Accessible Tours

sanspike

Does anyone know of any accessible tours in Costa Rica or Cartegena? When we were in Costa Rica before I was still able to climb onto a bus and cannot do that anymore so any suggestions would be appreciated. I read somewhere where there are taxi in Cartegena that you can hire for about $60 for three hours, which would be doable.

Thanks for the help.

I don't know about Cartagena....it has been too many years since we have been there, but I would opt for a car service recommended by your cruise ship excursion office vs. just hiring a cab. This can be a dangerous town if you get into the wrong areas or use an unknown cab driver.

For Costa Rica, this is the company that I have heard is the best for private accessible tours: http://www.gowithwheelchairs.com/index.html

(KLD)

I don't know about Cartagena....it has been too many years since we have been there, but I would opt for a car service recommended by your cruise ship excursion office vs. just hiring a cab. This can be a dangerous town if you get into the wrong areas or use an unknown cab driver.

For Costa Rica, this is the company that I have heard is the best for private accessible tours: http://www.gowithwheelchairs.com/index.html

(KLD)

Thanks I will try this one in Costa Rica, and check with the excursion desk on Cartegena.

Does anyone know of any accessible tours in Costa Rica or Cartegena? When we were in Costa Rica before I was still able to climb onto a bus and cannot do that anymore so any suggestions would be appreciated. I read somewhere where there are taxi in Cartegena that you can hire for about $60 for three hours, which would be doable.

Thanks for the help.

Definitely contact the above gowithwheelchairs -- ERIK. We had a wonderful tour with him in April of '08. Book early. The scooter fit well in the van and we customized the tour to our liking (including shopping). We saw and did so much -- loved the aerial tram -- very easy to get on. Erik is an outstanding guide. Costa Rica is hot, roads are bumpy, but there's a lot to see. Tell hm V & B from NY recommended you.

Cartagena - we did a private tour with others (bus was very high step to get in -- and although we had the scooter with us -- very old city, so nothing was acessible. :)

• 4 weeks later...
How expensive are these excursions. My son who is in a wheelchair would like to go on the tram. Has anyone been on this in an electric wheelchair?

The best way to see the cost is to go to the website. We booked 19 months in advance so Erik honored the old price. I'm not sure what his current price is. I use an electric wheelchair and was lifted from the wheelchair to the tram. Erik was there to make sure the men doing the lifting understood my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help.

I am disabled and was just on a cruise on the Infinity that stopped in Cartegena. There were no HCA tours from the ship there or anywhere in the South America stops. Also the tours on the cruise all stated this in their discription of the tour. Good luck, The only place I was able to get off the ship was Lima and there was too much walking so I wasn't able to get of the bus ans there was no ramps at the places we stopped. Good luck!

Thanks for the help.

Are you able to get in a van with help? Then I can answer your questions. Nancie

When we took our South American cruise (Cape Horn) the only place we had wheelchair van transport was in Santiago, but we did find regular van tours where the guide and driver were willing to lift my mother from her wheelchair into a van seat. We did this all over and had a great time.

We arranged tours through http://www.southstartours.com and shared some with other people on our cruise which kept the costs down. We didn't arrange any excursions through the ship, and would have been disappointed if we tried. In a couple ports we had pre-arranged car-service tours (regular sedans) which made the transfers easier. I carried our slide board with us for these to help with transfers. If you can get into a cab (as we did in Buenos Aires) that is also often an option.

Things are improving slowing but surely in SA...even Rio now has some accessible transportation and has made modifications so you can get up to Sugarloaf and Corcovado even if you cannot do stairs.

• 2 years later...

If your stop in Costa Rica is Limon, then the cruiseline may have an accessible tour. My parents did a tour through Royal Caribbean in 2009. It was a combination train ride, boat ride on the canal, and bus tour. The train and bus both had wheelchair lifts. My mom was able to wheel onto the boat from the dock.

• 4 weeks later...

The dungeons are accessible in Cartegena for the most part. They poured concrete ramps down into all but 1 I think. The forts are near there so with some pushing help they should also be accessible now. I agree with Splinter. Ask about a sedan from the ship or if all are booked check that any taxi has the registered numberws match inside and out and the picture matches the driver.

Archived