Cruise Value Closes Down..Keeps Money

lucybanes

I checked with the insurance company and was told "no way." If it were a cruise line going under they would pay, but not a travel agency. I got a letter from the owners (Smith Bros.) and it said to contact the insurance company.....just another delay on their part.

Well I put in a dispute with the cc company on tuesday and today the creidt showed up :D:)

Penny

Keep track of that: the cc company will usually issue a 'temporary credit' until both sides have submitted their information (they have a number of days to respond) I have had the cc company take the credit back because they did not agree with my argument.

Keep track of that: the cc company will usually issue a 'temporary credit' until both sides have submitted their information (they have a number of days to respond) I have had the cc company take the credit back because they did not agree with my argument.

Yep, thats whay my SIL's bank told her. They would issue a "temporary" credit, however, they might take it back, if there is no money to get from CVC..

I have done the same thing and heard nothing from the Attorney General. Who did you file a police report with? I called the police department and they knew nothing about this situation! They seemed interested in what was going on and asked that I file a report here where I live and then the Michigan police would call my local to varify. I call the Smith boys at least once a week to let them know what I think. They sent me a copy of a letter they sent out to their customers....what a joke!

Lucy, they are still picking up their phone? I called the Michigan AG office last Wednesday and was told they can not find them.:confused: Maybe you should give the AG Consumer Protection department the phone numbers since it sounds like they need assistance.

I called the New Jersey DA.... Actually, I went to the website, and there is a page to file a report. Then you have to send copies of everything to them. They emailed me back and said they were forwarding to the proper department... It is a start!

Actually, it can happen when you pay the company directly too. We paid Vanguard thousands of dollars for a trip and they also went belly up - in todays world, you never know!

IF you mean Vanguard, the airline-travel insurance would have paid off and you would have been reimbursed in full. Travel insurance pays off when SUPPLIERS (airlines, hotels, cruise lines, etc., etc. ) go out of business/file bankruptcy.

We saved our money for SO long to go on a cruise (my boyfriend's first) and then he broke his leg last March so that meant no vacation and no more vacation money (it all went to pay for the metal in his leg now). Finally, we just booked a cruise last week, through the cruise line directly THANK GOODNESS but I can't imagine if we had gone through CVC. Thankfully, my Dad has warned me about them! I'm so sorry for everyone that is getting the short end of the stick.

• 1 month later...

The company that provided "Travel Protection" for Cruise Value Center and Cruises of Distinction, Prime Travel Protection, also shut down this week. It makes you wonder if one caused the other. If I owned a Travel Agency that sold the dubious non-insurance product, I'd start to worry.

When booking with a TA for a cruise, the TA should forward your credit card info directly to the cruise lines. You should be able to, within several days, either view your credit card transactions on-line or call your credit card company to hear the most recent transactions verbally. I always do that on-line. Last week it saved me from a possible loss of my deposit and/or reservation. When my final payment didn't show up on-line with my credit card co. after 3 days, I contacted my TA and found they had the wrong expiration date listed and it wasn't being processed. Final payment was due the next day and they expedited my final payment. If I hadn't checked my credit card transactions on-line, I was told by the cruise line that I could possibly have lost my deposit and/or reservation.

I work with a Travel Agent and every cruise I've taken, the charge is directly from the cruise line (ie, it doesn't say the travel agency as the charge, but the cruiseline). I have the safety of knowing that my cruise isn't in jeopardy and the bonus of better pricing and personalized service. He's always available by phone/email. Works from his home, so has no overhead and very likely will not succumb to the economy.

What surprises me is that I live near CVC and as recently as 2-3 weeks ago, I saw activity in the offices (I didn't pass directly in front but it was right off the highway and had an "open" appearance with all the lights on). Had I not known about things from here, I might even have stopped in to "window shop" (even though I know nobody beats my TA's prices..........I've spot checked every one, and even if I did find something slightly lower, he meets or beats it!).

Good luck to all of you still disputing the charges.

Had I not known about things from here, I might even have stopped in to "window shop" (even though I know nobody beats my TA's prices..........I've spot checked every one, and even if I did find something slightly lower, he meets or beats it!).

Do you you an online agency?

Archived