Balcony privacy question

Postman1963

You need to know your neighbors - our first balcony cruise we never heard or saw anyone, and we had a great night out, our grown son was out wandering around, the neighbors were no where in sight or sound, the ocean noises and were loud, and the balcony was just hanging there - and well, I had on this really great red dress... it was one of the highlights of the cruise. On our next balcony cruise, the neighbors were unpredictable and with no kids around the afternoons were "delightful" so no balcony nookie. Maybe next time...... You will know when the time is right - or not - just go with the flow. As for any "fluids": the literature left in the cabins says not to leave personal items on the balconies as they are cleaned when in port - so I suspect they know how their balconies are used:p

Oh hadn't thought of that.. that would suck.. all excited to get romantic on the balcony and feel like you have the whole ocean to yourselves... and then you hear the lovely sound of children playing on the balcony next door. Ugh. That would not be cool. Well for this giant guiness book balcony "gang bang" we're all planning here, NO CHILDREN ALLOWED. Duh!

Oh hadn't thought of that.. that would suck.. all excited to get romantic on the balcony and feel like you have the whole ocean to yourselves... and then you hear the lovely sound of children playing on the balcony next door. Ugh. That would not be cool. Well for this giant guiness book balcony "gang bang" we're all planning here, NO CHILDREN ALLOWED. Duh!

Absolutely

No children on The Guiness Gang Bang cruise. And you if do bring them, the sames rules apply as at home......

Knock on the balcony door first and wait for Mommy or Daddy to say "Come In" *LOL*

My wife and I are planning on a very romantic cruise on the Star in January. We are hoping to take our romance onto the balcony on several occasions. Will we have privacy or should we be more discreet in our romancing?

let me ask you a question....why would you want anyone and everyone to see you and your wife doing private stuff on the balcony of a ship? As far as I'm concerned, if your going to do private stuff on the balcony, you my as well just do it outside the doors of your room........

let me ask you a question....why would you want anyone and everyone to see you and your wife doing private stuff on the balcony of a ship? As far as I'm concerned, if your going to do private stuff on the balcony, you my as well just do it outside the doors of your room........

I don't think the OP was wanting to know if there will be privacy because they WANT people to hear or see them. I think they want privacy and were asking if they would have it.

I do not understand your comment or comparison.

When we are on our balcony, we can not see ANYONE else unless I go to the rail and lean over, and then I can only see the people next door, or other people hanging over the balcony. I can not see other peoplesitting i their chairs, or whatever.

If I am in the hallway, everyone walking up and down the corridor can see me.

No comparison. The balcony is very private.

I do not understand your comment or comparison.

When we are on our balcony, we can not see ANYONE else unless I go to the rail and lean over, and then I can only see the people next door, or other people hanging over the balcony. I can not see other peoplesitting i their chairs, or whatever.

If I am in the hallway, everyone walking up and down the corridor can see me.

No comparison. The balcony is very private.

Not when your neighbor leans over to say hello to you. On all the NCL ships i have been on, you can look over very easy and see the next balcony....actually the people next to me were smoking and i can see there cigarette and hand over the balcony from mine. There is a big space.

Not when your neighbor leans over to say hello to you. On all the NCL ships i have been on, you can look over very easy and see the next balcony....actually the people next to me were smoking and i can see there cigarette and hand over the balcony from mine. There is a big space.

Seeing someone's hand extending past the railing on their balcony is not the same as seeing ON TO their balcony, which can only be done if you make the effort to look into their private space. Would you do that at someone's residence? If your neighbor built a fence between your houses that you couldn't see over, would you set up a ladder and climb up to 'say hello'? I hope not!! The dividers between the balconies are there for PRIVACY and should be respected.

Seeing someone's hand extending past the railing on their balcony is not the same as seeing ON TO their balcony, which can only be done if you make the effort to look into their private space. Would you do that at someone's residence? If your neighbor built a fence between your houses that you couldn't see over, would you set up a ladder and climb up to 'say hello'? I hope not!! The dividers between the balconies are there for PRIVACY and should be respected.

Of all the balconys i have been on I have always had someone lean over mine.

Edited by bklynangel

Of all the balconys i have been on I have always had someone lean over mine.

So what you're saying is that you are consistently in cabins with nosy neighbors? :p

Do you modify your behaviour in the private space you paid for out of fear that a stranger will invade your privacy? Does being prepared for someone to be rude make it any less rude?

As I said, there are privacy barriers for a reason. Anyone choosing to violate their neighbor's privacy by extending their neck around a barrier clearly erected to prevent them from seeing onto the next balcony should be prepared to see people doing PRIVATE things. If we ever have a balcony, I guarantee anyone peeping at our private space will get an eyeful of flesh they won't soon forget. Some things you just can't unsee. :eek::p

So what you're saying is that you are consistently in cabins with nosy neighbors? :p

Do you modify your behaviour in the private space you paid for out of fear that a stranger will invade your privacy? Does being prepared for someone to be rude make it any less rude?

