Leaving Toddler in Room with Baby Monitor?

non

As the father of a toddler who rarely ever naps when not in a pack-n-play/crib, I still have to say no to leaving your kid in the room. I also think that on a ship your monitor reception will be terrible. I'm not even sure if you'd make it very far down the hall.

What my wife and I discovered, the hard way, on our last cruise with an 6mo is that you have to play the cards you are dealt. Some people have kids that easily adapt to sleeping in strollers or while you are holding them. We didn't, so that meant at least one of us spending a lot of time out on the balcony while she napped, every formal dinner attempt failing, and us being stuck on the balcony after 7 or 8 after she went to bed and then going to bed relatively early.

It's a risk you take and a responsibility you assume when you decide to take a young child on a cruise. It will never be as it was (unless you have some awesome relatives/grandparents to watch them) before the kids.

Would I do it again? Maybe. If our next child is more flexible. But probably not. It may be a few years before we can financially pull it off anyway.

Sorry to rant, I'm not trying to lecture, just my 2 cents.

Yes, unfortunately, I'm a Dad. I was actually thinking of saying I'm a Dad as another excuse for people not to flame me, but I was afraid of other Dads flamng me by implying all of them are the same as me... :D

Anyway, just called NCL and the deck where we are at is all ocean view (no balconies), and all of the deck is fully booked. That's just as well. I was prepared to spend some relaxing times anyway reading a book in the adjoining cabin. Nothing beats being curled up reading a book while being rocked in the ship. That was before my brain started working (or tried to) and started thinking of other alternatives...

At least I should take credit in offering to stay with the DD while my wife enjoys the ship. She needs this break more than I do being a full time mom at home. I honestly don't know how she stays sane.

You sound like you are a very good dad and husband. You may curl up with a good book, but I am sure you will be out like a light before too many pages are read. I have brought books on every cruise, but the number of pages I have read are only in double digits. I find that when I am in my cabin it truly is basically to sleep, either a nap or for the night. I am not sure what movies they have on board that week, but that is another option while sitting in the cabin.

As the other poster noted a baby monitor may not work. So don't count on it. There can be interference. You may want to consider a back up plan.

on a cruise i was on, a toddler was found walking around outside the cabin. The doors are not child proof(what is?). The toddler had simply woken up and went for a walk. So i would say this is a defo no-no. Babies will sleep anywhere when tired. We used to just take the baby out in the buggy and he would just fall asleep. He would sleep through shows etc. You get a few grannies looking down your nose at you but at the end of the day its a family holiday and the children fit in no problem.

Leave the child in the room. But rather than a baby monitor, use a walkie talkie instead, so you have far greater range.

Put a walkie talkie right near his crib or pack and play, and use some strong duct tape, to hold in the 'talk' button... then you can listen in continuously.

As soon as you hear him start to wake up, make a fast run back to your cabin...

Leave the child in the room. But rather than a baby monitor, use a walkie talkie instead, so you have far greater range.

Put a walkie talkie right near his crib or pack and play, and use some strong duct tape, to hold in the 'talk' button... then you can listen in continuously.

I guess you have never heard that squawking sound most walkie talkies make.....that is what you will probably be listing to.....:rolleyes:

I find it incredible that people are even thinking this is a good thing to do.....leave a child alone in a cabin......with a baby monitor or open squawking walkie talkie...:eek:

You will also hear everyone else talking on the same channel. In addition, you will be tying up a channel in an unsuccessful effort to monitor your kid.

It is your child - take the responsibility for the child.

DON

Archived