Up-Do's

jillybean2

Help! I would very much like to wear my hair up for formal nights...but am completely untalented when it comes to ideas on my own. I have shoulder length, thick straight hair. Can anyone help me with books or websites that might give me some instructions on how to do it on my own?

Thanks!

jillybean,
I have a book called Five Minute Hairstylist. I found it in a used book store and it looks like, from a quick search on bn.com that is is only available used now (but I saw several copies being pawned for $1.99 each). It is a hardcover book with lots of color photos. I would say the instructions leave a little to be desired, but it is great for ideas and if you have time to play with your hair before you go on your cruise, you just might find something that works!
Good luck!
Joyce

I found a place in Dallas that sells jewelry, handbags, and hairpieces (for those of you in the Dallas area, it's Sam Moon's). I bought a hair piece that is attached to a comb in two long strands on wire that can be twisted. You put your hair in a pony tail and catch the end of the pony tail in the rubber band so it is a little ball of hair. Then you stick the comb just above the ponytail and wrap the ends of the hair piece around your own hair. It turns out to be a mass of curls and very attractive. Hope I have described this properly. I have heard that some kiosks in the malls have these hair pieces, too. My hair is frosted and my hair piece matches perfectly. My hair is about shoulder length but it works with shorter or longer hair. It makes for a very elegant up do. Needless to say I am taking it with me in a month!!!

Sally's beauty supply has some great hair pieces and very inexpensive. They look natural too not like those shiney faky things that are the "Toni Tails" sold on HSN.

I did find though they tend to get frizzy looking after a few wears and needs replacing but for the price of an updo at the salon you get several wears. Also great for port days and if you do a late excursion before dinner-really simple for a last minute hair fix.

Ofcourse I solved my problem differently. I went really short with my hair. My hair looks so much better and so simple to jump in the shower and wash it quickly after going on an excursion.

I do love long hair though and love it on you younger gals. So keep your long hair as long as it still looks good.

[quote name='jillybean2']Help! I would very much like to wear my hair up for formal nights...but am completely untalented when it comes to ideas on my own. I have shoulder length, thick straight hair. Can anyone help me with books or websites that might give me some instructions on how to do it on my own?
Thanks![/QUOTE]
I can offer tips.

I have very straight hair and this works for me with updo's

1. Curl your hair 1st. (even if you don't want a curly hair style) The curls make it easy to put up into any style. 100% effective.
2. Spray hair before you put it up, it will be easier to manage and will stay up better.

Hi Jilly

I have longer hair too and I like the idea of an up do but am also horrible at them on my own. I did figure out a way to do one though that is really easy and look very nice.

I start by curling my hair..takes me a while but it looks so pretty when it's done, hot rollers are great for this..
then i take the front part..like if I was pulling it up into a barrette and put that into a ponytail, kinda loose, then I take a jaw clip and take all the loose hair and twist it up and clip it right close to the pony tail. wisp out a few tendrils and bangs if I want them and then add in some glittery clips or things and I'm done.
It is hard to really explain it..but it does look really nice.

;) Kyra

Archived