As I said, there are privacy barriers for a reason. Anyone choosing to violate their neighbor's privacy by extending their neck around a barrier clearly erected to prevent them from seeing onto the next balcony should be prepared to see people doing PRIVATE things. If we ever have a balcony, I guarantee anyone peeping at our private space will get an eyeful of flesh they won't soon forget. Some things you just can't unsee. :eek::p

Now thats what I am talking about. I am soooo looking forward to joining the balcony club after watching and learning from this thread. If you are offended by what I am doing in my own private {and paid for} space then don't look.

:(

• 1 month later...

I hope you consider your daughter- you do not want to scar her for life. Perhaps she will not go with you this time?

Damn. I wrote the best reply to you last night and it vanished. *sigh*

Anyway, I basically said I don't think anyone should ever be attacked for stating their opinion, but I also think that sometimes we can feel attacked when it wasn't anyone's intention to do so.

For instance, do you not think it's a bit insulting to assume that anyone having sex on a balcony must be leaving bodily fluids for the next passengers? I feel like I know you a little bit from your posts, and I don't for a moment believe that you would ever intentionally insult anyone, but that's a pretty big assumption. I've never had sex on a cruise ship balcony, but I have on apartment and hotel balconies... and I've never left any evidence behind. In fact, I've probably left them cleaner than when I arrived - which is why it's a good thing I always put a towel or blanket down before making contact with any surface that's been exposed to that many strangers!

I do absolutely agree with you, though - IF someone left their bodily fluids behind, it would be disgusting... I just don't think that assumption can be made simply because of someone's choice of 'where' they choose to 'enjoy themselves'. I'm a bit of a germophobe myself in many ways, and as far as I'm concerned, with rented accommodations in general - if there's a surface that a human can come in contact with, it's a good bet that someone has done something 'dirty' on it. By the same token, I also believe that just because someone chooses not to indulge on a balcony, it cannot be assumed that they are a prude, or jealous of those who do. :)

Philip 217 posted once that stewards find used condoms on balconies all the time-so maybe you would not- but many would. I hope they tip their stewards well.

You know I don't care who has balcony sex,( however, I do mind people posting and bragging -that should be private between the couple)

What I find disgusting is those who have posted that they have done it in the PUBLIC hot tubs. (Look up the "Balcony Club" thread in the floataway lounge)

One person actually bragged that they had done it on the helicopter pad of Mariner of the Seas with the ship's officers watching. So yes, many DO want to put on a show for others and YES-they get off on it- and I am positive they are not worried about leaving bodily fluids behind. Another very good reason for washing my hands lots and using that sanitizer gel they have everywhere. I am more concerned about that then I am of noro virus.

Philip 217 posted once that stewards find used condoms on balconies all the time-so maybe you would not- but many would. I hope they tip their stewards well.

You know I don't care who has balcony sex,( however, I do mind people posting and bragging -that should be private between the couple)

What I find disgusting is those who have posted that they have done it in the PUBLIC hot tubs. (Look up the "Balcony Club" thread in the floataway lounge)

One person actually bragged that they had done it on the helicopter pad of Mariner of the Seas with the ship's officers watching. So yes, many DO want to put on a show for others and YES-they get off on it- and I am positive they are not worried about leaving bodily fluids behind. Another very good reason for washing my hands lots and using that sanitizer gel they have everywhere. I am more concerned about that then I am of noro virus.

I agree with you totally. You know they say people that brag about it are the ones not getting it!:D These posts are a total turn off to those of us who have to sail on the same ships. I'm sorry if I offended the people who want to have "Sex " or "Romance as they call it" on their balconys, but you are offending all of the others who like to keep....personal time with our loved ones private.When we are on these ships....they don't belong to us, its not like your in your own backyard..that is a different case.

Edited by bklynangel

My wife and I are planning on a very romantic cruise on the Star in January. We are hoping to take our romance onto the balcony on several occasions. Will we have privacy or should we be more discreet in our romancing?

Please. Now when I take MY cruise, I'll be looking for romantic encounters. Great. Just what i need to see :rolleyes:

So..I guess they're more private than I thought...ok, go for it!

Edited by Traveller20074

I agree with you totally. You know they say people that brag about it are the ones not getting it!:D These posts are a total turn off to those of us who have to sail on the same ships. I'm sorry if I offended the people who want to have "Sex " or "Romance as they call it" on their balconys, but you are offending all of the others who like to keep....personal time with our loved ones private.When we are on these ships....they don't belong to us, its not like your in your own backyard..that is a different case.

I have thought the same thing- I often wondered if some couples only "participate" on cruises-LOL! I can't help but be amazed that many make such a big deal out of something that should be normal in a healthy sexual relationship-some posts here remind me of teenage boys bragging about their first time.

