Live onboard QM2 11-21-2008

skyking

Think this clears up the Smoking debate.

From someone on board.

posted 11-23-2008 09:39 AM profile.gifpriv_message.gifedit.gifquote_ubb6.gif

Greetings from QM2. Ship and crew are wonderful, and service has been the best ever.

BUT, the refit changes are not good. The Chart Room is terrible. They have replaced all of the furniture with large, overstuffed chairs and sofas, and added a row in the middle. It has lost all of its elegance, in my opinion.

The interactive tv system is gone (but same chunky tvs). So, no in-room e-mail. They do rent laptops if you buy a package (supposedly and hopefully free for Platinum), but the system isn't really working. They installed wifi in the cabins, but it's spotty at best. They are working on it though. The QM2 e-mail address you had is now $3.95 per incoming or outgoing.

Smoking is all but banned. A few spots on the outer deck (where it's the most windy), 4 tables in Golden Lion, 3 in Queens Room Grill, and one tiny portion in G32. Smoking still allowed in cabins. I'll try and post some pics of Chart Room when I get back next week, but it's awful, just awful.

Is this something new or have they always had laptops for hire? Can you reserve precruise? How much do they cost? Very interest in this option if correct. Regards

Hello All,

I am sorry I have not posted much, but we have been pretty busy. Ok I can answer a few quick questions....I can assure that people were smoking in the Lion Pub, seems like a great place during the day, but at night it is just DEAD. Also G32 is one of the best night clubs I have seen on a ship, last night and the night before come midnight, 5 to 10 people in the club. Now I know it's a bit of a older crowd, but wow!

The ship is beautiful, and we love the pool on deck 8 AFT for sail away...Also the pools are FRESH water....I cant answer about the chart room furniture, but it's busy in there at times, also the Champagne bar has been busy this sailing as well. The Commodore lounge is great, especially with the Christmas decorations up...I need to use a lot more minutes these next few days, so I will be back tonight when we come back onboard from Bonnaire...Overall I will give this sailing a 8 out of 10...ALSO the food is GREAT:) Cheers for now!

Tim

Hello All,

We are currently doing 16 knots across the flat sea, about 75 miles off the coast of Hispaniola. It has been a rainy, but very pleasant day at sea.

For all of those wondering about the smoking on Deck 8 AFT by the pool, there is a smoking section in the chairs close to the Todd English windows...Plenty of smokers out there today I noticed. It has been a smooth cruise, and I hate to go back to reality in a day and a half. Today there was turkey and stuffing in the Kings Court, and tonight there will be Turkey on the dinner menu, I was highly insulted earlier today when I was waiting for the turkey to come out in the Kings Court, when the passenger next to me said is a SNOBBISH English accent " You do know this a ENGLISH ship right" WOW I almost lost it, but reminded him that there were 1200 americans onboard (per the Captain).....Tonight we are dining at the Captains table, so I will be sure to report how that goes...Cheers for now!

Tim

Hey Tim Captain's table how great. Last TA we were at the table next to the Captain's table (in Constellation's big back window) and loved watching the fancy going-ons. Probably the closest I will be to that honor. Fun to watch but they did tend to "steal" our wonderful assistant waiter Zeus to do things for the Head Table. Enjoy and post pictures (photographer takes special pictures of Captain's Table.) Happy Thanksgiving to all (I tend to like any holiday even those not of my culture or country -- some of my best travel memories come from "celebrating" a different holiday for the very first time).:)

Tim you crack me up. I would have lost it on that Brit. You should have reminded them the ship may be registered in the UK but it is OWNED by a US company. Happy Thanksgiving. I have also noticed that many people in stores are now saying happy holiday instead of thanksgiving. What is up with that?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. There are many of us wanting this week to go faster since we get on in Port Evergladed on Saturday.

