Food First Class USAirways Phil to SJ

rogerdm

Has anyone recently flown to San Juan in first class? What food do they offer? My flight leaves at in the am about 9:45. I am diabetic and need this info to prepare ahead.

My flight back is at 1:25 pm. Any info would be helpful.

Either you or your TA needs to call Us Air and ask for a first class diabetic meal. There's no problem with doing that, but make sure you call again the day before your flight and reinforce the need for a diabetic first class meal. In first class, you generally have a choice of a beef or chicken (sometimes there's fish or pasta as a choice) meal, with a small salad, roll and butter and dessert which is usually cake or cheesecake.

My wife and I flew to PR last year on Delta (first class) and it was so non significant that I can't remember much about the meals.

Unless you take a(n) European Flight or Asian flight first class service is not what it used to be. The domestic airlines have cut most of the frills out of first class service.

The airlines will provide you special meals tho, ie, veggie, kosher, non sugar, non fat etc.

I remember my flights in the early 60s on United and Pan Am where you dressed up in sport jacket and tie just to fly. It was a great experience on a new Boeing 707 or DC-8. I used to enjoy flying in the late 60s early 70s. Today flying domestically is a chore and a stress filled event. It never was like that.

Don

Check directly with the airline. Except for long haul flights, meal service has been significantly cutback .. if not eliminated all together... even in first class.

Nothing more than a little snack in FC to go along with your drink.

That is really the truth about first class! Unless you are flying Business Class across the oceans it is just not worth it. On the last US leg of our Europe trip, I didn't even eat, there was just one item, a pasta that even my husband didn't like, of course he ate it anyway!

Rogerdm,

Yes, everyone is correct. As I was employed by USAirways for over 18 years. .

As a precaution, pack a light snack with you as well, just to be safe.

Also, ask at check-in to make sure the special meal has been ordered for you.

As a former supervisor at the ticket counter and gates I would make every effort if the meal was not on board at check-in to call the caterers to get one!!! Depending on the city you are departing from it can be done in less than an hour. PHL should not be a problem as they have a kitchen and ask the agent to make sure the meal is also ordered for your return flight from SJU.

As always, Thank you for flying USAirways!!!!

As a Philly resident, I would think food would be your last worry when flying US Air. After so many bad experiences with them, we will pay extra just to fly with someone else. Philadelphia is a US Air hub and the two terminals used by them are constantly having problems. Evacuations due to security breaches are commonplace. Th lines at check-in are ridiculously long. Three years ago, I took a flight to a cruise in San Juan. We had to check-in at one terminal and then go to another terminal for the correct gate. Just last week, there was a situation where passengers coming into Philly had to wait for HOURS after their flight landed to get their luggage. The airline said there are many fewer luggage handlers now, so passengers can expect to wait to get bags.

US Air is a disgrace- they should just go belly-up and make way for Southwest and others who know how to run an airline.

Rob

Always prepare for things to go wrong - especially when there is a health issue like yours.

We are low carbing, so we carry nuts as snacks since you now only get pretzels on the flight. Besides that, DH doesn't like cheese and all foods on airplanes seem to be made with cheese. I know, I know - he could take the cheese off the sandwich - but once cheese has touched his sandwich, it's a no-go.

You wonder why people go on the plane with everything but the "kitchen sink" - it's because you have to pack for emergencies - like sitting on the runway for 4 hours during gridlock in Chicago - or being waylaid to a closed airport in the middle of the night with no way of getting home, the rental cars shut down, and no cabs on site.

Just as you pack your insulin in a carry-on - always pack a couple of snacks.

I checked with USairways and they no longer provide special meals including diabetic meals. So, I will bring along some snacks just in case. USairways is the only airline I have ever flown on and I will do anything I can to help them survive. I strongly feel that obligation.

Archived