I have thought the same thing- I often wondered if some couples only "participate" on cruises-LOL! I can't help but be amazed that many make such a big deal out of something that should be normal in a healthy sexual relationship-some posts here remind me of teenage boys bragging about their first time.

It's true that some do seem to be "bragging," but you know, most of us are just answering a specific question asked. We base our answers on personal experience, cleanliness practices, and opinions. If you don't want to read things like this, then skip the darn thread.

Please. Now when I take MY cruise, I'll be looking for romantic encounters. Great. Just what i need to see :rolleyes:

So..I guess they're more private than I thought...ok, go for it!

:confused: Do you mean you'll be scanning the public areas of the ship for couples indulging where, IMO, they shouldn't (e.g., public hottubs/pools, the helicopter deck, etc.)? Or do you mean that you'll be peering around your balcony divider in hopes of "catching" your neighbors being intimate?

If the former, that's up to you. We have better things to do with our time around the ship than to spend any doing that. If the latter, well, just don't. It's rude beyond belief, IMO, for anyone to peer around what is obviously a privacy divider to look into someone else's balcony (and cabin, if the drapes are open). It's none of your (or my or anyone else's) business what people do on their own balconies unless it interferes with your own cruise experience.

As I wrote above, don't read the threads if you find them a turn off or offensive. Did you really not consider that pax might use their private balconies for private activities when the ship is at sea? Did you figure that if you didn't know about it, then it couldn't possibly have happened?

No one is giving graphic details. No one is posting pix (thank goodness). When we book a cabin with a private balcony, that's what we expect. That cabin and balcony do "belong" to us to use as we see fit (as long as it's legal activity and does not directly negatively affect others) regardless of how offensive the very idea seems to be to you. IMO, you being offended by these posts and by the idea of intimacy on the balcony is your problem. No one is asking to have sex in front of you, for crying out loud! I don't discuss the details of my private life with anyone except my husband and my doctor. Regardless of how some TV shows depict women discussing every encounter and every relationship in graphic detail, it is not the reality for anyone I know. We don't find it appropriate to go into specifics when we talk about our marriages. (Which doesn't mean one of us might not be particularly happy one day and mention that her husband has been "particularly attentive lately." We all get the idea with no more information needed.)

Anyway, the bottom line (again, no pun) is that if you are turned off or offended by threads about balcony activities, then skip the threads. No one is forcing you to read the posts--You choose to do that on your own.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

If you hear ohhh and ahhhs in the next balcony what does the neighbor think they are going to see looking over to say "hi".

It's true that some do seem to be "bragging," but you know, most of us are just answering a specific question asked. We base our answers on personal experience, cleanliness practices, and opinions. If you don't want to read things like this, then skip the darn thread.

:confused: Do you mean you'll be scanning the public areas of the ship for couples indulging where, IMO, they shouldn't (e.g., public hottubs/pools, the helicopter deck, etc.)? Or do you mean that you'll be peering around your balcony divider in hopes of "catching" your neighbors being intimate?

If the former, that's up to you. We have better things to do with our time around the ship than to spend any doing that. If the latter, well, just don't. It's rude beyond belief, IMO, for anyone to peer around what is obviously a privacy divider to look into someone else's balcony (and cabin, if the drapes are open). It's none of your (or my or anyone else's) business what people do on their own balconies unless it interferes with your own cruise experience.

As I wrote above, don't read the threads if you find them a turn off or offensive. Did you really not consider that pax might use their private balconies for private activities when the ship is at sea? Did you figure that if you didn't know about it, then it couldn't possibly have happened?

No one is giving graphic details. No one is posting pix (thank goodness). When we book a cabin with a private balcony, that's what we expect. That cabin and balcony do "belong" to us to use as we see fit (as long as it's legal activity and does not directly negatively affect others) regardless of how offensive the very idea seems to be to you. IMO, you being offended by these posts and by the idea of intimacy on the balcony is your problem. No one is asking to have sex in front of you, for crying out loud! I don't discuss the details of my private life with anyone except my husband and my doctor. Regardless of how some TV shows depict women discussing every encounter and every relationship in graphic detail, it is not the reality for anyone I know. We don't find it appropriate to go into specifics when we talk about our marriages. (Which doesn't mean one of us might not be particularly happy one day and mention that her husband has been "particularly attentive lately." We all get the idea with no more information needed.)

Anyway, the bottom line (again, no pun) is that if you are turned off or offended by threads about balcony activities, then skip the threads. No one is forcing you to read the posts--You choose to do that on your own.

beachchick

Actually, I beleive you know which posts I meant-that come off sounding like adolescent braggarts, I never meant all did.

Well, back to the point, I do not really care, as I said, what others do. I have never seen anyone having sex on ship-and if I did-I would turn away-I certainly would not watch a private moment between two people.