Beware of the bread on Dawn Princess

jenphan

I was having lunch in the Venetian ... our waiter brought us some bread. I hate eating the outside of breads because they are hard. So my boyfriend ate one and took the insides of the other three bread for me. He took the bread from the bottom of the bun. Our waiter took our bread away. Then gave a bread basket to another couple sitting next to us, I remember there were only three breads left, and they had 4. My boyfriend suspected that they have our old bread ... we waited for that couple to eat bread with their soup, so I could prove that it wasn't our bread. The first bread has the still had its insides ... But when the man broke his bread the insides were missing ... along with the other 2 buns. Since then I incident I did eat anymore bread on Princess ... has anyone had this experience or similar to it?

So out of curiosity why did your boyfriend replace the bread back into the bread basket. It is usually customary that once you have touched a food it remains on your plate. Yes it was wrong that the waiter recycled your "used" bread but I am sure he assumed it hadn't been touched.

i'm not sure why he put the bread back into the basket. probably because its a lot of bread and we didn't have a plate to put it on. the assumption that the bread was probably not touched is still not a valid reason to reuse the bread. people can still touch other breads while picking up their own or touch it and decide against eating the bread.

by the way we were 18 - 19 at that time ... teens our age don't always understand what is and is not customary. but its funny ... i have tore off pieces of bread before and put it back into the basket. never thought it was customary to keep it on my plate. i'll try to keep that in mind if i have bread again

it was not intended for anyone else to eat it ... i was eating it with my boyfriend not anyone else. i am amazed by the fact that people focus on the sharing the bread and keeping it in the basket than the fact that waiters reuse your bread! think of the bigger picture. its not like i'm throwing my bread back into a basket while sharing it with other people at my table ... breads should be thrown out anyways.

this is a free forum ... and you dont have to read it or make any comment .. i am stating an experience i have had ... in case you havent noticed ... many people should be warned of things that have happened to them. and hopefully princess will notify their waiters to toss out old bread ... you state its something i did ... rather than highlighting the fact that the waiter did this... you state its a simple rule ... but it isnt so simple is it. if its something so gross then stop lingering over my post ... its not geared towards you. it already happened so get over it. its not like i did it with the understanding that the waiter would recycle my bread.

Jeez...

A) Food should never be thrown away!!!!

B) I used to work in the hospitality industry and I can't recall a time that untouched bread wouldn't be re-used in basket settings. Those individual rolls are expensive! This was true for my time in nationally known mid & upper scale chains as well as independent properties.

If you are grossed out by this episode, you might as well never go out for dinner ever again. What goes on in a commercial dining establishment (any!!!) would stun you. Try reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential... LOL!

sorry people. But i agree that once food has left a kitchen it should NEVER be recycled unless it is in it's own protective case IE: individual jellies, syrups, butters, etc. But if food is not in a protective covering it is actually against health code violations to re-serve those items.

If ships are concerned about stopping roto-virus, you need to follow that through with not only the hand sanitizing, but not recycling food. To post about this is not gross...to recycle is.

when i worked in restaurants so many years ago we were told that anything that went on a table had to be tossed, you couldn't take it to another table. you don't know if people had touched it and that was back in the 80s. now you'd have to worry what other things people might do to it!!

so i am surprised! i thought that's why so many things- butter, jelly etc- come individual now

i have seen people put spoon into jelly jars and i know those go back on tables!

I think they ahould serve the bread with tongs-just point to the pieces you want. A couple of the more recent cruises I was on did this. I HATE wasted food, so it bugs me a whole basket is put out and I may eat only one piece or none and the rest is thrown away. But nor do I want bread that some other table has pawed all over with unwashed hands.

I was at a family style restaurant in Pennsylvania. The lady sitting beside me picked up a piece of chicken, ripped off some of the meat and put the rest back on the plate, that we were all supposed to be sharing. That was disgusting and to think a waiter did that is disgusting.

I think I would rather not know what goes on behind the scenes at a restaurant or I would never eat out again.

Archived