First Time Cruiser, Cabin and other questions on the Legend

byhwong

Hi All,

First of all, english is my second language, please excuse me for any grammars or sentence structure mistake...

I am very excited to my first cruise experience on the Legend at Jan 04. I have a few questions regarding cabin and other things, please help me to have a smooth and worry free cruise.

I have originally booked an inside Carnival assigned room, and got allocated an ocean view cabin on 5a main deck. The Carnival website indicated that this is a fully obstructed view cabin feature french door, and there are no pictures shown. Have any one been on this type of ocean view cabin? How obstruct the view is? Are you still able to see a little bit of ocean? And can the french door be open to the outside? I am already happy because it is a free upgrade, but just wanted to know how the room is like. Thanks.

Also I have a few other questions below:

1) This cruise start on Tampa port. Does that mean that all the time indicated on the itinerary is Tampa time zone? Or they are adjusted to the visiting port time zone?

2) I am planning to take tour from the local company, not Carnival. And I read a lot about you need to get first tender, how can you get the first tender?

2) Is the water on the cruise drinkable? Do I need to bring or buy bottles of water to drink there?

I am sure my questions as been ask a lot of times...but please help. Thank you very much.

The 5As have a lovely view of....the lifeboats. You won't see much else but a lifeboat and some water. That being said, I love them. You can open the doors and get fresh air and listen to the waves.

The cruise will be on Tampa time the whole time, so be sure to keep your watches on ship time as opposed to local time.

Do you need to take the first tender in Belize? In GC it's barely a problem. However, in Belize be down in the main show lounge EARLY to pick up your number. They call all the people off by number/color/something. I remember we got off the boat before the Carnival cave-tubing people, the key is to make sure you are down in the lounge at like 7 AM or whenever they start to tell people to come down. I had to go up to the stage and pick up my number.

Thanks for the promot response, very helpful.

So for the tedering process, they will not call the people taking the carnival tour to tender first? Is all first come first serve? As long as you are down there early, you'll get on the first tender?

Thanks for the promot response, very helpful.

So for the tedering process, they will not call the people taking the carnival tour to tender first? Is all first come first serve? As long as you are down there early, you'll get on the first tender?

maybe to the shore. I don't know. They called a number of different Carnival tour's before they called some of those who were doing an independent tour. We still got off the boat within the first 30 minutes of people leaving, and were the first people with a non-Carnival tour off the boat. We got called before the Carnival cave-tubers I can tell you that. I had plans to go cave tubing with Cavetubing dot com. We were the first ones out to the park. I think they had a later bus with everybody else.

I don't know if it was something they were just trying on our cruise or what. It was interesting though. Talk to the purser's desk about the process, explain that you have to be on one of the first tendors, and that you have a private excursion, they're pretty understanding. Just tell them you want instructions as to what to do.

I have originally booked an inside Carnival assigned room, and got allocated an ocean view cabin on 5a main deck. The Carnival website indicated that this is a fully obstructed view cabin feature french door, and there are no pictures shown. Have any one been on this type of ocean view cabin? How obstruct the view is? Are you still able to see a little bit of ocean? And can the french door be open to the outside? I am already happy because it is a free upgrade, but just wanted to know how the room is like. Thanks.

Also I have a few other questions below:

1) This cruise start on Tampa port. Does that mean that all the time indicated on the itinerary is Tampa time zone? Or they are adjusted to the visiting port time zone?

2) I am planning to take tour from the local company, not Carnival. And I read a lot about you need to get first tender, how can you get the first tender?

2) Is the water on the cruise drinkable? Do I need to bring or buy bottles of water to drink there?

I am sure my questions as been ask a lot of times...but please help. Thank you very much.

Your obstructed view - french doors - are the LIFEBOATS. Some obstructed views are worse than others depending on where they are located and where the lifeboats are. You may be between life boats and have a spectacular "nearly-unobstructed" view...

1. Tampa Time Zone - Dont worry about the times...Just stay on SHIP TIME - and you'll be just dandy.

2. If you need to get off the first tender, than get off the first tender. Do not let CARNIVAL tell you that because you didnt book with them that you will have to wait until everyone else gets off - Simply go to the Theater EARLY and they will instruct you where to go if you have a "NON-CARNIVAL" excursion. Make sure and print off and bring your receipt with you. We got off the first tender in Belize for Major Tom - no problem. And the tender was nearly EMPTY!!

3. The water is fine (tastes great; less filling) - Although, if you bring a couple of water bottles with you, you can refill it on the ship. If you buy a bottle of water on the ship...OUCH!! EXPENSIVE!!

Have fun - i'm jealous!

The 5a cabin is a nice upgrade. You will be able to get some natural light and some fresh air. The french doors do open, although we found they didn't fully open because the bed was in the way. There is a bar across the door on the outside. Most of the 5A cabins are fully obstructed with a lifeboat, but a few of the 5a cabins are a little less obstructed than the others. These are the ones that are "between" the lifeboats. You get a little bit of a view from these. I had cabin 4140 a couple of years ago which was one the less obstructed cabins. You can look at the deck plans on the Carnival website to determine whether your cabin is one of these.

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=LE

Here are a couple of pictures of cabin 4140 on the Legend. In the second one you can see the little bit of a view and the bar outside the french door.

P1010305.jpg

P1010309.jpg

The water on the ship is drinkable and I have always thought it tasted fine. You may bring on bottled water if you would rather drink it, though.

Carnival allows you to bring on a reasonable amount of bottled water or soft drinks.

The Legend is a good choice for a first cruise! She is a beautiful ship and has a great crew! Have a wonderful cruise and when you return you'll be as hooked as the rest of us here are!

byhwong ~ Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You have gotten a very nice upgrade. Even if you end up with a totally obstructed view and can't see anything but the lifeboat, it's still very nice to have a window and some light coming in.

I've had an inside cabin and it was fine, but I like oceanview MUCH better. Yours is different than oceanview, but at the very least it will let in some light. Maybe you'll luck out and get between the lifeboats and have a nice view of the ocean. Good luck!

Have a wonderful cruise. :)

Archived