Veendam: AYW Dining Options

vcdarty

We'll be embarking in less than three weeks with another couple who, for health reasons, must dine by at least 6 or 6:30. On our last Veendam cruise the two of us had late dining at an 8-top with a delightful Canadian couple and two pleasant gals who dined with us about half the time. We had absolutely wonderful servers with whom we all developed a cheerful, jolly relationship.

This time things will be a little different. My question: with early AYWD can we be sure to get the same table at the same time with the same servers every night? We very much enjoyed the previous "stable" dinner arrangement and the company of our regular dining companions--we soon got past the dull de rigueurs of where ya'll from, etc., etc., and could enjoy real conversation.

We'd appreciate hearing about your experience in similar early AYWD situations.

We have done as you wish dining the past two cruises and have been very satisfied with it. We travel in suites so the Neptune staff sets up our times.

One several occasions as we were leaving the dining room we stopped at the entrance desk and made our reservations for the next night without problems. It is easier and you can get the same table if you request it.

Remember with as you wish dining there is no gurantees to getting the same table each night.

Overall we have been very satisfied with it.

The lido deck also serves the same menu that is in the dining room each night.

Ruth & Jim

We had AYWD on our recent Veendam Cruise. I called as soon as we got on the ship and requested a table size and time. I also did what has been suggested in the past, to go to the diningroom and look at table numbers. If you are in a Deluxe Verandah, your choice will be yours and you won't have to call each time...we enjoyed that extra perk on the Rotterdam last May.

We were given table 125 for 2 at 5:15 which we were happy with, so each morning at 8 I called to request that table. We were in an "A" and had concierge service, (but not the Neptune) and one morning when the AYWD # was busy so I called concierge and Rencell made the request and called back to confirm. She also made the reservation when I told her we would be on a shore ex and couldn't call. In the end she said the diningroom said the table was ours for the rest of the cruise. Putu and Sasmara were great stewards!

Two ladies who had the table next to us also kept the same table the entire cruise, but they did have to call each day. We found that the diningroom filled up pretty quickly when it opened at 5:15. We always received a reservation card in our room box which we presented to the maitre d when we checked in. We saw a number for guests dining at the same table each night.

The walk ins were quickly accomodated. We enjoyed having the same wait staff the entire cruise. In Guatamala we realized our shore ex would not get back in time for our chosen time, so we cancelled it. When we got back on the ship the reservation card was in our box and we still had time, so we rushed to the diningroom and kept our resevation.

We were very happy with AYWD!

Karen

Thanks for the helpful comments. And, Loreto, when you said that Putu and Samsara were great stewards--Oh, Yes. Putu was our head steward last February and a swell, solicitous chap. One night he did a few magic tricks that drew envious glances from adjoining tables.

Archived