Question for Heinbloed.

goody1

Hi Heinbloed,

Your advice and suggestions are well known on CC forums and I'm looking for your assistance.

My wife and I are in Warnemunde on the 3rd August with Holland America and are in Port for about 15 hours. I know that most passengers will go to Berlin, but we don't really fancy sitting on a train/bus/car for 6 hours or more. Would really appreciate your advice on an alternative option. I have travelled extensively throughout Germany in the past with DB and my German from a tourist point of view is passable, so travelling on our own is not a concern to us. Thanks in advance.

Hi Heinbloed,

Your advice and suggestions are well known on CC forums and I'm looking for your assistance.

My wife and I are in Warnemunde on the 3rd August with Holland America and are in Port for about 15 hours. I know that most passengers will go to Berlin, but we don't really fancy sitting on a train/bus/car for 6 hours or more. Would really appreciate your advice on an alternative option. I have travelled extensively throughout Germany in the past with DB and my German from a tourist point of view is passable, so travelling on our own is not a concern to us. Thanks in advance.

As already advised by the other cruiser:

one option is going westbound:

Wismar

Schwerin

Lübeck

Bad Doberan / Molli-Train

Ludwigslust

I will test in May a new option to go eastbound to see more nature than city like

Riebnitz-Damgarten

and the peninsulars/islands in the Baltic Sea

You are from Scotland - you have so much nature that maybe Lübeck - Schwerin would be the nicer alternatives for you.

How about waiting to May until I am back and hope to put some pictures to this forum and then you decide???

It's time enough as you go in August and on local trains there are no reservations required.

Will you have the patience???

Regards,

HeinBloed

As already advised by the other cruiser:

one option is going westbound:

Wismar

Schwerin

Lübeck

Bad Doberan / Molli-Train

Ludwigslust

I will test in May a new option to go eastbound to see more nature than city like

Riebnitz-Damgarten

and the peninsulars/islands in the Baltic Sea

You are from Scotland - you have so much nature that maybe Lübeck - Schwerin would be the nicer alternatives for you.

How about waiting to May until I am back and hope to put some pictures to this forum and then you decide???

It's time enough as you go in August and on local trains there are no reservations required.

Will you have the patience???

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks Heinbloed. I think we'll head westbound and go to Lubeck and Schwerin, although Rostock is also an option on the return. My wife and I enjoy wandering around the Altstadt in German cities and I know that Schwerin has the Schloss, but in your opinion which is the nicer of the other two cities to wander around, enjoying German food and beer, especially the beer!! at an outdoor restaurant. Finally, can I use the Lander ticket for our travels? Thanks again for all your advice.

Thanks Heinbloed. I think we'll head westbound and go to Lubeck and Schwerin, although Rostock is also an option on the return. My wife and I enjoy wandering around the Altstadt in German cities and I know that Schwerin has the Schloss, but in your opinion which is the nicer of the other two cities to wander around, enjoying German food and beer, especially the beer!! at an outdoor restaurant. Finally, can I use the Lander ticket for our travels? Thanks again for all your advice.

Länderticket is the perfect ticket to spend less money and to get to cities like Schwerin and Lübeck.

Currently (subject to changes in December 2009) the Länderticket is available for

1st class 45.00 EUR

2nd class 25.00 EUR

if you purchase it at the ticket machine.

I see that you will call on Monday, Aug 3, 2009. Your ship is arriving very early (06.00 hrs) and will leave extremely late.

At the same time CRYSTAL SYMPHONY and CELEBRITY CENTURY are in town. I am therefore not sure if really all three of you can berth in Warnemünde and if one maybe need to go to Rostock Sea Port instead.

Unfortunately the port authorities has not released the call list for 2009 yet.

Once it's available we can check if you will really berth in Warnemünde or not.

Therefore I will revert once the list is published.

Generally you should discuss with your wife:

Due to early arrival:

are you interested to leave as early from the ship and to pay for the time before 9 am???

