Komodo on own?

RvMay

The cruise ship wants $99 per person for the Komodo excursion into the park to see the dragons. From the tour description, it sounds like it's walking distance from where the tenders drop you off, and then only about $18 pp to get in the park. Has anyone done this on their own? There are 4 of us, so the savings could be substantial if it is true.

I have been to Komodo Island 30 or 40 times when my ship was calling there every week. A truly fascinating place.

You need to be aware that Komodo is home to several thousand of these "dragons". They are actually monitor lizards. Most are somewhat larger than full grown alligators. These are the only reptiles with teeth. Those teeth are filled with a deadly poison. These thousands of "dragons" like to hide in the underbrush, waiting for any animal (including humans) to pass by.

Then they lunge out and bite the animal, injecting the deadly poison with the bite. The animal (possibly you) runs a few hundred meters, and then drops dead.

The lizards then slowly walk over and have "lunch".

One of the best parts of the paid tour is a guide who carries a pole to keep the dragons away. He also knows the safest trails to walk to avoid sudden death.

Even better, he knows how to quickly get any bite victims to a station where the poison antidote can be injected to save your life.

From the beach, you can walk to the center of the park (where the dragons congregate) in a short time. The walk is generally hot and humid, and a bit swampy at times. There is a great amount of underbrush on the way, where the dragons like to hide. In the center of the park is a large cage that you would normally see at a zoo. But there are no animals inside. When you arrive, they put the people inside and allow the dragons to walk around and try to get inside to "have lunch".

My life is worth far more than $99 to me, so I always take the guided tour.

By the way, Komodo Dragons are very good swimmers. You can sometimes see them swimming near some very nice beaches at Komodo. If you decide to do any swimming or sunbathing there, you should be very careful and keep your eyes open.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you are allowed to go on your own in Komodo. After you pay your park fees, a ranger with a long stick will accompany you. With a cruise ship in, I don't think there are enough rangers to go around.

Philip is correct. Dragon bite is fatal. Take them seriously. There are a couple of death every year in Komodo village, and the villagers are the people who know about dragons than anybody. I've been there twice, and I've seen some tourists getting too close to the dragons. That's why they don't want you out there on your own.

Take water, a hat, and insect repellent. Some parts are quite buggy.

Around Komodo is one of the premier diving and snorkeling destinations in the world. Small ships you'll see around there are on one-week live-aboard diving trips. People from all over the world come to Komodo to dive, and it's well worth the fifteen hour flight. I haven't seen a dragon swimming while snorkeling in the pink beach there, fortunately or unfortunately.

By the park entrance which is right by the pier, there's a dingy little hotel. There are always quite a few dragons sticking around the kitchen waiting for the garbage to be thrown out. If you don't want to pay for the ship's tour, just take the tender, and go to the hotel. You'll get to see plenty of dragons there. You'll avoid the hot walk. But you'll miss families of monkeys, wild buffalos and beautiful scenery from the top.

The whole island is the park, and the only thing to do there is to see the Komodo dragons. There's nothing else there, except a little settlement on other side of the island where you won't be welcome.

Archived