Mangrove Forest

Singinman

• 1 month later...
If you haven't already visited Cartagena, here is a link to the Mangrove tunnels that I found on the web. Certainly gives an idea of what to expect!

http://thirdagetraveler.blogspot.com/2008/08/cartegena-columbia-up-and-coming.html

Thank you for the link, we are doing the Panama next month, and we have signed up for this tour. Thank you for the sneak peek

• 1 month later...
Dear Cruisealot54,

Let me know what your experience was like. We are going in April on the Island and have tentatively planned on seeing the "mangrove tunnels".

We'll be there in April on the Island too. Have signed up for this trip. Did you see much wildlife in the mangroves?

We are just back from the cruise and the mangrove forests. I'll write more in depth later, but for now advise all to the earliest tour available since birds and wildlife tend to be more active early in the morning.

We saw about 50 birds (most great blue and great white egrets) and nothing else. The canoes are not stable photography platforms so plan on high shutter speeds and great distances.

• 2 weeks later...

I copied the passage below from my cruise report which I will post in full when I figure out where to do it.

Our excursion of the day was to the mangrove swamps for a canoe ride. As we got off the ship, we were greeted by colorfully dressed locals giving away fruit. Our bus was new but cramped. We quickly left the city for the shore. Poverty was readily apparent. When we got to our starting point we were greeted by dancers and trinket sellers. Once we got in the canoes, we saw little children selling more trinkets. The canoes were old. Most leaked and required frequent bailing. Swamp is interesting, but we did not see many birds (an advertised come on for this excursion). We were too late in the day for the birds to be roosting. Photography was difficult. The canoes are not stable shooting platforms, and the birds were far away. Still, I’m glad we went. After the mangrove visit, we stopped to shop. This was a complete waste of time. I was practically mugged by a man selling cigars. He was in my face for five minutes while I was walking away saying no no no. My recommendation is to stay on the bus or stay under the shade trees on the side of the road away from the shops. Next we did a walking tour of the old town. This was the most interesting part of the day. TIP: Stay close to your guide or, when separated run around in a panic. It’s easy not to get lost when yours is the only group going down a narrow street, but when you hit St Peter’s Square there are a dozen groups. Still, when separated, as we were just scurry around in panic mode. The tour company has people in the square looking for strays, and you have on your “ignorant tourist badge” saying you belong to Willy. The stray catcher will slow you down and call Willy via cell phone and hook you up again.

We missed the trip to the jewelry store for emeralds.

I will keep watching this thread for additional questions. Fill free to ask

Thanks for posting your review on the excursion. Did you have the opportunity to ask other passengers about their excursions in Cartagena -- did you feel you missed out by not going up to the fortress? Also, how far was it from the ship to the "old town" -- is it a walking distance or did it seem pretty far (and not the safest?).

We are scheduled to do the same tour as you in April.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seriously considering the Mangrove Forest for the upcoming trip of 2/2010. Very interested in how it goes for those of you planning to take it in the near future. Read about "leaking" canoes....and one tipping over and a woman loosing her shoe. Maybe a little more excitement than I am interested in!!:p

Archived