Street Scams of Barcelona

Interesting reading, thanx for posting.

I found a similar site awhile ago that gave 16 safety guidelines for visiting Barcelona:

1. pay attention & don't have valuables on show

2. if confronted w/ group of people trying to get your attention, promptly turn your back & leave

3. only carry around as much money as you need for that day, leave the rest in a hotel safe

4. do not carry a backpack on your back, keep your things in front of you

5. keep your camera in a jacket pocket, out of sight; if it has to go in a bag, keep it in front of you, not at your side

6. if you have to look at the map, go to a cafe & sit rather than look while in the street

7. in cafes & restaurants, keep your belonging in sight

8. watch for distraction/theft scams

9. pay special attention at stations

10. pick-pockets work fast, so keep your eyes open, be aware of surroundings

11. have travel insurance

12. keep your passport safe

13. don't be fooled by fake policemen (policemen are clearly identifiable in Barcelona, ask for "their" identification & when they show it look at it carefully to make sure it is real)

14. emulate the dress code of the locals

15. avoid walking in dark isolated back streets

16. do not leave belongings unattended when at the beach

Of course, the site went into more detail. These things seem like common sense, but when we're traveling, sometimes we let our guard down-can never be too careful.

We broke quite a few of those rules one night in Barcelona.

We were maybe a mile from our hotel sitting at a local neighborhood bar drinking and snacking. And then the rain hit. We tried to wait it out but finally gave up. We were DRENCHED rats and got lost in all the dark back alleys. Tried to get help, and did stand outside trying to find outselves on the now soaked map.

No cabs anywhere. Places start closing up in mid evening. We eventually found our way back. Three days later, clothes are still wet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, please do be aware of your surroundings and the people that are around you. We were in Barcelona end of October (11/1 Celebrity Summit sailing). We had a large group of people going on the cruise and we were spread out in different hotels in Barcelona. One of the men in our group was pick pocketed his first night in Barcelona. He's an older man, but street smart, and has traveled all over the world, but it happened to him for the first time in Spain. A man came up to him and told him a bird crapped on his shoulder and he was pretending to wipe off the bird crap but was really picking his pocket. He lost about 500 euros and some credit cards, but at least he was not hurt. That same night me, my husband, my mom-in-law and another lady went to dinner at Las Caracoles. When we left the restaurant, my mom-in-law started walking ahead of us and was distracted by a store, and a group of street men kind of surrounded her and one got right in her face asking for "dollar bills, dollar bills". She was confused and tried to laugh them off, but luckily my husband saw what was happening and went and got her awy from the men. I'm sure the one was trying to distract her while the others were looking to see what they could steal from her. So just be aware, don't leave anything in your back pockets, carry a small purse you can wear across your body and hold it front of you, don't wear flashy jewelry, etc.

I don't think this was a scam, but be careful when using credit cards. In 2006, in a shop inside the Princess terminal in Barcelona, we were buying four very nice ceramic coasters, the price was 30 euro.

The sales lady ran my credit card through a wireless device to charge my credit card. Some problem, the device did not seem to register, so she asked for my card a second time and ran it through the device again. Still no luck getting the needed connection. We decided to pay in cash.

You can see this one coming, when we got the credit card bill, there was the 30 euro charge from Barcelona TWICE! So we had paid 90 euros for these coasters. After much telephoning and letter writing with the credit card company, my wife finally got credit for the two charges made to our account.

With the availability of ATMs in Europe, I guess the lesson is pay cash!

Bill

Don't feel confident about #14. Any local on the make can spot a tourist...not just by what they are wearing. Ditto for the looking at the map. To locals, most tourists really stand out and most especially those who are trying to make themselves look like a local. The real locals just laugh at it.

The bird dropping thing isn't anything new in Barcelona. On our first trip my wife got hit with what looked like bird doo doo and a man appeared quickly willing to help her..."Lady you need water!" We turned and went the opposite direction (RUN). I have heard of this happening on the beach where someone will squirt mustard on your shirt. Heck its just mustard get the heck out of there. I have been to Europe may times and when someone approaches you even asking for the time of day be aware your being checked out. By all means do not carry your credit card in your shirt front pocket. That nice young lady you let get by with the baby on the train will take that credit card without a blink and you won't even know that it happened. These people are really good at what they do but don't make it easy for them. Tim

I was able to relax much more on this trip because I invested $7.95 in a little satin pouch that clips onto a bra. I found the link in the beauty and fashion section of CC. I kept a few euros in my pocket and the rest hidden away. I also kept a credit card, just in case. Then I walked about not concerned about a thing. Huge difference from my paranoia when traveling with a purse, assuming everyone I meet is going to try to steal it!

Also, it rained while we were in Barcelona and we carried travel umbrellas, which would have worked well to 'bonk' someone! I would probably never do it but it made me feel secure!!!

cp

Archived