Food on Norwegian Jewel

tbmrt

I was all set to book the Jewel for December and then hit many bad reviews about the food.

I know that there is good and bad about various things on the ships, but it does seem that the food except for some of the extra $ restaurants is getting criticized often.

Would appreciate input.

Thanks

Barbara

Barbara:

This topic comes about every 3-4 days and it gets lots of responses. You will find some folks that are unhappy with the food, and others that keep going back. Some always eat in the free restaurants, and others are big on the speciality restaurants.

We have been very happy with the free food. I will agree that you do not get the 'wonderful' food of cruiselines past, but it is still fine. We have done many trips on NCL and will do more.

You mileage may vary.

If you scroll through postings from the past two weeks you will see this covered many times.

I agree with what Garycarla said, you will find many different answers to this question. Food is too subjective. I will tell you that my husband is an extremely picky eater and never had a problem finding something to eat that he enjoyed when we were on the Jewel in January.

Our best meal was in Tsars, which is one of the free main dining rooms.

We also enjoyed Cagney's and Tappenyaki. Mama's was just ok.

I question reviews where people say they couldnt find anything to eat and the food was horrible everywhere.

Just go with an open mind and a positive attitude and enjoy your cruise, the Jewel is a beautiful ship with a great crew.

I stated in my review we were disappointed in the food on the Jewel (we just returned last Friday), with that being said, the food quality would NOT keep me from cruising again Jewel. I'm just not a "freestyle cruising" type person, I prefer the more traditional way to cruise.

I agree with the earlier post of "GO, ENJOY YOUR CRUISE"......you'll find food that will satisfy you just fine!

After considerable searching and reading lots and lots of the reviews, we booked the Jewel for Jan 2009. I can't speak to what is, but it seemed to me that many of the reviews that complained about the food were also offset by those that either loved the food, or at least thought it was satisfactory. I guess it's an example of you can't please all the people all of the time, and different folks have different expectations.

My wife and I do not intend to spend the extra to eat in the restaurants that require a cover charge. There are plenty of no-cover options.

To tell you the truth, we found the same kind of reviews before our 2005 cruise on RCCL's Legend of the Seas and we thought the food was good.

I guess the last thing I would say is that I think many folks want or are expecting gourmet food on a budget cruise. It's not going to happen. If you want gourmet, choose the luxury cruise lines and pay the price that goes with it.

Although I have never sailed on NCL, I find the constant discussion regarding food onboard amusing. I am certain that a large number of complainers don't do luxury dining on a weekly or bi-weekly basis but expect this unknown criteria on their cruise.I am sorry for their unhappiness.

This will not be my last meal. If I am unhappy I will be back home soon.

Fran

No complaints from us about the food on our Jewel cruise last March. In fact I was particularly delighted with the dried fruits, including dates, apricots and golden raisins, that were available at one station in the buffet during breakfast hours. We were on the Jewel just before the Mexican and Italian specialty restaurants started to charge $10. pp and we truly enjoyed our meals in both of thoses plus the two main restaurants so much that we never got to try any of the pay restuarants. But we also have been on Pride of America and loved the steakhouse, so there truly is something for all tastes, in our opinion. We are looking so forward to our 21 days on the Jade in January/February '09!

I have been thinking about this lately and think there are some additional answers.

Some people eat mostly (or alot) at fast food places which of course prepare food differently, and that is taste they are accustomed to. Others eat in "gourmet" restaurants and expect similar food onboard. Some only eat what would be considered family receipe cooking, and therefore have their own idea of good food. Lots of different strokes for different folks.

I remember seeing the same thing in college. Some kids could not stop eating and others basically starved because it was not "Mom's Cooking". Add all of those things into the mix, and you are going to get people that are just not happy.

I have been thinking about this lately and think there are some additional answers.

Some people eat mostly (or alot) at fast food places which of course prepare food differently, and that is taste they are accustomed to. Others eat in "gourmet" restaurants and expect similar food onboard. Some only eat what would be considered family receipe cooking, and therefore have their own idea of good food. Lots of different strokes for different folks.

I remember seeing the same thing in college. Some kids could not stop eating and others basically starved because it was not "Mom's Cooking". Add all of those things into the mix, and you are going to get people that are just not happy.

What a great way to say what I was thinking and trying to get out of my fingers! Thanks.

Thomas

Very well said!

Robin

I liked the food when I traveled on the Jewel a few years ago. I am a vegetarian and was happy with the choices but can't comment on the meat items. The bread and rolls were great. If someone can't find something they like to eat on a cruise they are too picky!

Here are thoughts from a novice cruiser. We have been on one cruise (Pride of America), spent time on these boards doing research and getting an idea of what to expect. From some of the posters comments, we where concerned about many items mentioned including the food. We decided to go with an open mind and make the most of it.

Had such a good time that we cannot wait for our next cruise. Please do not let a few comments ruin your cruise plans, go with the intention of having a wonderful trip and you will. Food is just one part on the trip and I have not heard of anyone starving to death (some thought they had).

It is a vacation, a cruise, time to relax and unwind. Have a wonderful time.

On any trip there are going to be things that come up that will less than perfect.......how you deal with it is up to you.

• Administrators
I was all set to book the Jewel for December and then hit many bad reviews about the food.

I know that there is good and bad about various things on the ships, but it does seem that the food except for some of the extra $ restaurants is getting criticized often.

Would appreciate input.

Thanks

Barbara

Nobody can tell me what I like to eat except me. If I listened to reviews I would have missed some great dining experiences in my life (because the reviews were "negative"). Food quality is the ultimate subjective opinion -- extremely picky people will be picky whether on a cruiseship or at a five star Michelin Guide restaurant. I'm not a picky eater/diner, so usually I don't even notice things that bother other people significantly.

