What is going to happen to the Saga Rose?

Moeve

Has that been decided yet? Is she heading for the scrapyard or will she live on elsewhere for a period of time. I know her problem is SOLAS 2010 but this was the first ship I worked on so there is a soft spot for her in my heart and sadly I am not old enough to be allowed to cruise on her before she is sold off. Saga won't make any acceptions even on her final season :snob: :sniff:

Has that been decided yet? Is she heading for the scrapyard or will she live on elsewhere for a period of time. I know her problem is SOLAS 2010 but this was the first ship I worked on so there is a soft spot for her in my heart and sadly I am not old enough to be allowed to cruise on her before she is sold off. Saga won't make any acceptions even on her final season :snob: :sniff:

My condolences to you on the removal of Saga Rose in the near future. I have heard nothing new since being onboard for 18 days on the Greenland/Iceland cruise in 2007 when the gossip was fast and hard about her future. At that time, much mention was being made of a newbuild Saga ship but obviously that possibility is not to be.

Since you were staff, I have a question. The grand dining room has those peculiar fairy-light "chandeliers" above the middle of the room. Were those lights in place when you were onboard and do you know why they were placed there? They are so antithetical to the rest of the "mature" decor of that ship.

It is indeed so very sad to contemplate this beautiful ship off the water for good.

Ruby

Since I am not old enough to have see her after the refit for Saga Holidays I am not sure what they look like now... Did you take a photo of them? I'll have to dig out may old photos and have alook to see. I was crew when she was still the "Sagafjord" under the Cunard banner

Since I am not old enough to have see her after the refit for Saga Holidays I am not sure what they look like now... Did you take a photo of them? I'll have to dig out may old photos and have alook to see. I was crew when she was still the "Sagafjord" under the Cunard banner

No worries about the chandeliers. Many of us muse about the odd contrast of the modern fairy lights versus the usual, more staid ship decor, but we are fairly certain the fairy-light chandeliers are a relatively new addition.

I sailed on Sagafjord and Vistafjord back in the day, but they were under the Norwegian American Line flags. Frankly, I didn't know they were also under Cunard but my grasp of maritime history is faint, at best.

You are so lucky to have been on staff on such a fine liner back in the day. Are you now on dry land? But what wonderful experiences you must have had on Sagafjord!

Ruby

Yes I am now on dry land but have not lost my cruising connection - I now own my own agency specialized in cruising.

I had a look at my photos and if you are refering to those chandeliers that have several tiers? Then those have probably been around for much longer than you think. I was on the Sagafjord 1993 & 1994 after that my (now ex.) husband (first off) spent some time on the Vistafjord. Still the Sagafjord was both our first ships his 20 years before mine so she is really special to us because we met on her too.

Yes I am now on dry land but have not lost my cruising connection - I now own my own agency specialized in cruising.

I had a look at my photos and if you are refering to those chandeliers that have several tiers? Then those have probably been around for much longer than you think.

The fairy lights in the dining room of Saga Rose look like extremely tangled spiderwebs, large masses of shiny golden threads with bits of glitter and spangles dispersed throughout the mass. When we look up, we see a very large abstract form of a beehive with a broad top and conical end, all made up of tangled masses of the bright-gold wire and spangles which dangle quite far down toward the central aisle and move slightly with a breeze. My information was that the fairy light "chandeliers" were installed in a recent renovation, perhaps just a few years.

How wonderful that you turned your seagoing experiences ultimately into owning a cruise agency. Congratulations on making a business out of a favoured experience.

Ruby

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I worked on both of the sister ships - the Ruby when she was the Caronia (2001-2002) and the Rose when she was the Rose (2006). I don't remember the chandeliers on the Rose looking like fairy lights - I remember the tiered chandeliers as described earlier. However, when I left the ship in Dec 2006, it was getting ready for dry dock and the dining room might have been on the renovations list. I looked through my digital photos, and unfortunately do not have any photos from the dining room that show the chandeliers, and my photos taken from a film camera are currently packed in a box.

Archived