Advice- How soon to book shore excursions?

Frazfamof4

I am new to cruising and we are sailing to Alaska in May... we have two children traveling with us so we are somewhat limited in what shore excursions we book. As a family, we've decided what to do, but am not sure if 6 months out is too far away to book.

We're looking at the Sea Otter Adventure which I hear is popular and the gold mining expedition in Juneau. I think those are the only two I'm really worried about and have more flexibility elsewhere.

Thanks for your advice!

Denise

From what I have read on here, and other bits and pieces gathered, if you are planning on booking with independant tours, its just whatever their rules are, I have read some are already starting to fill up for next summer. Like Harv and Marv whale watching in Juneau. If you are booking thru your cruise line, they will have a set time that you can start to book. Carnival is 120 days, and that is February for me. Everyone says book early, that Alaska is not like the Carribean where you can decide at the last minute, in port, because Alaska tours fill up early, and you may be dissappointed. Keep reading on the boards here. You will be able to learn so very much, and have all your questions answered. Mine are only based on what I have read, because I have not cruised Alaska yet!!

I would book as soon as your cruiseline allows you to, you can do so right online. The most popular tours will book up months before your cruise departure. Definitely DO NOT wait until you are onboard the ship, because nothing interesting is honestly left, and the lines are SUPER LONG on the ship for excursions, especially at the beginning of the week.

If you really want these excursions, I say...go for it! Book ASAP so your cruise experience is everything you want it to be!

I am new to cruising and we are sailing to Alaska in May... we have two children traveling with us so we are somewhat limited in what shore excursions we book. As a family, we've decided what to do, but am not sure if 6 months out is too far away to book.

We're looking at the Sea Otter Adventure which I hear is popular and the gold mining expedition in Juneau. I think those are the only two I'm really worried about and have more flexibility elsewhere.

Thanks for your advice!

Denise

Hi Denise, I agree with the above! If these are shore excursions through the ship you should book them ASAP (generally 120 days out, but often less).

Most shore excursions are cancelable & refundable, but not all. Be sure to check this out and only book the one's you're sure you're going to do if they're not refundable!

Have a wonderful cruise with your family,

Do it as soon as possible for ship excursions, and also do it asap for independent excursions as well. We've been to Alaska twice - last time in June 2008, two couples with our group waited to book the 4 X 4 excursion in Sitka, and were waitlisted. Fortunately, our wonderful TA was able to finagle something and get them an afternoon tour, while the rest went on the morning tour. But atleast they got to go - it was the ONE excursion they all really wanted to do, so it worked out in the end. But I would recommend not waiting any longer than necessary.

Book through the ship as soon as they allow and most alaska independants are booking now....we have 4 stops in May and I have all my tours already booked.

Check the cancellation policies in case you find something else you would rather do between now and then.

Thanks for your advice!

Denise

Hi, Denise. If you know which excursions you want to do, I would book them as soon as possible. Since the excursions have a limited number of spaces to book, most of the popular ones will fill up.

On our 6 cruises to Alaska, we have seen many unhappy people who waited until they were onboard the ship to book their excursions only to find the excursion they wanted was already full.

For our cruise to Alaska next May, we have already booked excursions in Juneau & Ketchikan and reserved a car from Avis for Skagway.

Don't know how other cruiselines deal with payment for excursions but NCL charge all shore excursions to your onboard account so, even although you book them now, you don't pay for them until the end of your cruise.

Only a suggestion, but in Sitka, it is superior to go with an independent on the boat tours, IF puffins are a priority to see. You can NOT count on viewing them with the ship tour, since they don't always go to St. Lazaria. With an independent, you can state this is where you want to go, and they will tell you if they will.

There are some recommendations of vendors from first hand users, if you need them.

Archived