Best (and Worst!) Packing Tips

Well, we have all seen Packing List threads... just wondering what the BEST packing tip you ever received was? What was the WORST?

One of the Best tips I got was to bring address labels along with me, so that we would not waste time filling out address forms on luggage tags, and documents. The Worst tip was to bring along sample bottles of shampoo, face creams, etc... a vacation is not the time to try new products!

What tips can you guys share?

I read on here about using an over-the-door hanging shoe bag (clear is best) for toiletries, small items, etc. I haven't taken my first cruise yet, but I tried this out on a long business trip this spring. Great idea...it really helped to keep me organized and hardly took any space to pack. With multiple people in a cabin, I can really see this coming in handy.

Not everyone agrees, but the best tip I have ever used is the shoe holder in the closet. The accordian kind that is like shelves, we use it for shoes, purses, stacking papers etc... We also sometimes use the over the door shoe holder for odds and ends that would normally clutter the desk top. Then there is the pack your underwear in ziploc bags tip, excellent.

The worst, probably believing that you needed to have a different outfit and shoes for every evening.

Best packing tip.... take fewer clothes than you think you want to take!!!! Let RCCL do laundry for you!!!!! Let them iron your husband's dress shirts ( do not iron them before you leave!!!) !!!!! :)

Can't think of a worse one...

Nancy

Best

1. I love using the Eagle Creek packing cubes in different sizes. Each one holds lots of stuff, and it's easy to find what I'm looking for, since I use one for, say swimwear and coverups, one for shorts and tees, etc. Also I use their shirt folder for dh's dress and golf shirts...very handy.

2. I bring along the Space Bags folded up, and then use them to compress any dirty laundry left for the trip home. I agree that they wrinkle things too much to use them for much else.

Worst

This is not exactly a packing tip per say, but I brought along a travel type french press coffee maker. Used it only once on the first morning---we were having such a great time I couldn't be bothered with it, and did just fine with the ship's coffee instead!

teddie

2. I bring along the Space Bags folded up, and then use them to compress any dirty laundry left for the trip home. I agree that they wrinkle things too much to use them for much else.

That is a great idea.I never thought of using them for the dirty clothes.They just sit in the closet.

Happy_ks, I can't figure out the underwear in a baggie tip. What's the purpose of doing this?

We put all our underwear and other small items in plastic bags and compress the air out them. Reasons: small items are less likely to be lost if your luggage is opened for inspection. I also don't want my undies, PJ's, etc. handled by the inspectors. I pack them clean and I want them to stay that way. Compressing them takes up much less room for items that I don't care if they wrinkle or not.

What are the vacuum bags this thread is referring to? We use the 2 gallon ziploc bags for packing and organizing most items-they really cut down on wrinkles! Also we pack extra coat hangers so everything gets hung up. Don't hesitate to use the ship's laundry service- the rates are very reasonable and they do a great job. Happy cruising everyone! Jewel of the Seas Feb 2005...

Use the 13-gallon kitchen trash bags with the odor shield for your dirty undies and socks . . . we put our dirties underwear in it and then use the bag as the separator between the worn clothing and the clothing we brought that we thought we had to have 'cause we intended to wear it . . .

One tip that I read somewhere was to use dryer sheets in your luggage to keep your clothes smelling fresh - then use them in the drawers of your cabin when you unpack.

One of the best tips I have ever gotten was from my mother-in-law.

Instead of throwing away all my old underwear, (you know, the ones that you could wear one more time) I take them with me on vacation. After I wear them I throw them out and no dirty underwear to take home with me. It really cuts down on my laundry when I come home. I keep all the new stuff to wear when I get home.

Rolling clothes instead of folding works pretty good, but still some wrinkles. I brought the Downy wrinkle releaser on my past trip. It worked great on Dockers and cotton type fabrics but not on stretchy types.

The Ziploc bags are also a good idea for bringing home wet swimwear. Everything else stayed dry. Our last day was at sea so we spent some time in the pool before packing.

Best tip was buying one of those daily pill holders to use for small earrings. I have 4 holes in my ears so I usually wear several small pairs.

Best packing tip.... We way over packed on our last cruise, and didn't even wear 1/2 the clothes we took.

Decide which clothes you are going to take and leave 1/2 of them home. You only need dinner clothes, and shorts and t shirts and bathing suits (probably want to bring 2). Bring outfits that are interchangeable so they can be worn more than once for dinner (a top with a different shirt or pants etc).

If you wear tshirts, take less than you will need. You will probably buy some as souvenirs.

Bring a radio, especially if you are a sports fan. During the baseball playoffs last year, the Cubs/Marlins series was not shown on tv on board. I ended up loaning my radio to some Cubs fans so they could at least follow the game live. Many American AM radio stations signals are recievable in the Caribbean. In fact, got WBZ in Boston while cruising on the Mariner off FL coast.

"Instead of throwing away all my old underwear, (you know, the ones that you could wear one more time) I take them with me on vacation. After I wear them I throw them out and no dirty underwear to take home with me. It really cuts down on my laundry when I come home. I keep all the new stuff to wear when I get home."

Oh, no!! Ladies, wear your VERY BEST undies when you cruise. In fact, buy special cruising undies!! I guarantee you won't regret it... ;)

teddie,

What are Eagle Creek packing cubes?

Cruiselovin, they can also be purchased at most sporting goods, AAA stores, Magellan's, Travelsmith, etc. They have see-thru mesh tops, which is great. Thanks, sherry for the link, too

teddie

I always do the undie toss. Just make sure you calculate right so you don't run out. I actually had a cabin attendant fish them out of the trash..he thought I had made a mistake! Talk about embarassing.

I have an envelope system that really works well. I put everything for each day in a separate envelope before we leave home; car rental or excursion confirms, coupons, maps and so on. On the outside of the envelope I note the date, arrive/depart time, any phone numbers that I may need, what we plan to do, any special items to take with us, etc. Works great. I just grab that days envelope and we are good to go.

Worst packing tip was the Downey wrinkle release. Didn't work at all. I do love my travel steamer, though.

When packing clothes, roll them up, dont fold. By rolling them you can fit more. Pack shoes to the sides. Bring a few extra hangers from home so that you can hang all the shirts, dresses, etc. :)

I never bring extra hangers. I just hang t-shirts on top of t-shirts - maybe three or four to a hanger and it works out fine. We just returned from the Oct. 31 sailing of Rhapsody. I definitely brought too many clothes as I always seem to do. I promised my husband that on our January 2005 cruise I would bring half as much. Really, you don't need something different every night. I could never remember what my friend who was sailing with us wore to dinner the night before. So, if you have to repeat a night, no one remembers or cares. Pack light.

Pack whatever makes you happy. I take twice the clothes of my hubby :) It is not a contest!

Tip: We always pack a nylon suitcase in the bottom of my suitcase for loading dirty clothes. We disembark with one extra suitcase.

(I have never been able to fit everything back into the original luggage.)

Archived