Scenes of Cartagena- Very safe!

Pinkbikini

Just a note for anyone who is not certain whether it's safe to get off in Colombia... CARTAGENA is my favorite port that we've cruised to now. Wow. It was so beautiful. The people were friendly. Our guide was EXCELLENT (through the ship- we had Victor Mendez!). We are so glad we got off there and encourage others to do the same!

Here's the snippet from my review about it:

Cartagena- short lines to meet on the dock at 0900 for our Scenes of Cartagena tour. Quickly realized there was NOTHING but a Juan Valdez coffee stand at the port and lots of drivers to take people into town. We found our bus and visited San Felipe Fortress, San Pedro Claver church, La Popa Monastery and a folklore show with free “Aguila” beer all for $50! This was certainly the prettiest tour of our trip and the best value. We were not bothered by too many vendors. Best not to explain why you don’t want the purchase- just “no thank you” and keep moving. They’re salesmen and ended up arguing with many visitors who engaged them with any other response. ANYBODY you photograph costs money- the guy with the sloth, the girl with the burro, the lady with the fruit basket on her head. Be careful taking photos! Nov 11 is the region’s independence day and we enjoyed seeing them decorated for the next day’s festivities. WARNING: There was a 10 block walk so for anyone who cannot tolerate being in the sun for nearly an hour walking (it takes a long time to progress through the vendors and narrow streets) please reconsider this tour! At the shopping center Pierino Gallo I bought a coffee bean emerald at Joyeria Casa for $10 instead of the $30 requested by Mr. Emerald’s shop for the same size. Mine is gold plated instead of solid gold. This area has extremely aggressive vendors.

Just a note for anyone who is not certain whether it's safe to get off in Colombia... CARTAGENA is my favorite port that we've cruised to now. Wow. It was so beautiful. The people were friendly. Our guide was EXCELLENT (through the ship- we had Victor Mendez!). We are so glad we got off there and encourage others to do the same!

Cartagena- short lines to meet on the dock at 0900 for our Scenes of Cartagena tour. Quickly realized there was NOTHING but a Juan Valdez coffee stand at the port and lots of drivers to take people into town. We found our bus and visited San Felipe Fortress, San Pedro Claver church, La Popa Monastery and a folklore show with free “Aguila” beer all for $50! This was certainly the prettiest tour of our trip and the best value. We were not bothered by too many vendors. Best not to explain why you don’t want the purchase- just “no thank you” and keep moving. They’re salesmen and ended up arguing with many visitors who engaged them with any other response. ANYBODY you photograph costs money- the guy with the sloth, the girl with the burro, the lady with the fruit basket on her head. Be careful taking photos! Nov 11 is the region’s independence day and we enjoyed seeing them decorated for the next day’s festivities. WARNING: There was a 10 block walk so for anyone who cannot tolerate being in the sun for nearly an hour walking (it takes a long time to progress through the vendors and narrow streets) please reconsider this tour! At the shopping center Pierino Gallo I bought a coffee bean emerald at Joyeria Casa for $10 instead of the $30 requested by Mr. Emerald’s shop for the same size. Mine is gold plated instead of solid gold. This area has extremely aggressive vendors.

Thanks for the great review!

• 2 weeks later...
I've been pretty nervous about going to Cartagena next month. Just how hot is it there? Is it crowded? When you get off the ship, are there shops etc. right there in front of you?

Was in Cartagena last month on the Radiance. It was a pretty nice city, the main part of the city is pretty modern and the old city is pretty cool as it's built inside walls ala old San Juan. When you get off the ship and if you don't have a scheduled tour, then it'll be a short walk to a samll but very neat and clean shopping/cafe/bar facility where I found the prices to be reasonable and everything well laid out. It's set amongst trees and flora and is very nice and has great a/c! The walk is not that bad and they've got it laid out well.

Once there, there are many taxis to take you into town and most of them speak pretty good english. The town is working hard for the tourist dollars, so they are happy to please. Many very good resteraunts in the old town area.

I'd go back there as well as I'd love to head off to Rosario Island and do some scuba diving.

We are going there next feb. /09. we are there for only 5 hours ,

we will probably visit the shops near the docks. We don't feel

comfortable going into the city!!

Cartagena is not Medellin or Bogota or Cali - it's pretty Caribbean in it's nature. If you've got 5 hours, I'd take a taxi to the Old City - you won't regret it and there is nothing to be afraid of.

Was in Cartagena last month on the Radiance. It was a pretty nice city, the main part of the city is pretty modern and the old city is pretty cool as it's built inside walls ala old San Juan...

We really liked Old San Juan with its narrow streets, historic buildings and shops. We are very much looking forward to seeing the old city of Cartagena and the beautiful views of its surroundings.

DavidnSteph

"I've been pretty nervous about going to Cartagena next month. Just how hot is it there? Is it crowded? When you get off the ship, are there shops etc. right there in front of you?"

Re "Just how hot" you can find the current prediction here as well as seasonal predictions under the seasonal averages link. http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/80022.html

Hope this helps

"I've been pretty nervous about going to Cartagena next month. Just how hot is it there? Is it crowded? When you get off the ship, are there shops etc. right there in front of you?"

