New to NCL- had a few questions....

bertneyb521

Hi, I am new to CC and NCL. We are going on the 7 night cruise on the Dawn on 1-10-2009. I had a few questions for the experienced travelers :).....

-It will be our honeymoon, so are the romance packages worth the money? Or any other suggestions?

-What about shore excursions? I've heard mixed things about through NCL or going through a private company.

-Do they ever give upgrades for the cabins? When would they do that?

-And any other advice or must do things while we are on the ship would be great!

Thanks!

-Brittany

Hi, I am new to CC and NCL. We are going on the 7 night cruise on the Dawn on 1-10-2009. I had a few questions for the experienced travelers :).....

-It will be our honeymoon, so are the romance packages worth the money? Or any other suggestions? It is worth the money if you drink wine, eat fancy canapes and want to eat in one of the specialty restaurants. We only did this one time, 4 years ago. We did not care for the canapes at all. You will get one bottle of sparkling wine in your room and one bottle of regular wine at dinner in Le Bistro. There is a special cake party also with one free photo I believe. There is also an upgraded package that has other benefits like massages but it is considerably more expensive. I get massages at home a lot and I find it really hard to justify the prices on the ship. My masseuse comes to my house and charges me $40 for a one hour massage so I'm spoiled in that respect.

-What about shore excursions? I've heard mixed things about through NCL or going through a private company. We booked all of our excursions outside of the ship. We probably paid at least 50% less than we would have paid going through the ship. It's a matter of using your head and not planning something that might possibly not get you back in time before the ship sails. If there is something you want to do and the time is tight and the ship sells it also...then I would advise doing it through the ship, otherwise I would go out on your own.

-Do they ever give upgrades for the cabins? When would they do that? I think it happens but not all that often. There are also upsells where you get called or emailed right before you sail and they offer to sell you an upgrade for usually a greatly reduced cost. From all that I've read that doesn't happen all that often either. I would definitely book the cabin that you want and not take a chance on an upgrade or an upsell.

-And any other advice or must do things while we are on the ship would be great! I haven't sailed on the Dawn so someone who has can probably better answer this part of your question. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and have a wonderful honeymoon. :)

Thanks!

-Brittany

Kristy

-It will be our honeymoon, so are the romance packages worth the money? Or any other suggestions?

-What about shore excursions? I've heard mixed things about through NCL or going through a private company.

-And any other advice or must do things while we are on the ship would be great!

Thanks!

-Brittany

Hey Brittany.. Welcome to CC and to NCL and congrats on the wedding.

I can really only comment on your excursion question. As you have noticed you will get different opinions on here about that. We are in the group that almost will always book our excursions through NCL. Are they more expensive? Yes, almost always you will pay more when booking through NCL, as opposed to the private tours offered onshore. What you really have to ask yourself is this. What is peace of mind worth to you. The reason I say this is very simple. If you book through NCL and for some reason your excursion group is late getting back to the ship, the ship will be there waiting for you. If you go through a private tour and you are late the ship will be gone, and then it is up to you to get yourself to either the next port of call or back home. Either way, it is an expensive ordeal. For us, the few dollars (and yes, to us by the time you factor in the cost of every thing it is a few dollars) you spend booking through NCL is worth the peace of mind that we are covered and the ship will still be waiting there for us if we are late. Being able to enjoy our excursion fully and not having that fear with us makes it worth the extra money. How often does it happen that the private tour company is late?? Don't know and doesn't matter to us. Again, our peace of mind is worth the extra money.

EDIT: I did think of something else to comment on. Must do's while onboard. You MUST remember this is your vacation, this is your honeymoon and no one can take that away from you unless you let them. By that I mean if you run into a crew member who is having a bad day or a bad week and you don't get the service from them you think you should, it is up to you not to let that ruin your trip. I would tell you that no matter which cruiseline you are sailing on. We have had issues with every cruiseline we have sailed with and believe me, I will not let it ruin my trip. 8-)

Welcome to CC, Brittanny!

We have not sailed on the Dawn before-- but will echo the Romance package-- we have done the $79 two or three times-- it is well worth the money-- I think it is one of NCL's better deals!

We usually book our excursions outside of NCL-- but as others said-- if it is something you really want to do-- and the time is tight-- book with NCL to be on the safe side....

You will enjoy your honeymoon-- relax and have fun!:)

Hello,

I can't comment on packages, but I will comment on the excursion.

It all depends on if the ship is tendering, and how long you will be there, and how long the excursion is.

If the excursion is a 6, 7 hour or long thing and the ship is only there for 8... it would be better to book through the ship, because if your excursion is late and you did not book through the ship, you can be left, but if you book through the ship you won't be.

Now if you are somewhere like Cozumel and it's a 2, 4 hr excursion... you should be fine. I'm talking more like Belize... and don't forget to make sure you watch is set to local time as well.

Welcome Brittany!

We enjoy the "romance package"...and feel it is a good deal even tho I don't drink wine, my husband can enjoy wine with dinner a few evenings. Love the dipped strawberries!

As far as excursions...we've done both NCL and on our own...always made sure to be back in ample time for departure, but have seen passengers yelling and waving on the dock as the ship pulls away so that is something to be aware of.