I am asking because Länder-Ticket is valid on a weekday after 9 am.

There will be no need because your ship is leaving very late.

So talk to you once we got the call-list.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We are due on Journey 1st July 09? My husband and I are nearly 100% certain that we will hire a car. The drive towards Keil to the Lakes which looks an interesting area by reading, then work our way back down the Coast. Is this doable and sensible what would your suggestions be as to what we must see. On our return part of the cruise ( a week later) we are docked in Lubeck so could do that part by again hiring a car. Just want to make sure we max both days.Many thanks. Pat.

PS. We love driving and finding tucked away places.

We are due on Journey 1st July 09? My husband and I are nearly 100% certain that we will hire a car. The drive towards Keil to the Lakes which looks an interesting area by reading, then work our way back down the Coast. Is this doable and sensible what would your suggestions be as to what we must see. On our return part of the cruise ( a week later) we are docked in Lubeck so could do that part by again hiring a car. Just want to make sure we max both days.Many thanks. Pat.

PS. We love driving and finding tucked away places.

I guess you will dock in Lübeck-Travemünde. So it's few miles (10 minutes drive) from Lübeck.

Yes indeed - it's nice to drive from there through the Lake of Plön towards Kiel and then northbound to Kappeln an der Schlei.

A very nice part of Germany. You will enjoy it.

July 01, 2009 is a Wednesday.

The best would be to rent with

Hertz

They have a rental station just round the corner of the quay:

Godewind in Lübeck-Travemünde

You are berthing at OSTPREUSSENKAI.

If you open this map:

http://www.luebeck-tourism.de/images/stories/pdf/travemuende_stadtplan.pdf

E7 = Ostpreußenkai

G6 = Godewind

It would be a short walk only.

All other car rental companies are in Lübeck so you need a transfer or a delivery which will occur addtional costs and waste time.

Check the links. If it is what you like to see let me know to make more concrete plans.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 1 month later...
Hi Heinbloed,

Meanwhile I am back from my cruise and Rostock port confirmed that you will berth at Terminal 2 = P8 in Warnemünde. CRYSTAL SYMPHONY will go to Rostock.

Therefore we can start your plannings if you tell me if you checked the links and have your ideas what you like to see.

I cannot help to decide just help to find the best way after you decided.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Heinbloed, my parents and I will visit Warnemunde on NCL Jewel on 30 Jun 2009. Our ship scheduled to arrive at 7:30am and leave at 10:00pm. After reading all the advices you gave to other fellow cruisers it seems that doing a trip to Berlin on public transport is rather risky. How about a trip to Hamburg or do you have any other suggestion?

Hi Heinbloed, my parents and I will visit Warnemunde on NCL Jewel on 30 Jun 2009. Our ship scheduled to arrive at 7:30am and leave at 10:00pm. After reading all the advices you gave to other fellow cruisers it seems that doing a trip to Berlin on public transport is rather risky. How about a trip to Hamburg or do you have any other suggestion?

Hamburg would work very well:

see green section (scroll down):

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-lbeckschwerin-train.html

But check also the other's discussion about Lübeck and Schwerin.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 months later...

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-lbeckschwerin-train.html

Regards

HeinBloed

Dear HeinBloed

You gave me the above information earlier regarding my excursion to Hamburg. I would like to ask for your further assistance on the followings:

1) Does any of the ticket you suggested in my itinerary offer unlimited bus/metro travel in Hamburg? If not, what do you suggest?

2) Does 1 ticket #15 serves my whole journey from Warnemunde to Hamburg and back?

Thank you!

Regards

HeinBloed

Dear HeinBloed

You gave me the above information earlier regarding my excursion to Hamburg. I would like to ask for your further assistance on the followings:

1) Does any of the ticket you suggested in my itinerary offer unlimited bus/metro travel in Hamburg? If not, what do you suggest?

2) Does 1 ticket #15 serves my whole journey from Warnemunde to Hamburg and back?