Re "Just how hot" you can find the current prediction here as well as seasonal predictions under the seasonal averages link. http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/80022.html

Hope this helps

My advice is to stay nervous! I'm serious. The vendors there are far worse than any we met in Ocho Rios to the point where I had to take my 6 year old granddaughter's hands in one of mine and put my other arm around her shoulders to get back to the bus. Vendors were in her face trying to sell her stuff and she was frightened. Once were were back in the bus, they were knocking on the windows trying to sell stuff. It was awful and this was a ship's tour!!! It was very hot and humid as to be expected this close to the equator. Yes, the monastary was beautiful and the guides were knowledgeable but I will never get off the ship again. At least in Ocho Rios, when you say "no thank you" they leave you alone.

My advice is to stay nervous! I'm serious. The vendors there are far worse than any we met in Ocho Rios to the point where I had to take my 6 year old granddaughter's hands in one of mine and put my other arm around her shoulders to get back to the bus. Vendors were in her face trying to sell her stuff and she was frightened. Once were were back in the bus, they were knocking on the windows trying to sell stuff. It was awful and this was a ship's tour!!! It was very hot and humid as to be expected this close to the equator. Yes, the monastary was beautiful and the guides were knowledgeable but I will never get off the ship again. At least in Ocho Rios, when you say "no thank you" they leave you alone.

I'm sorry for your experience. :eek: That's scary with a youngster in tow. I had the opposite experience - just smiled and said Gracias, no me gusta - meaning thanks, it doesn't please me. With a smile, that worked very well - I guess everyone's experience is different. Besides, who wants to fool with an old woman who could hit you with her cane?:D

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you walk? We are interested in the old part of the city and trying to decide between this tour and the walking tour. Did you see much of the old part of the city on this tour? Thanks.

...At the shopping center Pierino Gallo I bought a coffee bean emerald at Joyeria Casa for $10 instead of the $30 requested by Mr. Emerald’s shop for the same size. Mine is gold plated instead of solid gold. This area has extremely aggressive vendors.

I am curious, what is a "coffee bean emerald"?

It's either gold plate or 18 karat gold, the first being $10, the 2nd $30, it is the shape of a coffee bean, flat, with a score line down the center, and the more expensive one has a tiny faceted emerald authentic emerald. I didn't buy the cheaper version, but imagine it would look the same. I really like it, got mine at Lee Miles store! Nancie

I'm so sorry about your experience in Cartagena and I would warn you sincerely that if you ever think about a cruise in Asia that you are going to find the same thing in Shanghai, Saigon and, oddly enough, in one of the loveliest places with the most gentle people, Padang Bai, Indonesia - the vendors there are relentless, but a simple "no thank you" works, except in Shanghai - just give them the $10.00 and take the poorly made knock-offs (wallets, watches?) then you can get back on the bus $10.00 poorer but at least you are on your way back to the ship. Don't get me wrong - I had fun in all those places and would gladly do it again, although I would be much more strident with my "NO, thank you's" next time.

Okay, having said all that, I'm on my way to Cartagena and I thank all of you for your advice - I think I will definitely take the tour recommended and, believe me, I am ready for the vendors!

Pinkbikini, thank you - I especially appreciate all your information and all your warnings.

Valerie:D

• 4 weeks later...

We are just back from the 1/06/09 Coral Princess full transit and we did the "Best of Cartagena & Fortress" tour. We enjoyed the tour and felt 100% safe. I would have liked to have gone to the top of the Fortress but our guide only took us half way. We found the shopping time in the Old City a bit short but had lots of time to shop in the Central American ports so that really was not an isuue. Enjoy Cartagena, I am sure that we will be back some day.

We are just back from the 1/06/09 Coral Princess full transit and we did the "Best of Cartagena & Fortress" tour. We enjoyed the tour and felt 100% safe. I would have liked to have gone to the top of the Fortress but our guide only took us half way. We found the shopping time in the Old City a bit short but had lots of time to shop in the Central American ports so that really was not an isuue. Enjoy Cartagena, I am sure that we will be back some day.

Hi. We are doing the same tour in a couple of weeks. I was curious as to where the best place to get coffee is and approximately how much. We want to take a couple of pounds home to family members who drink it. Also, if anyone has a picture of the coffee bean pendant, I would enjoy taking a look.

Hi. We are doing the same tour in a couple of weeks. I was curious as to where the best place to get coffee is and approximately how much. We want to take a couple of pounds home to family members who drink it. Also, if anyone has a picture of the coffee bean pendant, I would enjoy taking a look.

Our guide to us to a vendor located just outside of the Naval museum...it wasn't quite a pound but it was $5 a bag and they had vanilla for $2 a bottle, 3 for $5. We are just starting to drink the coffee and not finding quite as robust as we like....but we like it strong with a bit of a burnt bean taste.

Are the shops by the ship or is Cartagena more like an industrial port? I was thinking about checking out Mr. Emerald but didn't want to have to take a taxi.

It's worth the taxi ride to Mr. Emerald's because he is located in an awesome shopping mall! Lots of fun shops, coffee, jewels, etc. I bought a gorgeous emerald pendant from Mr. Emeralds and just love it, get lots of compliments! Enjoy Columbia, we loved it. We also had a fabulous lunch at Olla Cartegena. Coconut shrimp and the best rice I have ever had, the flavor was to die for! Share the lunch, it is a lot of food! Enjoy! Nancie

Archived