Cozumel Single Tank Reef SCUBA dive possible?

BrianSBC

We are arriving in Cozumel on the Grandeur Dec 6th at 7AM. I would like to take a single tank reef dive (including equipment) that would get me back to the ship before 11:30. Is this possible? I have sent this message to Papa Hog and Eagle Ray without any response. So any one have some other ideas?

I don't know of any ops that do single tank morning dives in Coz. However there are many that do two tank morning dives with surface intervals at various beach clubs along the shoreline. You could cab back to the ship from the surface interval site. Suggest that to the op, if it is during busy season, they may insist you pay for both tanks $55-70 even if you bail on the 2nd. You would be taking a spot a full paying customer could be in. So to answer you question, it is possible, but may be costly for just one tank. Cab fare depending on where the surface interval is could be as much as $15-20.

Other ops to try

Blue Angel

Blue XT Sea

Deep Blue

Good Luck

Rich

Or you could go to Chankanaab park and to a shore dive with one of the onsite dive operators. You would have the added thrill of seeing the park too. Cost? About $10 for the taxi to the park, $12 park admission, $35 or so for the dive, mandatory guide and gear included.

I have to wonder, why do you have to be back to the ship so early?

Bruce, that is a good option you suggested.....as to why I need to be back at the ship so early........I want to meet up with my family and head out for a day of fun at Paradise Beach! That way I can have my cake and eat it too.....

I want to meet up with my family and head out for a day of fun at Paradise Beach! That way I can have my cake and eat it too.....

That sounds like a good plan, but instead of having to go back to the ship after the dive, you could probably arrange with the dive operator to be dropped off at PB after your first dive, or perhaps after the second dive depending on where the dive site is of course. I know that several of the dive op's, including Blue XT Sea, do their surface intervals at one of the beach clubs. The club varies due to the dive site locations, but since most of the good dive sites are to the south and PB is to the south, it shouldn't be hard to arrange.

You can also do a shore dive near Papa Hogs dive shop or the Blue Angel dive shop located next to the Caribe Blue hotel . Scubaboard.com has more information on some possible shore dives. For what it is worth, most shore diving in Coz is shallow and it is not uncommon for people to solo dive from shore. Most solo divers stay shallow and fairly close to shore. Also, this is not an endorsement or recommendation for you to solo dive. Only you can decide if solo diving is right for you.

I'll ponder on it a bit but can you see anything interesting on a shore dive?

I'm expecting to see plenty of interesting smaller stuff when I shore dive in Cozumel in December. I'm especially interested in finding and photographing a sea horse. I read an exceptionally good trip report there the author had photos of a sea horse that she took while solo shore diving at the Caribe Blue hotel. Alicia's trip report is here if you are interested.

We just returned from Cozumel.

We dove with the same operator we have for 3 previous trips.

Victor at Wildcat Diver's... he is small and will tailor the dive to your needs.

It is $75 including gear for 2 tank dive...

we were in a hurry just like you so we decided to do just 1 dive so we could get back to the family. I still paid him $75... I didn't feel right beating him down after we had already booked him "private" for the day. But he may be willing to give you a better rate if you just ask ahead of time.

Also he is very efficient...

You take a cab to his marina 5-10 min $5 (La Caleta)

30-40 min to dive site (at least the one we used)

25 min wall drift dive

45 min surface interval

45 shallow drift dive

30-40 min back to marina

10 min cab to cruise boat = 3.5 hrs off the cruise by 8am back by 11:30

I'd go for 2 Dives

If you are by yourself he probably won't be able to do it. (we dove with 3)

his website is: www.amproductions.com/wildcat.html

i would call him direct 011 52 987 872 10 28

Good Luck

CozAngel.jpg.90500fb8d76509e02d94ebc38e1c2dd2.jpg

Brian,

If your goal is to sprend the afternoon at PB with family you can have your cake and eat it to. There is no reason to do just one tank and try to get back to the ship. You can do both tanks and be dropped off at PB by the dive boat and meet your family there at around noon. Here is a link to a map to give you an idea where PB is, and the reefs.

http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html

There are plenty of reefs south of PB to do both your first and second dives and they can drop you off at PB with ease. The one tank request ect is more logistically difficult for them to deal with than just dropping you at PB when you are done with both tanks. Plus you get in a 2nd dive. Win Win situation. The dive ops routinely pick up and drop off divers at resorts further south than PB every day, so your request will be easy for them to deal with.

email Matt and Debbie at Deep Blue, they should be able to accomidate you

Have Fun

Rich

Archived