If you are going to decide whether and on what line to cruise based on the opinions of strangers about the food, I think I'd advise not cruising at all and staying with the familiar/known quantity of the restaurant food in your hometown. Seriously. Cruising isn't free -- you are paying money to be there, so if the possibility of a meal seeming "inferior" to you would mean your trip was lessened/spoiled ... why risk the dough?

Would appreciate input.

Thanks

Barbara

Just wanted to chime in and echo what everyone else is saying - it's too subjective for anyone else to say what you will like. However, I've been called a picky eater (meat? mmm, probably not...) and my husband to me is incredibly picky (he's a meat & potatoes guy - but nothing else please!) - and neither of us came anywhere near starving. We ate too well at every meal and both tried and found some new things to enjoy. We both loved the fish & chips at the Blue Lagoon, I loved the dried dates every morning with breakfast, and we both fell in love with a chilled fruit soup course with dinner. We appreciated the variety of choices in the main dining room, there wasn't a night there wasn't SOMETHING we enjoyed. We loved Cagney's so much we went twice (both nights were 2 for 1 specials since we went late, it was the only extra $$ restaurant we went to) - even though I don't like red meat I love seafood, they had great shrimp cocktails. I've seen other reviews say NCL food might compare to Applebees or a similar chain as opposed to the local upscale french cuisine hotspot, and I wonder if that isn't it and the complaints are a matter of gourmet expectations. To us everything was presented beautifully and tasted good.

We loved the Jewel, there were lots of places to eat if one of them isn't to your liking, and I hope you have a great cruise!

It seems to me that the people who complain about the food on NCL are people who have cruised multiple times on other lines. In my opinion the food in the free dinning rooms on NCL for lunch and dinner is subpar compared to the other cruise lines. I did find that breakfast in the main dinning rooms was as good or better than breakfast on the other cruiselines that I have experienced. Some people believe that the food on NCL is subpar in the main dinning rooms to encourage you to dine in the pay extra venues. I can understand why some people feel this way.

This same issue comes up over and over because their IS a food problem. Its very mediocre food ~ some call that subjective but then you wouldn't hear the term "subjective" over and over if so many people thought the food was actually good.

I've been on the Jewel twice in two years. Both times very mediocre food and very slow service in the dining rooms. Other cruise lines do a much better job with food IMO.

NCL does lots of things better. The decor is much nicer - fun, funky and hip. The cabins are nicer, the shows are better, perks for staying in suites are great but the food has consistently deteriorated over the past 5 years consistently.

• Administrators
It seems to me that the people who complain about the food on NCL are people who have cruised multiple times on other lines. In my opinion the food in the free dinning rooms on NCL for lunch and dinner is subpar compared to the other cruise lines. I did find that breakfast in the main dinning rooms was as good or better than breakfast on the other cruiselines that I have experienced. Some people believe that the food on NCL is subpar in the main dinning rooms to encourage you to dine in the pay extra venues. I can understand why some people feel this way.

This is why food is subjective. That word isn't some kind of code for "cheerleaders covering up inedible slop." What constitutes "good" and "bad" food is a subjective opinion, every time.

*I* have cruised multiple times on other lines, and haven't found the food in NCL's dining rooms inferior to that encountered on any other lines except maybe HAL (which is considered a notch above NCL in the cruiseline hierarchy, and I would agree with that -- maybe even not so much for the food as for the service).

I've had meals I'd prefer not to repeat in NCL's surcharge specialty restaurants, and others I'd repeat in a heartbeat in no surcharge main dining rooms. SUBJECTIVE. That said, overall I've enjoyed the food on NCL and am looking forward to our dining experiences on the Dawn next April.

Your mileage may vary. If you are cruising for the food, I'd say find a different vacation option, especially these days -- even traditional "foodie" lines like X are being slammed with "the food stinks" posts right now.

In my opinion the food in the free dinning rooms on NCL for lunch and dinner is subpar compared to the other cruise lines.

In my opinion, the food in NCL's free dining rooms for lunch and dinner is at least comparable to what we've had on other cruise lines.

Would appreciate input.

Thanks

Barbara

Let me point something out, my DH loves biscuits and gravy -- I think it is the most nastiest disgusting thing I have ever tasted (ok, liver and onions ranks up there too). I LOVE eggplant, my good friend says 'no way'. Point being that just a like or dislike for me isn't necessarily a like or dislike for someone else. Hence the discussion about food being objective.

If you like the itinerary and the price is right, book the cruise. Good grief - with all the food available on a ship, you are bound to be happy with something; maybe even ALL of it!

Such a small percentage of people on the ship will be from CC ... use the opinions here as information - not the WORD. Take it all with a grain of salt. We are all different - which is really a good thing - so relax and book!

Enjoy!

Guys, most of us here agree, but one or two are still going to argue the whole 'how can it be subjective' thing again.... Here's a response I gave in another thread, and funny, to one of the posters here with almost the exact same comment ...

Here's the appropriate definition of the word subjective from Merriam-Webster:

(1): peculiar to a particular individual : personal <subjective judgments>

So, yes, food is very subjective - doesn't matter who or where you are!

To the OP, because of the subjective nature of this, the only thing you are going to get here is opinion and eventually debate. You have to make the choice of cruise based on your opinions and what you want out of it.

I've not sailed NCL but have sailed Princess. I like Princess, so far my favorite of the cruises I've been on, but IMHO, the food was alright, just like I thought it was alright on RCI and Carnival. But, I don't go on a cruise solely for the food - there's plenty to eat so even if I don't like it at all, there would be something. But, that's just me. Good luck with the decision you make.

Archived