Thank you!

subject you are leaving 08.22 hrs from Warnmünde:

Ticket 2 covers all public transport in Hamburg.

Only the 2-digit buses (express bus = "Schnellbus") require an addiotional surcharge when you board the busses.

But you need to

1 x ticket 7 FOR EACH PERSON (Warnemünde - Rostock before 9 am)

+

1 x ticket 2 FOR EACH 5 PERSONS (Rostock - Hamburg - Warnemünde after 9 am)

Ticket 15 makes only sense if you want to return from Hamburg with the long-distance train and want to return 17.44 hrs instead of 16.36 hrs on regional train. Then you need ticket 15 for each of you additionally.

From Warnemünde to Hamburg and back and no public transport = 2 x ticket 15 (outward and return journeys) - BUT THIS IS TOO EXPENSIVE as there are cheaper tickets.

Once again you need ticket 15 only if you want to stay until 17.44 hrs in Hamburg for your return journey as it is a long-distance train and ticket 2 is not valid on this train.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for your clarification, HeinBloed.

According to the schedule, I should arrive Hamburg Hbf at around 11:30am and then must be at the station by 16:00 to start my return journey. That means I have approx. 4-4.5 hrs at Hamburg. Is this enough time to visit a few key visitor spots in the city and are those spots within a short distance and easily accessible from the train station?

Thanks for your clarification, HeinBloed.

According to the schedule, I should arrive Hamburg Hbf at around 11:30am and then must be at the station by 16:00 to start my return journey. That means I have approx. 4-4.5 hrs at Hamburg. Is this enough time to visit a few key visitor spots in the city and are those spots within a short distance and easily accessible from the train station?

Do you remember the former location of the Kowloon Canton Railways just opposite of the Peninsular Hotel???

This would the location in Hong Kong of Hamburg Central Station compared to Nathan Road / Star Ferry Terminal...

To avoid any double walks and wasting times:

Option 1: you take the HoHo-Bus which start from "Kirchenallee" side of the station:

"Kirchenallee" walk towards track 1 exits

the other side is the city side to the pedestrian zone (track 14).

Option 2: as your ticket is valid for public transport:

Take Bus 112 from City Side (Exit to Track 14) towards Neumühlen Övelgönne to U St. Pauli

1. spot St. Pauli - Reeperbahn (Amusement district / Red Light District)

Walking to Landungsbrücke / Landing Stages (walk 8-10 minutes)

2. spot port / Landing Stages

Take subway (here elevated like in New Territories) U3 towards Berliner Tor (Mümmelmannsberg - they change currently the lines in Hamburg so I am not sure how they will display - but the side to the waterfront!!!) to Rathaus.

3. Rathaus / Town Hall

you are now in the heart of Hamburg.

from here it's a block to

4. Biinnenalster / Jungfernstieg (Inner Alster River Lake / Shopping District)

From here you walk slowly back through Mönckebergstrasse / Spittalerstrasse back to Central Station

and your time incl. lunch is well allocated until your train departs and you have the most essentials I would show my friends from Asia if they have 4.5 hours time to see Hamburg.

No idea how long you are on a cruise...

Since I was very disappointed on the Sushi on NCL I am not sure how the Chinese food was...

If you miss Dim Sum and some time is left after your walk:

opposite of Central Station in Kirchenallee there is the theater building (look to the left - if the station building is in your back). Left of the Deutsche Schauspielhaus (theater) building there is a Chinese Restaurant in the upper floor.

It's so good: even the Chinese Consul is giving there their Chinese banquettes.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Do you see my e-mail-address in my signature or in my blog???

Send me an e-mail and you get something for your Hamburg plannings.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks again, HeinBloed. It's so kind of you to use my hometown as a reference. I think I can manage it and get the most from my limited time there.

Here in Hong Kong we have the best Chinese food in the Guangdong Region. I could hardly find any good Chinese restaurants in Europe. If you by any chance visit Hong Kong you must not missed. Forget MacDonald, try out the local flavours at small restaurants or even along the streets.

Archived