HI all,

I just joined this thread and am considering booking the later December sailing. My TA told me that the passengers are rather snobbish and the ship is stuffy. Can you comment on this notion. I would really like to give QM2 a try but my wife and I are kind of laid back. We have been on quite a number of cruises and over the years our expectations of cruises have decreased. Thanks all that reply.

HI all,

I just joined this thread and am considering booking the later December sailing. My TA told me that the passengers are rather snobbish and the ship is stuffy. Can you comment on this notion. I would really like to give QM2 a try but my wife and I are kind of laid back. We have been on quite a number of cruises and over the years our expectations of cruises have decreased. Thanks all that reply.

Change travel agents.

Tim you crack me up. I would have lost it on that Brit. You should have reminded them the ship may be registered in the UK but it is OWNED by a US company. Happy Thanksgiving. I have also noticed that many people in stores are now saying happy holiday instead of thanksgiving. What is up with that?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. There are many of us wanting this week to go faster since we get on in Port Evergladed on Saturday.

Carnival Corporation & PLC, a British-American-Panamanian corporation, is the world's largest cruise operator, comprising 11 cruise brands, including Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line and Seabourn Cruise Line in North America; P&O Cruises, Cunard Line and Ocean Village in the United Kingdom; AIDA Cruises in Germany; Costa Cruises in Italy and P&O Cruises Australia in Australia. Combined, it operates a fleet of 88 ships, totaling more than 160,000 berths with a further 18 ships to be delivered by 2012.[1]

Carnival Corporation & PLC is a dual listed company (see that article for an explanation of this fairly unusual corporate structure), with headquarters in Miami, USA and London, UK. Carnival Corporation and Carnival PLC are separate listed companies and have different shareholder bodies, but they jointly own all the operating companies in the group. Carnival Corporation owns the majority stake

I'm serious: change agents. :o

If you search this board, you will find much information on the subject, so let me summarize:

There is as much difference on board Cunard ships as there is on an airplane: you get what you pay for. This means that you pay more for a bigger cabin/suite, which gives you the opportunity to dine in a smaller restaurant if you so choose, during a specific time frame, but on the same table and with the same waitstaff, without having to time your meals to first or second sitting. You may also have access to one or two separate areas of the ship reserved for "Grills" passengers, as well as, in some cases, have a butler, etc--the Cunard brochures/website give a more detailed explanation. That is the main difference. Everyone on board has access to the rest of the ship, no matter what grade cabin you occupy. And once you leave that cabin, there is NO sign to indicate where you rest your weary head, other than if you feel you need to share that with anyone withing hearing. From your posts on other boards I did not get the impression that you are that kind of passenger. :rolleyes:

Have you read the rollcall for the cruise you are interested in? There is often much information to be found there.

I suspect others may/will chime in, but you may have to wait for Thanksgiving feasts to be over. I'm glad that you are considering Cunard--I'm not familiar with the other lines you've travelled, but I have never, in 26 years of travelling on Cunard (and other lines), had anything but excellent service, no matter what dining room I was assigned... There are no "2 classes" on Cunard: as I've said before, you get what you pay for. And isn't that the same everywhere?

See you on board...

HI all,

Thanks for your reply. She told me there are two classes on board the ship. Can you comment on this.

Thanks

This is taken directly from a review of a traveller onboard Qm2 whom I trust very much. I will be sailing her for the first time on Saturday so can't yet comment myself.

Before sailing I had been concerned that the Cunard “Class” system (Queens Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia Restaurant) on QM2 would make itself obvious. How wrong I was. As a “Britannia” passenger there were only two small restaurants and a bar, a travel/tour booking office (the “Concierge Lounge“) and a tiny deck area that I couldn’t use. Other than that I had the complete run of this huge ship. At no time, as I walked about, could I tell in which grade (or “class”) of cabin my fellow passengers were travelling. OK, on deck 7, “D” staircase foyer, there were discrete signs “Queens/Princess Grill guests only” outside their restaurants and bar. And, as I descended outside from deck 12 to deck 8 (towards the stern), I passed through the tiny “Queens Grill Guests Only” area on Deck 11 and noticed the rolled towels on deck chairs emblazoned “CUNARD” (whereas the ones on the other decks were plain). But it would have been very easy for me to have missed these remnants of a bygone era. The days when huge parts of a liner were “off limits” are gone. Everywhere I went I was treated by all the staff as if I was the most important person on board. I don’t know if the bar staff could tell when they “swiped” my “sign and sail” card which cabin I was in, and therefore which “class”. But, if they could, it was never obvious. All the crew were supremely professional, courteous and polite.

