Hand Sanitizer

San Diego Ellie

When I was on Carnival Spirit April of 2006, no hand sanitizer was dispensed at the entrance to the main dining room, buffet, or any other areas. Has this changed, and is it now in use at these and other locations? Thanks to any recent Carnival cruisers for a response.

No, its not.

I haven't seen it... and I'm actually sort of glad... I think it gives people a false sense of security, thinking they won't get noro if they use hand sanitizer and I think too many use it in lieu of washing their hands... I do think they should have big signs everywhere telling people to wash their durn hands... I saw some nasty people on our last cruise :p I think at least if some see a sign they may be reminded...

When I was on Carnival Spirit April of 2006, no hand sanitizer was dispensed at the entrance to the main dining room, buffet, or any other areas. Has this changed, and is it now in use at these and other locations? Thanks to any recent Carnival cruisers for a response.

No, I've not seen them at all this year on Fascination, Triumph or Glory. I carry a travel size in my bag with me.

Hand sanitizers have no effect on norovirus....so best thing is frequent handwashing with soap and water.

The sanitizer is normally used when soap and water aren't available...it's better than nothing. .. but won't prevent or kill viruses.

They apparently added hand sanitizer to the Triumph during dry dock...although I saw very few individuals using it.

Thats the issue, even if they have it, they cant make people use it. Also as mentioned it has no effect on norovirus.

It put on ships to give people a feeling that the cruiselines are being proactive..but in the end the people that dont wash their hands probably wouldnt use hand sanitizer.

I wasn't done with my last post....:rolleyes:

Anyway, when I don't have the sanitiser, I always have my individually wrapped Wet Ones whether I'm on a cruise or not. I use those for everything but most often it's to clean the handles on grocery carts. It seems I always end up with one that has had some serious candy activity.

We were on the Glory last week and they had hand sanitizer at every single buffet line, including the grill. I did not notice any at the dining rooms. Above all the dispensers, there were signs informing people that hand sanitizer is not a substitute for hand washing, just an extra measure.

They had it hand santitizers on my Freedom TranAtlantic cruise. But then again they were pretty paranoid that trip and didn't even have out snacks in the bars.

But I did watch a guy rub his hands all over the hand sanitizer (I think he was trying to milk it like a cow!) and didn't want to touch them after that.

Thats the issue, even if they have it, they cant make people use it. Also as mentioned it has no effect on norovirus.

It put on ships to give people a feeling that the cruiselines are being proactive..but in the end the people that dont wash their hands probably wouldnt use hand sanitizer.

On our last cruise on NCL Jewel, the crew would stand at the enterences of every eatery and squirt some one your hand as you walk in. Not that it helped but they were trying to be proactive

I remember seeing them all over when I was on the NCL Spirit. I didn't see any at all on the CCL Miracle this past summer. I will look on the RCCL Explorer when I cruise next month.

Its my feeling that most people are consistent with cleaning their hands before they eat and they follow that ritual throughout their life. (Home, Work, Vacation) Unfortunately for the few cruisers who do not practice good hygiene (oral, personal, etc) places others in danger of illness (norovirus, gastroenteritis, etc.) If only everyone would make a concerted effort to be on their best behavior (washing their hands before they eat and after they use the restroom when cruising) would eliminate most of our worries.

I know I am preaching, sorry. I am still in mommy-mode:p

Its my feeling that most people are consistent with cleaning their hands before they eat and they follow that ritual throughout their life. (Home, Work, Vacation) Unfortunately for the few cruisers who do not practice good hygiene (oral, personal, etc) places others in danger of illness (norovirus, gastroenteritis, etc.) If only everyone would make a concerted effort to be on their best behavior (washing their hands before they eat and after they use the restroom when cruising) would eliminate most of our worries.

I know I am preaching, sorry. I am still in mommy-mode:p

Sadly the majority of men, I have seen on cruises and on land, rarely wash their hands when leaving the bathroom, so its doubtful they would wash before eating. It really shocking to see:eek:

Thanks for all the responses. it is interesting that this turned into a philosphical debate for some. One thing to note though, as far as any other illness being passed on. I know that hand sanitizer is not effective against noro, but many, many people, and almost all kids, do not wash their hands for the required 15 or 20 seconds that make handwashing effective.

Carnival Splendor has the dispensers in multiple locations throughout the ship. In fact there's one about fifteen feet away from me right now in the Internet Room. All are accompanied by a sign advising that it's not good alone - - should be used in tandem w/ quality hand washing.

Archived