confused and need help about changes at NOLA port

memriesboys

I read a thread yesterday that was discussing some changes (and major inconveniences) at the NOLA port recently. My group in *5* cars will be heading down there this coming Thursday (11th). I have been once before, but that was May 2003. When you pulled up to the port, there was a large, fenced in parking area right there at the terminal...within 50 yrds walking distance, as I remember. We were cruising the Holiday at that time, though, and this time we are cruising the Sensation (same or different terminal?). Since I live not far from NOLA, I have driven in that traffic several times in my life, and I know how hectic and crazy it is (give me Dallas anyday;-)). And with 4 other cars following, we need to have a *target*, so to speak....we can't really wander around aimlessly, looking for where to park and not lose each other. Can someone who's cruised the Sensation recently tell me what, in their opinion, is the best gameplan for us?

Thanks!

~Memrie

Hey Memrie. I just returned from a Sensation cruise yesterday. YEP, one big mess :eek: at the terminal. The port authority lot (the one you've used) is closed. They are building a high-rise garage for parking, which will be great, BUT not right now.

What's happening now is: From Fulton St. Garage/Hertz, there are no more little shuttles to the terminal...as they are using the HUGE Hotard busses (complimentary) for passengers. My suggestion (and I'll give you directions):

When you exit onto Tchoupitoulas, go on to Convention Ctr. Blvd., as you've done in the past.

Instead of taking a right at CC Blvd. to go to the terminal, take a LEFT on CC Blvd. About 2 blocks on your left will be Fulton St. Garage/Hertz (corner of CC Blvd. and Fulton St.).

The entrance for parking is from CC Blvd. (Don't go down Fulton St.) Go up into the garage parking. On first level, there's a garage attendant who will give you a ticket AND a tag to hang on your rearview mirror. Then you park on level 5,6, or 7. Take your luggage in the elevator to the ground floor. (Yep, mucho trouble.)

Go to the cashier's window - pay the $12 per day. You'll be given either a pink or blue receipt. (Hang onto this, as it will matter when you return.) Then all luggage goes onto a bus. You will board another bus, which will take you to the terminal entrance. Don't worry - there are a lot of folks there to direct you.

Upon your return, you will be asked if you have a pink or blue receipt, and will be directed to a certain bus, and your luggage will be 'under' the same bus, so you arrive back at FS Garage WITH your luggage. Take your luggage in the elevator to your car, and drive out. There will be an attendant collecting the rearview mirror tags as you exit the garage.

I know this sounds long and drawn out, and oh so confusing, and it is not nearly as easy as it once was......but they're doing the best they can while the high-rise is being built. ;)

If I have thoroughly confused you, ask any questions.

Cotton - thanks for the wonderful directions. We have cruised out of NO 3 times and have always parked at the pier. It looks like they will still be working on the area when we sail in July 2005 - as I heard they won't be finished until December 2005. I will have to bookmark this for future reference.

Thanks -----

How far and how long did it take you to drive to New Orleans? My Dad lives near you and I was hoping to see him before or after our cruise. We're flying in a day early and staying a day extra.

Thanks.

From my home in Gulfport, it usually takes me around an hour and 15 minutes - depending on traffic. Could take 15-30 minutes more at busy times.

Memrie,

I just returned from Conquest yesterday. Yes, port parking is a mess... but don't worry... thanks to a fellow CC members recommendation we parked with Machu Picchu Travel www.machupicchutours.com

Angel the owner is very nice. His lot is about 1 mile from the port (real close to the interstate). You can arrive at his lot with little to no traffic. And he is only about 2 blocks away from a Wal Mart (in case you have a "I forgot to pack moment"). His lot is covered and secure. He will shuttle you and your luggage down to the terminal (in either a shuttle van or a small bus that should hold your 5 car caravan all at once). He charges $12/day but only charges for 6 days hence $72 vs $84. He and his staff will move your bags onto the shuttle bus. Then unload them to a porter at the port.

We arrived around 3pm and he drove us straight to the terminal almost no traffic. He did say that the traffic was real bad earlier.

Our pickup at the end of the cruise was complicated because my bother and his family got off the boat 1 hr before us (Angel was waiting and we sent him on to the lot with that load. And he was buried in traffic trying to get back). So my advice is if your party does not have the same color Bag tags find some way to link yourselfs together ! for disembarkation or simply have Angel wait for everyone.

Have Fun,

Can you still drop off your luggage at the port before parking?? I don't really want to have to go through all of that with the buses from the Fulton Street garage. Also, I remember looking at a map and thought that the Whale Lot would be closer to park at. Is it not very big or unsafe?? Thanks for the help!!! :confused:

I read a thread yesterday that was discussing some changes (and major inconveniences) at the NOLA port recently. My group in *5* cars will be heading down there this coming Thursday (11th). I have been once before, but that was May 2003. When you pulled up to the port, there was a large, fenced in parking area right there at the terminal...within 50 yrds walking distance, as I remember. We were cruising the Holiday at that time, though, and this time we are cruising the Sensation (same or different terminal?). Since I live not far from NOLA, I have driven in that traffic several times in my life, and I know how hectic and crazy it is (give me Dallas anyday;-)). And with 4 other cars following, we need to have a *target*, so to speak....we can't really wander around aimlessly, looking for where to park and not lose each other. Can someone who's cruised the Sensation recently tell me what, in their opinion, is the best gameplan for us?

Thanks!

~Memrie

Dear Memrie

I know that Machu Picchu Travel services (or tours) offers the seventh day of parking free.....and they transfer the people to the terminal in a van or minibus. You could give them a call/email.......I parked three cars there. They were really great, they emailed me a map.......their email was bestofno@bellsouth.net I think that is your best bet if all of you want to stay together.

Thanks SO, SO much for all the input!!!! I have an aunt who lives in Slidell, and I'll forward the thread to her and let her be our guide (she used to work in downtown NOLA). I truly feel so much better about this armed with all the info!

Thanks!!!

~Memrie

The line to pay at the Cashier's window at Fulton St. was REALLY long when I was there on Oct. 4. I don't know how it was on 9/26 when we embarked. . . we took a cab straight from our hotel.

When we debarked, I picked up a Hertz rental car which we had reserved, right there at the Fulton St. lot. Then I drove back to the pier and picked up my two relatives who were waiting there with all our luggage.

I'm sure you could drop off people and luggage at the pier when arriving in New Orleans, too, then go over and park your car.

I have heard that the parking situation is really bad, and the closer lots cannot hold all the cruiser's cars.

Suzy

I have heard that the parking situation is really bad, and the closer lots cannot hold all the cruiser's cars.

Suzy, that's why the port authority is building a high-rise parking garage at the pier.;)

About the Whale Lot - it's actually much larger than the old port authority lot, and almost as close, BUT there are a lot of business folks who park there on a daily basis, not just cruise passengers.

As I mentioned above, yes you can drop off your passengers and luggage at the terminal, go park your car, and return.

Archived