As nom de plume suggests, do a little research before trusting the word of your travel agent.

HI all,

I actually do NOT find it snobbish or stuffy at all....As a travel agent myself I find it refreshing, you will have a very very relaxing cruise. Today we sat by the pool on deck 8 AFT until it just started poring, then we just moved into the solarium pool on deck 12. Again I find it very very enjoyable, and the service is the BEST I have had on a cruise.....ENJOY!

Tim

I'm serious: change agents. :o

If you search this board, you will find much information on the subject, so let me summarize:

There is as much difference on board Cunard ships as there is on an airplane: you get what you pay for. This means that you pay more for a bigger cabin/suite, which gives you the opportunity to dine in a smaller restaurant if you so choose, during a specific time frame, but on the same table and with the same waitstaff, without having to time your meals to first or second sitting. You may also have access to one or two separate areas of the ship reserved for "Grills" passengers, as well as, in some cases, have a butler, etc--the Cunard brochures/website give a more detailed explanation. That is the main difference. Everyone on board has access to the rest of the ship, no matter what grade cabin you occupy. And once you leave that cabin, there is NO sign to indicate where you rest your weary head, other than if you feel you need to share that with anyone withing hearing. From your posts on other boards I did not get the impression that you are that kind of passenger. :rolleyes:

Have you read the rollcall for the cruise you are interested in? There is often much information to be found there.

I suspect others may/will chime in, but you may have to wait for Thanksgiving feasts to be over. I'm glad that you are considering Cunard--I'm not familiar with the other lines you've travelled, but I have never, in 26 years of travelling on Cunard (and other lines), had anything but excellent service, no matter what dining room I was assigned... There are no "2 classes" on Cunard: as I've said before, you get what you pay for. And isn't that the same everywhere?

See you on board...

I agree with everything you have posted, they honestly do it RIGHT thats for sure. I will hope to try the Victoria next...Cheers!

Tim

This is taken directly from a review of a traveller onboard Qm2 whom I trust very much. I will be sailing her for the first time on Saturday so can't yet comment myself.

As nom de plume suggests, do a little research before trusting the word of your travel agent.

You will have a AWESOME time on this beautiful vessel.....Make sure you wave bon voyage as wwe get off the ship on Saturday, I wanna wake up early as we sail into Ft Lauderdale. Cheers! OFF to get a Guiness in the Golden Lion Pub

Don'T you just hate it when you get it wrong

Well, I guess if you are a Brit you can take comfort in the fact that Carnival Corp. & Plc is a duel listed company.

Of course in reality, the corporation has it's main headquarters in Miami and is run almost exclusively by Americans. The major decisions (such as newbuilds and such) are dictated from Miami and by an American.

All six of Carnival Corp. Officers are American, and of course the leader of this group (another American) is the Chairman of the Board and CEO. I'm speaking of Micky Arison of course.

In addition, there are 13 Board of Directors, and all but four are American.

I just didn't want there to be any mistake about who is actually calling the shots at Carnival Corp. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ernie

Hi Tim,

If you have time to respond in your last hours on the ship, my husband would like to know how cool they keep the temperature on the ship. Some ships we have been on keep the temperature really cold - sometimes especially in the dining rooms.

- Janet

Hello All,

We are currently doing 16 knots across the flat sea, about 75 miles off the coast of Hispaniola. It has been a rainy, but very pleasant day at sea.

