Babysitters on first night?

esbie11

I know that babysitting services are available, but are they available on the first night of the cruise? We are taking our family and friends with us on our wedding cruise and wanted to have a "Welcome Dinner" in Portofino's on the very first night. There will be one child in our group, who will be 3.5 years old. I know that children are not allowed in the restaurant, and to be honest he is not well-behaved in dining situations so I wouldn't want him there anyway since the dinner is lengthy. Do you think the parents would be able to get a babysitter for a 7pm dinner on the first night? (We will be on Explorer if that makes a difference)

I know this does not answer your question and yes, I know I am being a buttinski... BUT...I would really recommend postponing your dinner until another night. At 3.5 years old a child should probably not be left with a babysitter on the first night of a cruise. He/she will probably already be tired, possible cranky and trying to adjust to the new environment of being on a cruise ship and away from familiar surroundings. Just something to think about from a parent of twin 4 year olds who went on the first cruise at 3 years old.

NEW INFO...

Actually, I just looked it up and the answer to your question (according to the RCCL web site) is no... here is why...

Life Onboard

Q: Are babysitters available onboard?

A: Babysitting is offered both in a group setting, and individually in your stateroom. In stateroom babysitting must be reserved through the Guest Relations Desk (Purser's Desk) at least 24 hours in advance.

It cannot be reserved prior to the cruise vacation and there is no guarantee that sitters will be available. The service is offered between 8:00 am and 2:00 am when personnel is available. Sitters will be assigned on a first come first served basis

Children MUST be at least 1 year old.

Approximate Rate: $10.00 per hour for one or two children within the same family or $15.00 per hour for three children within the same family.

Times and prices are subject to change without notice. Payment must be made in cash.

Thanks for this info. I did also consider the fact that he will be in a completely new environment and it may not be best to leave him with a sitter so soon. We did try to have our dinner on the night of the wedding, but Portofino's was "bought out" for that night. We don't want to eat there when we are in a port late or on a formal night. We wanted to have something for everyone at the beginning so everyone can meet one another. I hate to sound insensitive, but we are a bit sick of arranging everything around everyone else's needs and conveniences. The parents refuse to even attempt to potty-train him, so he will likely not be eligible for Adventure Ocean, so we have already had to take him into consideration for everything we have planned for the group. When it comes down to it, his parents may just have to miss the welcome dinner since their child cannot attend. All of the other parents are leaving their children at home so they can have an "adult vacation." If his parents choose to bring him, they may just have to miss out on some of the fun stuff. I guess that was a bit of a rant there...sorry:o

Hi esbie11...

I do understand what you are saying. Believe me, our first cruise with the kids was a real eye opener. Any preconceived notions we had about "adult time" went flying out the window. Once we adjusted to our new reality, we had a blast with the girls. We would not consider cruising without them again as they had so much fun and we wound up having just as much fun with them!

Our next cruise is with friends and we have already told them we may not be able to do everything with them because of the kids. It is a reality of being a parent. You have to rethink the way you spend your days while cruising and include your kids when they are not at Adventure Ocean.

I would go ahead, make your plans and let the chips fall where they may. It is not your problem that they are choosing to bring their child. Try not to be upset with them for bringing their child along... they have to do what they think is best for them. I really hope you have a wonderful cruise!

BTW... is it your wedding?

It is a gamble. The babysitters are volunteers. If the purser's desk is jammed with check-in activities, they might outright refuse you. If they take your request, you are betting blind they will find a volunteer.

Move away from the first night if it is critical to find a babysitter.

Either that, or duct tape works well!!!! (I am only kidding for those of you with no sense of humor and a sour outlook on life). For the rest of you, it works well!

Yes it is my wedding:D Oh and you mentioned Adventure Ocean...that is another story. Their son is old enough for AO, however they have made no effort to potty-train him yet. They seriously don't understand that there is TRAINING involved in it and are waiting for him to wake up one day and decide to no longer wear diapers. So, because he won't be eligible for AO, they will be very limited in their freedom to take part in childless activities, but that is also their choice. :)

I have no idea if the babysitter will be available the first night. And I know this is your wedding. So you could just say (like you did), forget them, they can stay with the kid, we'll have a great time without them. ;)

But then my 2nd thought it, did these friends/family pay to join you on your wedding cruise?

If you're paying, then by all means, you make your dinner when you want. :)

But if your friends/family made the financial decision to go on this cruise for your wedding celebration, then you might want to postpone the meal to another night that can accomodate the entire party.

My 2nd thought about having the dinner on the first night, not even putting the child into the equation, usually on the first night, I am too tired to do anything at all. I like to get settled in on the first night. So maybe the other adults in the party may be the same. It's just chaotic on the first day, traveling, unpacking, getting used to meds...lol.

