Food on Western Caribbean

jenphan

The menus are pretty standard on all of the cruises --- I think that by now, the new "small plate, large plate" menus have been phased in fleet wide. But saying that, you do get some variation depending on the chef in charge. However, Princess always seems to do a great job on their seafood, it's one of their strengths, in my opinion. I'll be on the January Ruby cruise with you and I'm expecting to order seafood almost every night.

The menus are pretty standard on all of the cruises --- I think that by now, the new "small plate, large plate" menus have been phased in fleet wide. But saying that, you do get some variation depending on the chef in charge. However, Princess always seems to do a great job on their seafood, it's one of their strengths, in my opinion. I'll be on the January Ruby cruise with you and I'm expecting to order seafood almost every night.

What do you mean "small plate, large plate" menus? I haven noticed any change in the portions lately or any size portion being offered. Did they have a child's menu available with smaller portions?

"Small plates" are basically appetizers, and "largeplates" are main courses. I assume that one could choose a small plate in place of a large plate for a main course if the mood strikes.

Caribbean Princess has a Caribbean-themed menu in place of the continental menu. It's pretty weak IMO. Also, look for themed buffets in the Cafe Caribe, which all the newer ships have. We went to the German buffet (excellent) in place of the dining room for the Caribbean menu.

What do you mean "small plate, large plate" menus? I haven noticed any change in the portions lately or any size portion being offered. Did they have a child's menu available with smaller portions?

Spongerob is right --- "Small plates, large plates" came in when Princess changed the menus about a year and a half ago. The main difference is that the old menus were divided up by categories -- appetizers together, soup together, salads together. In the older cruising days, when everyone had traditional, it was more regimented and pretty much everyone ordered one item from each, and each course was served to all at the table. "Small plates "now are all the appetizers, soups and salads.The new arrangement encourages more mixing and matching. You may want two appetizers and no salad or soup, your tablemate may want soup and salad. Usually the number of courses seem to match up pretty well, at\least in our experience. But the whole concept is more flexible now, in keeping the overall trend in cruising. Anyway, for a long time this was the way to tell if your ship had implemented the new menus --- if they were divided up by the small and large plate format, you were getting the new menus with some new items.

sounds great ... i've been craving princess' delicious shrimp cocktails. hopefully i can find them on ruby.

Should be no problem --- shrimp cocktail is usually available on the always available menu. It's not a large serving but the waiter will bring more if you just ask. By the way, have you been over to our roll call????

that shrimp cocktail comment made my day. thank you lol. and no i have not ... i don't know how it works and such. i'm still very new to this forum

These are the always available items from the dinner menu's. In case you don't see something of interest to order from the rest of the menu (which changes daily) you can fall back & order any of these things. On a few evenings I ordered the Fettuccine Alfredo as an appetizer. (which we never eat at home anymore)

http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/43096/2324901710103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/44675/2262986850103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived