Miracle and Rookies wanting to dive in Cayman

ibcruzzin

I am stopping in Grand Cayman on 11/16/04 on the Miracle and we have just completed our PADI open water dive class(11/03). We want to dive in Cayman. I can't find a dive company I can set up with to dive. Not sure if Carnival will offer a dive. My question is has anyone got off the ship and walked up to a person with a sign offering a dive trip and had good or bad luck with the dive folks. I would hope in Cayman the folks would be honest and reliable. Any help or hints would be great for the rookies.

I am stopping in Grand Cayman on 11/16/04 on the Miracle and we have just completed our PADI open water dive class(11/03). We want to dive in Cayman. I can't find a dive company I can set up with to dive. Not sure if Carnival will offer a dive. My question is has anyone got off the ship and walked up to a person with a sign offering a dive trip and had good or bad luck with the dive folks. I would hope in Cayman the folks would be honest and reliable. Any help or hints would be great for the rookies.

Just walk of the tender,turn right and walk 500 ft. There is the first dive shop.Walk another 300 ft and there is a second.As you tender in you will see a giant dive flag on the roof.You will aslo see a vast area bouyed off for diving. Both these places offer a nice affordable shore dive (dive on your own) that is up to 46ft deep. Do a search on the net for Abanks dive center and Eden rock dive center.

Do a search for the dive sites called Devils grotto and Edens rock.

Any other questions just ask.

Steve

DH and I have been diving about a year and a half. My two 16 year old kids have only logged 5 dives each. We are shore diving in GC. If you look into the website at http://www.divecayman.com and check out the dive map. You will see a link for Eden Rock diving center. You can shore dive right there. They sell maps you can take. My advice is: If you want to save money and have a great dive..contact Edin Rock and ask about hiring a Dive Master to go with you. We have done this lots of times. It usually costs about $50.00 for the Dive Master. You can also check out prices for rental equipment (tanks, weights). This is the most cost effective way to go and you can be sure to be back at the boat on time. But for safety get a Dive Master. The other plus is that Dive Master will know the area and the best places to see the coolest fish.

Archived