HAL Veendam Cruisetour #18

NeilFan

We've booked this tour for 8/10/09. Now we're discovering the complexities of air fare into Fairbanks and back from Vancouver. We're from South Dakota so no hub airports closer than Minneapolis or Denver. Hoping my TA is on top of things, and I monitor the ITA site daily hoping to see a decrease in fares.

If anyone is familiar with this particular cruisetour, what kind of free time does one have in Fairbanks, Denali, and Seward? This tour was our choice because it includes Seward/Kenai Fjords tour and the TWT. Will those excursions be in the am or pm?

We're thinking of flying to Fairbanks a day early to reduce the stress level on ourselves. If we can't get the Westmark is there a reasonable hotel nearby that we could bunk at the night we arrive? I'm assuming they put us up at the Westmark the first two nights of the tour.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rene

My wife and I are book on the same cruisetour, HAL 18, but for June 1, 09.

If you look at the Shore excursion page for booked passengers, at Denali, see when tours are being offered. They dont offer tour while the group is on the TWT, so that should give you an idea. Or just call HAL

We have booked a few excusions through HAL, but mostly indepentant.

Would love to compare notes.

As far as airfare goes, I'm no help there. Im in Dallas, so connections not a problem, had to fly first class to be able to use my FF miles though. I havent told my wife this yet, she will like the luxury.

I have read, that you dont want HAL to do your airfare. There have been some horron stories on there about people getting in so late that then had no sleep to start the tour.

Im getting in at 8:05pm, so not to bad.

This tour has plenty of free time, except in Fairbanks. I highly recommend getting into Fairbanks at least a day early, a car rental is necessary in my opinion. There is plenty to see and do. http://www.explorefairbanks.com

TWT will be scheduled for you. They run many different timed trips.

What is "complex" about your air??? If, you aren't, look at the multi city option on booking sites. At this time, you are probably better off getting your booking now, fares probably aren't going to go any lower.

BQ - the complexities are the price, of course, and the connections on the lower priced fares -- long layovers, red eyes, etc. The "good" connections are the pricey ones. I am monitoring ITA multi-city flights, and can see the itineraries and prices, but they encourage going to a travel agent for booking because it involves multiple airlines, etc. There are two couples involved so it's easier using a TA rather than one of us having to be responsible for the air expense.

Is it common for long layovers (5-8 hours) in Seattle both coming and going?

Yes, NWA has very good connections from Sioux Falls/Minneapolis/Fairbanks and from Vancouver/Seattle/Minneapolis/Sioux Falls. We want to wait and see how the flights change when Delta and NWA gets their new schedules in place. Just talked with my TA this morning.

I know you recommend booking car rentals ahead, but we're not positive about the pre-day in Fairbanks. Is it possible to book a car at the last minute for one day out of Fairbanks? Same question for Haines?

Yes, NWA has very good connections from Sioux Falls/Minneapolis/Fairbanks and from Vancouver/Seattle/Minneapolis/Sioux Falls. We want to wait and see how the flights change when Delta and NWA gets their new schedules in place. Just talked with my TA this morning.

I know you recommend booking car rentals ahead, but we're not positive about the pre-day in Fairbanks. Is it possible to book a car at the last minute for one day out of Fairbanks? Same question for Haines?

Car rentals rarely require any deposits, and are very easy to cancel. I still only recommend having advance reservations in place.

The merger won't be in place when you travel 8/09, it's a year out at this time. You are traveling at peak time for Alaska, prices are probably only going to be going up and availablity more limited. You may want advice from Greatam on this one, on the option of "waiting"???

My DH and I did HAL cruisetour #20 this past July. I didn't want us to have to arrive in Fairbanks tired and then start our tour so we flew to Seattle for a couple days first. Alaska Air has direct flights to Fairbanks from Seattle and our jetlag was over by then. We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Fairbanks when we arrived late at night. The next day we transferred over to the Westmark to start our cruisetour.

Our TWT was at 5:30 AM. Most of them started pretty early. We got up at 4 AM so as to get breakfast and stuff but it was light out so it could have been 4 pm for all we could tell. We saw lots of animals and the TWT was fantastic but don't expect lunch. They give you a very sad snack on the bus. The restaurant sells bag lunch at breakfast and I suggest you buy one.

How about bag lunches on the Alaska railroad? The dining menus look great -- should at least try dining with them for the experience -- but would you recommend having some food packed? We go from Fairbanks to Denali one day and then from Denali to Seward two days later. Guess it depends on how long and what hours these trips would be. I'll check the itinerary on HAL's site for times. Do the motor coaches stop frequently and would there be available snacks at their stops? I'm sure it's a hassle with that many people getting off a bus.

How about bag lunches on the Alaska railroad? The dining menus look great -- should at least try dining with them for the experience -- but would you recommend having some food packed? We go from Fairbanks to Denali one day and then from Denali to Seward two days later. Guess it depends on how long and what hours these trips would be. I'll check the itinerary on HAL's site for times. Do the motor coaches stop frequently and would there be available snacks at their stops? I'm sure it's a hassle with that many people getting off a bus.

We were on this tour, just a different ship, this past September.

First, when you are traveling by rail you will be in a HAL owned railcar that is pulled by Alaska RR engines. They are wonderful. There is food service available on the lower level of each car for a charge. You will never be on an Alaska RR car during the whole trip.

There is an option to purchase a bag lunch the day you go from Fairbanks to Denali. This option is a good one if you have booked an excursion that leaves shortly after you arrive in Denali.

When you are on a coach you will find them comfortable. They do stop frequently and there will always be some sort of food available for purchase, not to mention other items tourists are apt to want to purchase. The stops are always long enough for everyone who wants to get off and stretch their legs. The coaches hold about 44 people.

Archived