Greatam, Globiliser, Flyertalker - Need Your Expert Advise Please!

ldb2

You seem to always have very knowledgeable and wise advise on the cruise air boards, particularly regarding consolidator tickets. We are doing a TA from Rome to New York next October, and we are now within the 330 day window to book our tickets. I remember a very detailed and thorough explanation of types of reasonable tickets some time ago but cannot find what I am looking for through the search engine. I have found some very fair sounding one way prices listed through the website of a reputable travel agency (with multiple offices in Calgary and across Canada - perhaps the US too - I'm not sure if they are in the US or not!). These one way flights are with British Airways, for a much cheaper price than one can obtain on the BA website. If I remember correctly, you said these types of tickets might just be volume discounted tickets as opposed to consolidator tickets. Are the discounted tickets sold through "flesh and blood travel agencies" the same as say a regular economy, non-refundable ticket purchased directly from an airline, ie. if the airline cancels or changes your flight, do you have any recourse and can they still be used? Or are they like consolidator tickets where you very well might be completely out of luck if the airline makes any kind of change to your original flight? And how can one find out if they are indeed consolidator tickets prior to buying them?

Sorry for the lengthy post - and I'm not sure if I'm being clear with my questions, but thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide in clarifying this issue for me before I take the leap and make the purchase.

Thanks again! Laurie

You seem to always have very knowledgeable and wise advise on the cruise air boards, particularly regarding consolidator tickets. We are doing a TA from Rome to New York next October, and we are now within the 330 day window to book our tickets. I remember a very detailed and thorough explanation of types of reasonable tickets some time ago but cannot find what I am looking for through the search engine. I have found some very fair sounding one way prices listed through the website of a reputable travel agency (with multiple offices in Calgary and across Canada - perhaps the US too - I'm not sure if they are in the US or not!). These one way flights are with British Airways, for a much cheaper price than one can obtain on the BA website. If I remember correctly, you said these types of tickets might just be volume discounted tickets as opposed to consolidator tickets. Are the discounted tickets sold through "flesh and blood travel agencies" the same as say a regular economy, non-refundable ticket purchased directly from an airline, ie. if the airline cancels or changes your flight, do you have any recourse and can they still be used? Or are they like consolidator tickets where you very well might be completely out of luck if the airline makes any kind of change to your original flight? And how can one find out if they are indeed consolidator tickets prior to buying them?

Sorry for the lengthy post - and I'm not sure if I'm being clear with my questions, but thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide in clarifying this issue for me before I take the leap and make the purchase.

Thanks again! Laurie

You will have to read the "fine print" in whatever ticket you are considering buying. What you are primarily looking for are the words "endorsable". Also, any EXTRA restrictions or EXTREMELY high change fees (over $250.00pp) are usually good hints that you have HEAVILY restricted, not good for much consolidator tickets.

Just a possibility-have you looked at a cheapie RT ticket from your local airport in Canada to JFK, then one way JFK to Rome on Aer Lingus???? Also, any other cheapie Canadian carrier that sells tickets to NYC???? Aer Lingus is one of few carriers that sell TRUE one way tickets to/from Europe

Thank you so much Greatam - I knew I could count on your wisdom and your generosity in sharing your knowledge. We actually have considered Aer Lingus as one of our options because of your previous advice to others! We will be flying out of Calgary to our "take-off" point for Europe - then back to Calgary from New York where the Dream will be disembarking, using Aeroplan points. (That's the reason I would like to book everything now - so we have the best availability of FF flight choices now that they have just become available up to our return date). So flying into JFK and using Aer Lingus is a definite possibility. Our only other option was to fly to either Toronto or Montreal, and from there taking Air Transat (charter airline) . We would prefer to depart from Canada, simply to avoid the added hassle of clearing US customs and immigration to fly into the US for a departure point (and also, unless our Cdn. dollar improves again, the exchange rate for hotel, etc. kills us). However, Air Transat receives very mixed reviews, and my additional fear is that being a charter airline in this day and age, if they either go under completely, or cancel the flight we are booked on due to lack of sales for that flight, we don't have much option to just get another flight. However, they DO have very reasonable priced, direct one way flights from either Cdn. departure point. Another advantage to the BA flights I found is that we can fly directly to Venice (where we want to start our precruise visit) daily, rather than just once a week, and from what I understand BA IS a decent airline to fly with.

I did call an agent from the agency I am referring to above and asked if they were consolidator tickets; she said no - they are a large volume agency and have an agreement with the airline due to volume. However, do I dare take her word for it?? The "flight conditions and booking terms" pop-up box that outlines the penalties states 100.00 per ticket change fee, 200.00 cancellation fee. It also says "fares sold by THNW, then at the bottom says "thank you for choosing Network". (disclaimer: Network is NOT any part of the name of this agency, just to make sure I'm not breaking the rules here) Should this be telling me something? Does anyone know? Anyhow, thanks again for all your advice!

Laurie

I recently travelled on a one way flight BA from YVR to LHR, booked through FN initials, based it seems in Toronto. Had no problems and BA is a nice way to fly. The problem with Air Transat is their strict luggage allowance and they weigh carry ons and charge hefty overweight fees.

Since Zoom went under we don't have many options.

Idb2, you mentioned you were using Aeroplan points. If you have enough points, why don't you try and use Aeroplan for the whole shebang? I don't know if it would be possible, but I do know that I once got a YQB-MIA departure flight with a FLL-YUL return, so call them and see if you can combine a Europe departure flight with a return from New York. All they can say is no...:D

Thanks Maryanne and Twickenham!

I didn't think it would be possible to use the points for that type of a combination, since the Europe leg is much longer than the return leg but as you say, it sure doesn't hurt to ask - I will call them. Thank you for the suggestion.

Maryanne - when you say FN initials - do you mean the site where the opening page has a red banner with a picture of a pilot in the top corner? It's good to know you enjoyed BA - they seem to be a very good airline, but of course when you start reading reviews you find those who love every airline and those who would never fly them again, so it's all pretty subjective.

Decisions, decisions.........

Laurie

The $100 change; $200 cancellation fee kinda proves they are NOT consolidator tickets. Heck, that is $100 Canadian dollars even<grin> (I have a place in Nova Scotia, so I am allowed to make wisecracks about exchange rates). I think you are in good shape.

No it is not that one but has network in the name, same first name. It is a member of the BBB. It seems it is still too early to find out their prices for next October. I am booked on the transatlantic Dream too but am not sure yet if I will do it. If I do am tempted like you to use aeroplan miles return to New York and then Aer Lingus New York to Rome with a few days stopover in Dublin

Archived