RCCL's beach horseback riding excursion --- so good or no good?

nilsbyy

I'm a little apprehensive about going off on my own in Jamaica, and none of the other excursions really caught my eye. Has anyone been on the beach horseback riding excursion? Was it fun? Any problems?

Any other excursions in Montego Bay that were fun?

• 1 month later...

EDITED TO ADD: I just realized that you are docked in Montego Bay - we came in at Ocho Rios, so I am not sure if it is the same tour.

This is the excursion that we did. We had a great time!

It's through Chukka Cove and you can't book it independently if you are traveling via cruiseship. They meet you right off the ship and transport you to Chukka Cove in an a/c bus. There is a tour guide on the bus giving you interesting information about the area. Our tour guide was great!

When we got to Chukka Cove, we each got a horse. All of the horses seemed well-fed and healthy. Then we rode through the Chukka cove property (which is beautiful) to the beach. There were several guides, who were very attentive and quick to help. At the beach, the guides changed the saddles to water saddles, and we changed into bathing suits. Then we got on the horses and went into the water - you went WELL into the water - the horses were swimming or pretty close to it! It was a LOT of fun! I went with my 15yo and 20yo daughters and we all enjoyed it a lot. Our guide took pics on the trail with our camera, and then they use their own water camera for pics in the water (and of course charge you for their pics!)

Then after that, you get dried off and changed, and then back to where the tour started.

At the place where you change to go into the water, there is a little covered pavilion where they sell t-shirts and drinks. There is also a bathroom there as well.

At the main entrance, there is a bathroom, a bar, and a little gift shop. You can also buy treats to feed your horse.

Then they drive you back to the cruise ship! We would definitely recommend that tour.

• 4 weeks later...

HI

Do they actually use water saddles?

I did a horseback beach ride in St Maarten and we went into the water bareback which was fun but very difficult to stay on.

How deep into the water do you go? Can you choose to go in water not as deep?

Thanks

rpetrillo,They have a pad that you sit on in the water.

The cove you ride in the water in not that deep. Just about the horses back. It is hard to hang on but there is a handle on the pad.

NavBride, I would think your kids will do just fine.

It was an awesome excursion.

We were in Ochos Rios as well. The guides were a blast and the place is very nice.

HI

I was doing some research online and I found another company called Hooves where you also swim with the horses up to their back but with them you leave the saddle on for "safety reasons". They are cheaper thatn RCI ($65) for the same ride length, they pick you up at the pier and for $25 more they have a romance add-on where you get your own private guide and a stop on the beach with wine and appetizers. They even include a free pic.

Archived