Taxi from Valparaiso Port to Santiago Airport

cruizinwithkids

A friend of mine is currently on the Norwegian Sun. The scheduled time to dock is Sunday Nov. 23 at 8AM. He has a flight from Santiago to Buenas Aires at 1:40. Express debarkation is supposed to happen at 8:20.

I advised him not to do this, but since he is can anyone offer advice to make it happen? Can he call a taxi as he waits to debark? Will there be taxis waiting? Can any suggest a tour company that will do a quick transportation. There are three of them doing this so the cost would be split among the three.

I believe there are two ships that will be in port. Will taxis be lined up waiting for people? Will they be willing to go to the airport in Santiago? How much will it cost.

Any info/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine is currently on the Norwegian Sun. The scheduled time to dock is Sunday Nov. 23 at 8AM. He has a flight from Santiago to Buenas Aires at 1:40. Express debarkation is supposed to happen at 8:20.

I advised him not to do this, but since he is can anyone offer advice to make it happen? Can he call a taxi as he waits to debark? Will there be taxis waiting? Can any suggest a tour company that will do a quick transportation. There are three of them doing this so the cost would be split among the three.

I believe there are two ships that will be in port. Will taxis be lined up waiting for people? Will they be willing to go to the airport in Santiago? How much will it cost.

Any info/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wow!!! They couldn't have pushed it much closer. Normally need 3 hours to check in for most South American flights. Not only do you have check in (which is a LOOOOONG drawn out affair in South America) but you have departure tax to pay PLUS security.

They will just have to find a taxi (which are OUTSIDE the port gates) and hopefully be able to negotiate a rate to Santiago (does anybody speak Spanish???). Expect to pay AT LEAST $125.00.

OR rent a car-Advantage rent a car-bookable online (if there are cars available for your date). About $100.00, easy drive, about 2 hours to the airport, toll road-need Chilean pesos for the toll. Drop off car at airport. Find a taxi to get to the rent a car place-about 3-5 miles away-$15.00 cab fare

Or contact one of MANY tour agencies. Most are probably booked at this late date.

I find it astounding your friend made NO plans regarding how to get to the airport. You are not in Kansas, Toto!!!! The port is a long ways from the airport, there is a language barrier, and you are in South America, where the predominate attitude is "there is always manana". What were they thinking???? Good luck!!!

I find it astounding your friend made NO plans regarding how to get to the airport. You are not in Kansas, Toto!!!! The port is a long ways from the airport, there is a language barrier, and you are in South America, where the predominate attitude is "there is always manana". What were they thinking???? Good luck!!!

Yeah, I think it's called being young and carefree. I don't think he's worried a bit. But that's OK because I'm worried enough for him and me as I sit at my desk working.:)

Hi there,

Let me share some info. I actually work inside the Valparaiso cruise terminal at a communications center set up to assist the crew (a seaman's center) from the ships. When not in Valparaiso I actually work onboard Celebrity Ships in the Technical entertainment department. I AM NOT SELLING OR WORKING WITH ANY TOUR AGENCIES OR SERVICES.

This coming sunday will be the first busy day in the terminal as there will be two ships, the NCL Sun and RCL Radiance in for the first time this season.

There are services like in all terminals around the world inside inluding taxis. to see some images you can visit the terminals website with helpful city links at www.vtp.cl

Outside there are taxis, however they (the terminal) are quite deligent at chasing them off and down the access road by 1/2 block.

There is a car rental company inside and a helpful desk from each of the two cities Valparaiso and Viña del Mar typically staffed by two students studying tourism who seak some english. Inside the terminal english is fluently spoken. Outside...well...have fun!

There is even the bus company Tur Bus (like Greyhound) a short 5 block walk away for the healthy and adventurous. Then a transfer will be about $4,000 pesos per person to Santiago. Or stop on the side of the highway ( a scheduled stop) where taxis direct to the airport are waiting for another $5,000 pesos (flat fee). They only take -I think- two pieces of luggage per person, so if you have more they may be issues, not just additional fees.

We have local phones anyone is welcome to use (for a few local coins) and then you or your friends can pick up whatever local inexpensive services they may have contact numbers for.

We typically are assisting passengers who have pre-booked cars and are having a hard time finding a person standing around at the exit with their name on a presentation card. Usually the person in question is at a different door waiting.

Any direct questions I am more than pleased to help.

Again may I point out I am in the terminal assisting CREW from the ships, but I don't mind offering news and helpful tid-bits to any travellers. But I am not an agent, I hope that sits ok with the management of this chat board.

Enjoy your vacations!

Jamie in Chile

seacard on facebook

and you are in South America, where the predominate attitude is "there is always manana". What were they thinking???? Good luck!!!

that bad words to refer to the Chilean people....!!!!!!

Certainly didn't mean to offend. But I do a lot of business in Chile (fresh fruit and wine shipping) and my business associates IN CHILE are always putting things off. When I ask why, I am repeatedly told, "we will get to it later."

I find this attitude predominates in a lot of Latin/South America.

To:

Jamie in Chile and anyone else that might know:

Thanks for the info on Valprasio. Could you or any one else answer this.

I will be renting a car in Valprasio and driving around and sightseeing on my own and then going to Santiago and the Andes and then to the airport 2 days later. Is there tourist information and maps available at easy to find locations? I find the maps on the internet not very detailed.

Thanks for any advice on this, Rick

Archived