We will be on the same cruise so join us on our roll call. Interesting group from all over signed up so far.

Linda

Thanks!

-Brittany

Welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome to cruising if this is a first for you, welcome to NCL either way:i

Romance package is certainly worth the money. It is one of my favorite gifts to give to my special clients..

If you are new to cruising I would stick with the cruise line tours even though I prefer private ones. After you have cruised a couple of times you will be more comfortable and able to handle your own. There are time tables to consider, what ports are the safest, what are the best, etc.

Upgrading is a tricky thing. The easiest way to get one, but this isn't a sure thing, watch to see if prices drop, it they do call and see if anything can be done. If you are using a travel agent ask his/her.

My advise, have a great cruise, expect the best, you will not be disappointed and make sure you eat in, at least one or 2 specialty dining rooms. They are worth the money, both in food and atmosphere plus service.

Nita

The link mentioned above will help.

As to booking excursion on your own. Everybody has their own opinion, but the biggest argument for using NCL is being left behind. I am sure it happens, but I sure have not heard people talking about it hardly ever in constant monitoring of these boards.

If there is a traffic issue, then ALL the tours would probably be caught up in it. Just give yourself a little cushion on time. We have done both and our better ones have always been private, not even taking into account the cost difference.

Hi Brittany, welcome to CC and best wishes on your wedding. You've picked a wonderful ship with a really nice itinerary.

---Yes. The romance package is a good deal.

---With regard to excursions, the advice already given is right on the mark. When we were newbie cruisers we always booked with the cruise line for peace of mind. Since then we've branched out on our own more often, especially if it's a repeat (or threepeat :D) visit to a given port. You'll be calling in Samana, Tortola & St.Thomas. While I can't advise you on Samana....while in Tortola you may want to spend the day on Jost Van Dyke (see link: http://www.b-v-i.com/JostVanDyke/default.htm) which is a ferry ride away & extremely romantic. Or, there's unbelievably gorgeous beaches & really neat caves at the Baths on Virgin Gorda, also a ferry ride away. Because you'll be in Tortola for a full day, rather than the half day that many cruises offer, in this case I wouldn't hesitate to strike out on your own.

In St.Thomas there's terrific shopping in Charlotte Amalie and magnificent beaches. The immediate world goes to Megan's Bay...which is a stunning beach, but way overcrowded. Less crowded, but just as beautiful, IMHO, is Sapphire Beach...about a 30-minute cab ride from Havensight (where you'll be docked). By the way, all of the big name stores in Charlotte Amalie have branches at Havensight...but Charlotte Amalie is alot more charming. A few more stunning beaches, easily accessible from St.Thomas, can be found on St.John...a few times we did catamaran excursions to beaches at St.John & they were terrific excursions.

---In all of my cruises I've never been upgraded even once! I don't think it happens all that often.

---Special things on the Dawn? Well, if you're in a balcony cabin...it's barely advertised...but you may have breakfast in Aqua. It was our favorite place for breakfast. Suite guests may breakfast in Cagneys! Also, go to the White Hot Party...it's a blast. Wii was alot more fun than I thought it would be. Best restaurants? IMHO they were LeBistro and Teppanyaki. At sailaway the best place to be is the Bimini Bar. And, last piece of advice, the Star Bar serves a great martini :D !!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hello,

Now if you are somewhere like Cozumel and it's a 2, 4 hr excursion... you should be fine. I'm talking more like Belize... and don't forget to make sure you watch is set to local time as well.

I think you meant ship's time which doesn't necessarily correspond to local time.

Try to make at least one of the martini or margerita clinics if you drink. We always have a great time at the martini clinics and have met some very nice people. Lots of fun!

Have a wonderful honeymoon and cruise!

Jackie

Congratulations on your wedding! We're newlyweds too; we got engaged on the Gem but didn't cruise for the HM.

I never saw the point in the romance package but I'm a wine snob & the included wines didn't interest me.

We took advantage of some 2 for 1 deals for the specialty restaurants.

Excursions are almost always cheaper & a little better if you book independently but keep an eye on the time. You don't want to miss the ship.

If you haven't already joined your cc meet & greet for the roll call, do so. When you go to the meeting, make sure the crew / staff know it's your HM. We got all sorts of special congratulations including champagne & dinner at Teppenaki when we got engaged on board so you never know.

Thanks!

-Brittany

hi brittany like linda (cross sticher) we're on the same sailing as you. congrats on your wedding. you should have a great time on board.

come accross to the roll call section and introduce yourselves. you'll get a feeling for what people are doing on the excursion front.

davy

Congrats and enjoy your cruise.

When we were on that cruise last year we booked the Cayo Levantado excursion in Samana through NCL. We picked that excursion because it is a tendered port and sounds less developed. We just felt more secure. We ended up missing the port due to weather so I don't know if it was a good call or not.

In Tortola we used Speedy's ferry service http://www.speedysbvi.com/ to get to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. Their deal included ferry, taxi, and lunch. About 1/2 the price of NCL's. Just watch the clock and catch that last ferry back.

Archived