We are paying for the guests' cruise and the dinner at Portofino's. I am not upset that they are bringing him, but I guess they may need to understand that they will be limited in some of the activities due to having him there (and unable to participate in Adventure Ocean). I kind of feel that it isn't my responsibility to make sure everything we do is "kid-friendly", particularly since there is only one child. I may feel differently if this were a family reunion and everyone had children, but for one couple? And I know what you mean about just wanting to relax on the first night. However all of our guests are first-time cruisers so I think they will be pretty excited and hyper:) Plus, we are providing hotel rooms for everyone the night before the cruise, so no one will be traveling the morning of, so hopefully everyone will be well-rested:D

We are paying for the guests' cruise and the dinner at Portofino's.

Plus, we are providing hotel rooms for everyone the night before the cruise, so no one will be traveling the morning of, so hopefully everyone will be well-rested:D

Holy cow!! Can I get invited?! You are very generous! Wishing you a spectacular wedding, a wonderful cruise and a life filled with joy!

Holy cow!! Can I get invited?! You are very generous! Wishing you a spectacular wedding, a wonderful cruise and a life filled with joy!

Oh, thank you. It's not that we're wealthy, we just extended our engagement and my fiance has been doing some contracting work to earn some extra money. Everyone in our family is not in the best financial situation, and we didn't want our wedding to be a burden. At the same time, it was essential that they be there for our day. So, we made the commitment to do this and incur all of the costs. And with 5 months still to go, we are soo happy that everything is paid for already:D Now there is nothing left to do but wait!

It is a huge deal traveling with children on a cruise! but I'm guessing the parents could maybe do a trade off game since the restaurant and your rooms are so close on ship, hopefully you have some older relatives that will pitch in here and there for them.

the first 7 day cruise we brought our kids on (yes they are older but my younger son has aspergers and requires someones attention at all times and doesn't like AO) anyways we brought a sitter, a niece and a sister in law and guess how much help they were with him...none! it was all up to us/me but since I'm with him all the time it was fine, we only take short cruises with the kids now.

anyways, my point, you'll just have to see what happens, maybe try for a sitter, maybe sneak the tot in for a super limited time if there is a family event or remarks, then do the trade off, the windjammer should be close by, its just like that with kids.

Its your wedding on a CRUISE! how exciting, tell the parents when their presence is required and try to forget about it

5 months is still a ways to go, maybe M&D will change there mind about bringing him.

You sound so considerate are there still people like you in this world?;) be a little selfish and plan your occasion according to your wishes, others will adjust.

Congrats and best wishes.........

Thanks for this info. I did also consider the fact that he will be in a completely new environment and it may not be best to leave him with a sitter so soon. We did try to have our dinner on the night of the wedding, but Portofino's was "bought out" for that night. We don't want to eat there when we are in a port late or on a formal night. We wanted to have something for everyone at the beginning so everyone can meet one another. I hate to sound insensitive, but we are a bit sick of arranging everything around everyone else's needs and conveniences. The parents refuse to even attempt to potty-train him, so he will likely not be eligible for Adventure Ocean, so we have already had to take him into consideration for everything we have planned for the group. When it comes down to it, his parents may just have to miss the welcome dinner since their child cannot attend. All of the other parents are leaving their children at home so they can have an "adult vacation." If his parents choose to bring him, they may just have to miss out on some of the fun stuff. I guess that was a bit of a rant there...sorry:o

Hey, let RCCL be the bad guys here. Tell your friends that the ONLY place to have the dinner is on that night in Portofino's, and children are not allowed, and you cannot arrange a sitter for them on that night. Then, suggest one stay with the child and the other come to the dinner.

(I haven't read this whole thread, so my apologies if I'm repeating someone else's post.)

I know that babysitting services are available, but are they available on the first night of the cruise?

Having done many family cruises with my 2 children (one 6 year old and an 8 year old with special needs), I would suggest that they go by the front desk and check on the first night - there is a good chance they will get a sitter, especially if they mention it is a special occasion.

I have always found the staff that takes on the private babysitting on the ships (Holland America and RCL) to be really nice, easy going, and usually very happy to make the extra money and enjoy the kids.

I know they say 24 hours, but you never know. It isn't the first night on the ship for the staff, so often it is just another night.

--

As for your special dinner, I would agree it isn't your responsibility to take care of the one child - that couple will have to do that. You won't be able to make everyone happy no matter what you do anyway, so just do what you want for your wedding and let the chips fall where they may.

Congratulations and enjoy!

And with 5 months still to go, . . . .

Maybe by then, the kid will be potty trained.

Perhaps you can put the ball back in the parent's court,

"We have this great dinner planned, but RCCL doesn't allow children . . . But they do have activities for kids at Adventure Ocean, but the children have to be potty trained . . .

We will try to get a babysitter for little Junior, but there is no guarantee. . . I am just so sorry. . . Too bad Junior isn't potty trained."

Yeah, I know it sounds cold, but in all seriousness, potty training really was a hit or miss (esp. with the boy) thing for us. Our kids fought it for a while and then one day it happened. So I wouldn't stress out about this especially with 5 months to go. Chances are the child will be potty trained and eligible to go to AO.

And you will have a great dinner at Portofino. Congratulations on the pending nuptials.

Archived