For all of those wondering about the smoking on Deck 8 AFT by the pool, there is a smoking section in the chairs close to the Todd English windows...Plenty of smokers out there today I noticed. It has been a smooth cruise, and I hate to go back to reality in a day and a half. Today there was turkey and stuffing in the Kings Court, and tonight there will be Turkey on the dinner menu, I was highly insulted earlier today when I was waiting for the turkey to come out in the Kings Court, when the passenger next to me said is a SNOBBISH English accent " You do know this a ENGLISH ship right" WOW I almost lost it, but reminded him that there were 1200 americans onboard (per the Captain).....Tonight we are dining at the Captains table, so I will be sure to report how that goes...Cheers for now!

Tim

Perhaps the person you are talking about was speaking English in the correct manner and not some broken American accent and you couldn’t understand them.

Never heard of the word SNOBBISH . Is that an American word? Or did you mean to say snobby?

Perhaps the person you are talking about was speaking English in the correct manner and not some broken American accent and you couldn’t understand them.

Never heard of the word SNOBBISH . Is that an American word? Or did you mean to say snobby?

Well then....my dictionary (American that it is) defines SNOBBISH as...."of, characteristic of, or like a snob"..example given..."the writer takes a rather snobbish tone." Must be an American word.....:rolleyes:

Just a little more of that British English--American English thing that most of us on here have long since gotten past criticising.;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

As someone who is English, I would have thought the word snobbish is used correctly. However,I am sure that you are more fair than to judge us all from that snippet of conversation. It does sound more like Eliza Doolittle 'a English ship right' so I wouldn't be too bothered about it.

Whatever the ownership of Cunard, the QM2 does seem to pretend or want to be English at times so maybe there are occasional personality problems. Who cares? Just enjoy her.

This is taken directly from a review of a traveller onboard Qm2 whom I trust very much....

Hello,

Thank you so very much for the exceptional compliment you've paid me, I am honoured and very grateful for your very kind words.

Since my first TA, and writing the review (that you quoted from) two years ago, I've been back on QM2 three times as a "Britannia Grade" passenger (+ QE2 once) and each time I felt I was treated as if I was the most important passenger on board judging by the way I was greeted everywhere I went, the attention to detail, the hard work of my cabin steward and the high standard of service given by all the crew and staff without exception.

Indeed, on my third Cunard voyage I had the honour to be invited to a small private party hosted by the Commodore and, later on in the cruise, I was given a tour of the bridge by the First Officer.

I cannot stess enough that you have no idea, as you move around the ship, swim in a pool, stop for a drink, enjoy a show in the theatre, visit the spa, dance the night away, what grade of accomodation the passengers you meet or sit next to, are booked into.

Once again, thank you.

Just a little more of that British English--American English thing that most of us on here have long since gotten past criticising.;)

I am very worried as I agree with you. I do, of course, charge for being agreeable.

Perhaps I shall feel better after I've taken my tablets.

Sir Martin

I am very worried as I agree with you. I do, of course, charge for being agreeable.

Perhaps I shall feel better after I've taken my tablets.

Sir Martin

Isn't that twice this year you've agreed with me???:eek::eek:

Oh, and by the way, the check is NOT in the mail!!:p

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Isn't that twice this year you've agreed with me???:eek::eek:

Oh, and by the way, the check is NOT in the mail!!:p

You cannot be serious; it was just the once.

Oh, and to prove I can be topical, the method of payment you mentioned is spelt cheque in civilised countries:p.

Sir Martin

You cannot be serious; it was just the once.

Oh, and to prove I can be topical, the method of payment you mentioned is spelt cheque in civilised countries:p.

Sir Martin

Nope...I'd swear it was twice...I had to do a lie down the first time which is why I remember. It had something to do with soup and Nalcoln...;)

As for topical...wouldn;'t that be spelled civilized??? Merely a query mind you.:p

Cheers, Penny

Archived