princess onboard dining staff are well versed in dealing with food allergies.

You may want to research what the medicial facilities are onboard in case of an emergency (I suspect they are fine though) just for peace of mind.

With your own vigilance, the assistance of the staff, and your emergency supply of epi-pens (or epi-pen Jr's) I see no reason not to take the cruise.

Just my opinion, of course.

This past summer while cruising we had to seek out medical help due to our daughter having an allergic reaction to the hand wipes of all things. The care was superb and it is like a mini hosiptal. We started cruising because my DH has a chronic illness and we have the security of medical services. On one cruise we met a couple with a child allergic to peanuts. It was their third cruise and they always notifiy the cruise line when they book. They found it easier to eat most meals in the formal dining room. And have had no problems.

Rianvi

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to address our concerns. Your advice and experiences have helped us

to put things a little more in perspective. Think it is time to reconsider and encourage our grandson ( and his parents ) to give cruising a try. Once again thank you.

Archived