Where to shop/eat on Christmas Day?

I was on the Dutch side of the island in Sept. Several of the shop owners said that though they would like to be open, that by law they can't be open on Christmas Day. Of course, that is the day our ship will be in port this year.

I was wondering about the French side of the island, do the same laws apply? Just wondering more about being able to have lunch somewhere, more than shopping. Planning on a beach day and don't want to have to worry about going back to the ship to eat.

I really don't want to do a ship excursion as we don't want to be on a time table. Anybody have experience here?

Hi,

I will be on the same ship, the same time as you! I have book a tour with Bernard Tours for when we are in St Martin (Christmas Day) and asked him about shops being opened. He replied to me saying that SOME shops will be open and especially on the French side of the Island.

Hope that helps.

By the say, you should come over to our Roll Call - there are a lot of us from all over the world and we are a friendly lot!

Happy cruising.

I sent a request to Bernards Tours about Christmas Day and if they would skip Marigot since a lot of info I have gotten says that the shops are closed, period, on the french side on holidays. The reponse I got today was that yes he will be working, but yes, the shops would be closed.

I am just aggravated that a cruise line would have a port day on a holiday! This is a chance of a lifetime for my young family,and though I'm sure it will be memorable, I wanted all the opportunity to take in everything, holiday or not. :mad::(

I have also requested info about shops/eaterys being open from Joyce Prince and she also has said that there will be little to nothing open. I am just hopeful that the taxis are running so we can at least get to a beach for the day! :)

Archived